NEW DYNO VIDS, then disaster...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When I built my TT Toyota V8 240z Datsun I built the firewall from 2mm thick Hi Tensile steel sheet with just this sort of failure in mind as I was using a home made Twin Plate ;)

Glad to read the injuries were only bruising as CK said it could have been so much worse!

yota8791

Jan 20, 2009
virginia
whitemike;1603751 said:
Glad to see you're not giving up like many here.
no i cant give up i love the car to much and have to much invested in it to give up on it.

CajunKenny;1603758 said:
Man, that is just terrible. It could've been disastrous for your lower limbs. I'm glad that you only suffered bruising. Any pics of bodily carnage? ;)

Your poor car! There aren't many of us 91'ers left! How are you going to deal with the firewall and what all got damaged behind the dash?

Keep your chin up...SM is here for moral support! :)

na no pics of me lol, got some good drugs and a scar on my nipple where the 4pt harness bout cut it off hahaha. im gonna just straightn out what i can and ill just weld new metal over the holes. i know it busted up the blower motor and stuff for the heater and im sure some wires are cut in two, not sure what else. thanks for all the support

IJ.;1603761 said:
When I built my TT Toyota V8 240z Datsun I built the firewall from 2mm thick Hi Tensile steel sheet with just this sort of failure in mind as I was using a home made Twin Plate ;)

Glad to read the injuries were only bruising as CK said it could have been so much worse!

yea i plan on deff re-enforcing the fire wall and the trany tunnel and try to find a trany scatter sheild or blanket

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
what kind of flywheel bolts were you using? it looks as though they sheared in half.. if the mech reused your stock bolts it could be your problem as theyre not meant to be reused. Get a set of ARPs well worth the money and reuseable

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
gaboonviper85;1604150 said:
Because people are morons

If you had dealt with the problems that Thomas has dealt with since this quote unquote professional engineered into this car when he assembled it you would understand alittle more. I looked at the flywheel plus helped deal with the car down at the track. The car had just come off the dyno the night before this race and went straight to the track. After inspecting the flywheel after one and a half passes it was clear that it had never been resurfaced and also judging by the heat cracks that went clean through the flywheel in spots that weren't broke it never should have been put back in. Thomas hired this guy to build and install an engine and the first time on the dyno it blew a headgasket due to improper torque on the bolts only to find out that the guy had installed a stock headgasket after billing Thomas for metal headgasket and ARP bolts. When you couple this with everything else that this guy has done and not done after Thomas took possesion of his car back it is hard not to be disappointed with the quality of this guys work.

Another point that I will put out there is that I run stock flywheel bolts and a stock flywheel with an RPS 3200lb plate and a bronze disc. Not only has this supported roughly 907 flywheel horsepower but has also been drag raced quite a few times. Now I will always support upgrading hardware anytime it is available as nothing on these cars were designed originally to support the kind of power people make these days but stock flywheel bolts certainly aren't junk.

Like I said earlier Thomas, blame it on the bastard that tuned it and wouldn't let you run over 17 psi !

yota8791

Jan 20, 2009
virginia
^
i think ill continue to let the builder recieve the blame, that tune was DEAD ON, no flaws what so ever, specialy considering it was finished in 45 minutes, that takes skill haha. hell it took less than 3hrs total to have the driveablity tune, then straped down on the dyno and the power runs to be done.

yota8791

Jan 20, 2009
virginia
well ima start tearing apart the motor friday, hoping to have the new block at the machine shop by middle of next week. Hoping none of the internals beside the crank is damaged

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
HOLLY SHIT! that is crazy, haha honestabe had his crank pully blow up and that was pretty cool, but you just beat him big time lol. if i had tranny bell housing i'd hook you up. gots a stock flywheel though if you want, give it to you for like 5$ lol pm me but i figure you are going to be aftermarket lol

colin39

May 12, 2010
SUNNY CANVEY ESSEX
id check the thrust bearings in the engine, as the rear main oil seal bolts have been hit equally. I peronally would have thought this was more likely to be your cause of failier. However on saying that yhe important thing is you are ok, the car can be fixed. kodus to ya mate for keeping it straight.

yota8791

Jan 20, 2009
virginia
well i got the head off today and all the manifolds, havent tore the block apart yet. hopefully get into that next week, every inch of every thing is gonna get checked measured and re-measured, properly this time. the tops of he pistons look ok, i hope the rest of it looks good.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

took some tear down pics ill upload them soon