New Aussie, which model is best?

S

syagash

Hi, I am new to this forum and Supra's. My current ride is a 94 Ford Courier ute which in the US is called a Ranger (I think). I have fitted a 1UZFE which has now been fitted with intercooled supercharger. I don't need a ute anymore and like the styling of the mark3 Supra. Before I buy I have many questions. Which is the best base to start from. I am a motor mechanic and compitent with electrics so a engine conversion is what I am looking to do.
2JZGTE would be my choice. Do I start with M70 or M71 GTE, Jza70 is expensive and rare here from what I have seen. Is there any difference in brakes on these two models? Will a bell housing swap on original 7MGTE gearbox allow 2j conversion? Vehicle will also need to be engineered when completed for road worthy. I see there is lots of info on conversions in this forum but all I really need to know for now is where is the best place to start.

Cheers,

Tony.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Start with a 1989 + gte model ( Newer cross member and mont design), 5 speed as you will get the R154 tranny with it.. You will need a 1jz bell housing and Flywheel ( out of the jza70 models) to adapt to the 2jzgte. You can use the jza70 harness/ecu or you can adapt the 2jzgte/aristo harness .
YOu will need the jza70 metal brackets and the 89 + rubber isolators for the mounts.
I am doing the 2jzgte motor and the aristo Harness/ecu in my MA71.
From what I have seen..it is not a hard swap at all.

S

syagash

Thanks for reply, this was what I gathered from other posts. Hope to find a MA71 with good body and interior soon.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
how much hp does an intercooler add to a supercharged setup? i thought the whole point of it was to cool the hot exhaust gases, which blowers dont have

Adrenaline

Crazy Canuck
Sep 27, 2005
Toronto, Canada
thechori said:
how much hp does an intercooler add to a supercharged setup? i thought the whole point of it was to cool the hot exhaust gases, which blowers dont have

It has nothing to so with cooling exhaust gases actually. You are cooling the charge air before the intake. When either a turbo or supercharger pressurizes the air, it it heated - most gases will heat when compressed.
The process of the exhaust gas cooling is part of what generates energy - as it passes out of the turbo exhaust housing into a larger air space, it expands and cools - perhaps that's where you got confused. As it does so, it imparts the heat energy into the turbine and the rotational motion then compresses air on the other side of the turbo.
Superchargers are parasitic in that they require energy from the crank to drive them, and that compresses the intake charge - the exhaust doesn't come into play in a SC application.
Clear as mud? :eek:)

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
oh i was referring to the exhaust gases that come from the exhaust mani, i always thought that some of those gases would mix with the air from the filter in the turbo, and both went into the intercooler piping, then the intake mani. just looked it up and i guess i was toooootally wrong. sorry bout that fellas.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Chori: A good experiment that you've probably done when you were a kid is grab a bike pump hold you finger over the end and pump..

It gets HOT this is what happens in a forced induction motor doesn't matter if it's a Turbo or a blower, the IC cools the air before it hits your finger :)
(Ideally it gets it down to ambient temp)

Tony: Welcome to SM!

S

syagash

Thanks for the welcome guys, the 1uz in my ute has a very broad torque curve with the eaton M90 but lacks the top end that a turbo set up would have. I prefere inline engines as they are easier to work on and most things for the 1uz I have had to make from scratch so far. The look of the mark3 is hot and the 2jzgte seems to be the best engine to fit.
Ill let you all know when i find one and will have many more questions for you all I am sure.
Cheers,
Tony.

CBurgs'88

Apr 14, 2007
Detroit
I'm not an expert in engines, but have done a lot of research recently, and I'm pretty sure its easier and cheaper to just buy a 1jz front clip and swap everything in. As long as you have the 1989+ motor mounts, it should basically drop right in. 1j's can make big power, too. Its just what I've read, a 2j would be sweet though