Need some help. Quite a bit actually.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
So I have my piggy back set up (HKS VPC 550 rom) and (Apexi Neo). So I installed them according to some of the links provided on here for the install of both but Ive run into a serious problem. I went to tune the car some and the hks was functioning great at idle, leans it out, riches it etc according to my wideband. Well, I get the car idling good and wanted to make sure before I tear off down the street the neo is working. So I start by taking away fuel from it.....it does nothing. One would think that it would show on the wideband that it was leaning out. But the idle stayed the same, and the afr stayed the same as well.

So Im completely lost, I feel like my neo is not functioning at all. Would this be a good assumption considering the above? Ive triple checked my wiring and even had a buddy of mine check it, and all is good. So im just lost at this point.

If anyone could help me out, it would be great.

(I have not done ANY tuning under load with either device yet)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
wow, didnt even see the link. My apologies.

Ill have to go check where it is set. I just reinitialized the whole thing, so EVERYTHING is back to day one with it now. I set it up for the karmen sensor and thats it so far. Went to the fuel table and just wanted to see if it would add fuel, and it did nothing.

NOW, I had a tune on it before the VPC install, and it worked great. And I never messed with the tune on it, and I know it would add and take away fuel before, thats why i am so confused now.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
WOW, so much great info. Thank you so much. Now, my question is, when trying to find the voltage for vf, I connect the vf1 pin and the e1 pin? I noticed someone asked that, and it was never answered.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
airhead04;1833910 said:
wow, didnt even see the link. My apologies.

Ill have to go check where it is set. I just reinitialized the whole thing, so EVERYTHING is back to day one with it now. I set it up for the karmen sensor and thats it so far. Went to the fuel table and just wanted to see if it would add fuel, and it did nothing.

NOW, I had a tune on it before the VPC install, and it worked great. And I never messed with the tune on it, and I know it would add and take away fuel before, thats why i am so confused now.
No problem, the reason I ask is Vf vould be cancelling out the changes you make. But if you are getting changes with one tuner and not the other, I think your problem might be elsewhere.

As for reading it, you connect a voltmeter to the Vf pin and E1 in the diagnostic connector.
-AM3

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Yea i recommend not tuning in the closed looped.

Also i would set the throttle points to 74% and 75% and only tune for wide open throttle VF will take care of the rest.

So when tuning you will only be tuning the 75% or more throttle part of the fuel map.
I would also jump on the highway and have a buddy with you to help watch gauges and such and do 3rd gear pulls to figure out your AFR's

I am for 11.8-12AFR from 3-5,000rpm and 11.3-11.5AFR 5,000 to Redline.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Ok, I changed my throttle points to 74 and 75. Vf is unknown while driving, but I can tell you that I put a load on the car, and under boost it stays mid 14s. Not good.

Here is some info on my fuel system to see what you guys think....a1000 -10 to -8 feed with a -6 return. Fuel pressure is set at 31 with vac.

It's a holset hy35 turbo.

Pics of settings:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335869984.480679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335870007.196028.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335870024.562295.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335870054.744867.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335870081.962198.jpg

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
How much boost are you running ?

Anything above 12 is scary and above 14 is terrifying.

Assuming your not running a lot of boost I would start adding tons of fuel across the map and see if you can rich it up.

By tons I mean adding about 10-15% fuel and let the car sit at idle for about 4-5min then go for a test run. If I were you and the instant I see the Afrs staying or going leaner then 12.2-12.3 I would let off and add more fuel.

You shouldn't be that lean.

Now hopefully someone can help with the settings for the vpc I have not had the chance to do much research on the settings they should be at.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
If i remember correctly when adjusting the map on the S-AFC more percent is more fuel (RICH) Less is more Air (LEAN)

So when you reset the SAFC and had the Map at 0% all the way across the board you are running 14 AFR's? If so it might be possible you are having a Fuel pump problem.

How much Boost did you say you were running ?

I am running

Evo 560cc
One Walbro 255
I have my AFPR set to 26psi with VAC

Running 17psi with a 60-1 and running 10.5 AFR's without a tune

Last edited:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So you tried taking the SAFC MAP up at least 10% in all the NE points with no change at all ?

Also i would just set your NE points (For now until you can figure out the problem) to 1,2,3,4,5,6k and the last at 6500RPM just a very simple rpm range across the board for now.

If you do all this and cant find any change at 10% try 20% if you still have no change maybe the SAFC is not working correctly or something else is happening like a dying or faulty pump.

Either way 10psi shouldn't be causing you to go so lean makes me think you are not getting the correct fuel and the car is being starved by a Damaged Part or even a clog.

Maybe if you have the time to mess with it disconnect it all and run just with the ECU (no piggy back) and see if the AFR's change. this could help narrow down the problem to the Piggy backs

Last edited:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I'm sorry I gave you wrong info or was backwards

You need to adjust fuel percent +10%

The higher the percent the more fuel (rich) the less the percent the less amount of fuel (lean)

So adjust all ne points to + 10% see if there's change and if not 20% and so on.

FIXED PREVIOUS POSTS