need to pass CA star smog

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
Hi everyone, like tittle says i need to pass smog . Took the car to a pre test and it is outrageously off. Results were

As of now i set the timing and got new fuel cap. I searched and lokks like i need to mess with the egr and catalic converter but im not 100% sure. I would really appreciate any help with this issue. Thanx in advance.

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
Forgot to add, i think my egr is not hooked up properly. I checked the tsrm but im having trouble finding where this 2 lines go hooked up anybody has pics or info on it? Btw car is 87 na mk3

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
I dont know how it done in the US, but in Saudi we just give the inspector $200 and he will pass the car.

I also here that you can pass by putting water in the exhaust.

Crashoveride

Slurbooo
Aug 18, 2009
Merced,CA
Lol, never heard about the water thing...
New california smog limit sucks, I know a few people cars that cant pass the new standards
Did you do the basic "tune up"
Clean air filter, new spark plugs, wires maybe etc?
And make sure you get the catalytic converter HOT before they do the test

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
Yes all tune up was done 5k ago, filter cleaned 2 weeks ago and cat converter was hot
Crashoveride;1940122 said:
Lol, never heard about the water thing...
New california smog limit sucks, I know a few people cars that cant pass the new standards
Did you do the basic "tune up"
Clean air filter, new spark plugs, wires maybe etc?
And make sure you get the catalytic converter HOT before they do the test

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
But both howes seem to go to the int manifold and i only see one connection? Anybosy has a pic of those hoses connected? I googled it alot and everithing i found was for the gte
jetjock;1940127 said:
Check the EGR. It hooks up just as shown in the book. Your problem at 25 mph is leanness as shown by the O2 and suppressed CO. Since the engine doesn't appear to be in fuel control you should start there.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Top one goes from a Tee to another Tee.

Bottom ones goes from egr valve to the same Tee the top one goes to. Iirc its a double Tee on that side.

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
Sorry im kind of newb to this but where would be the place to start?
jetjock;1940127 said:
Check the EGR. It hooks up just as shown in the book. Your problem at 25 mph is leanness as shown by the O2 and suppressed CO. Since the engine doesn't appear to be in fuel control you should start there.

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
Thanks so much for the great response guys, i gotta do a bunch of troubleshooting to get it smogged. Damn california and stupid smog smh

supratrupa

May 16, 2013
Chicago
I live in Chicago and we have testing here too. I hate it! It's a killer of older cars and it can be impossible to pass sometimes. I found the following helped
1) Run THICK oil so it doesn't get in the combustion chamber as easily - 10/40 is good
2) Make sure battery is FULLY charged....I got weak spark on one my cars from a weak battery. Charge it ALL the way with a charger
3) Run at least 25% to 40% Ethanol (Add E85 to your tank....I put 7 Gallons 87 and 3 Gallons E85)
4) Standard maintenance - gapping plugs, PCV Valve, air cleaner - I removed my air cleaner for the test to make sure I got a rich enough mixture.
Good luck!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
An interesting study done by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory:

www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/air_filter_effects_02_26_2009.pdf

Not to go off on a tangent but most people replace their air filter way too often. Not only does the thing have a huge surface area but the dirtier it gets the better it filters. Up to a point of course.

Mine would go well past 60K and be absolutely filthy on the outside yet show very little pressure drop at WOT. It's why installing a FilterMinder (or simply measuring with a manometer at each oil change) can be worth the effort.

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
Sorry for the late reply, I just had a lot of stuff to deal with and just now getting back into fixing this issue . Yes it has a code 41 that won't go away I calibrated the tps to tsrm specs but I gotta take a look at the wiring, this is the code about right? I just replaced the upstream o2 sensor and I will start tackling stuff down .

Mando

Oct 18, 2012
east bay, cali
Thanks to all you guys with all the help and I know I'm not good at troubleshooting s*** . I don't really want to take the car to a mechanic because of $$$$ but I might have to. Also after setting the timing to 10° the emissions went down I'll post a pic right now .....