Need your input

marxmk3

Jan 25, 2007
Everett, WA
:1zhelp: I have a great 92 Auto, Teal, Turbo with a blown headgasket. I got it cheap because of this. I have about $1500 to do one of the following: (Keep in mind, I only know enough about installing a new motor to get me into trouble.) I want to keep it an auto.

The motor has about 160k miles, so I really don't want to just replace the HG and machine the head. I'm looking for a lower mileage engine, probably one from Japan. I don't care if it is a 7mge, a 7mgte, a 1J, 2J, turbo or non-turbo, I don't care. I am looking to do one of those things that stays within my budget and not cause me any headaches.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!:icon_bigg:

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
1.)you don't want to go n/a cause a month later you'll have a post saying that you have 1,500 bucks and that you want to go turbo.

2.)you don't want to go N/A!!!!!

3.)for about 1,500 bucks you could rebuild the block put all new seals on and get a mhg with arp head studs and since it sounds like you don't want to mod it you don't even have to get a mhg

4.)you don't want to go n/a even if you don't want to go fast

5.)good luck and welcome to supramania now that your a MKIII owner you always are going to be broke

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
1. NO NA!!! Ask me how i know:sarcasm:

2. It is already a turbo 92. Just do the head gasket and get the head work done. It does sound like you dont realy want to mod this motor so you should be ok. Do all the seals if you are planning to take the motor out.

3. Why bother going to NA when everything in there is for a turbo. $1,500 will get your car running again in no time with the same engine in there. Just take your time and do it right.

4. Japan claimed low milage engine is not always true. Im not saying it is not. Who knows what is the milage on those engine. You would still need to do the HG and all other seals before putting it in the car. So why not use your own motor and just go from there.

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
Swapping motors may mean you get a bhg soon after. I agree wit above and just redo the topend. It is not hard and if you go with composite you will be set.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Going N/A in that 92 would kill the extra value the car has because it is a 92.

1J/2J are out of the question with $1500. And, that's a hell of a task if you would get lost in a motor rebuild anyway.

That leaves you with deciding on doing top end only, or full rebuild. With 160K on the clock, you are right, go ahead and do the whole thing. Make sure you do a little reading here before anything. During the rebuild, make sure you go above the factory specs for head bolt torque to avoid BHG (about 72lbs on a stock gasket). After the rebuild, make sure to run about 1 quart over the full line to avoid rod knock. There's plenty more to know, but those are the 2 biggies. Read, Read, Read!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
:nono:

With that limited of a budget it appears that you bought the wrong car.

marxmk3

Jan 25, 2007
Everett, WA
You guys are great! I think I'll do a rebuild on my current motor based on what I'm hearing. Plus, I'll get her on the road sooner. Thanx!!:icon_bigg