Need Some Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Strap wrench FTW, I had the same problem the first time I changed my oil after I got my car. I spent 2 hours trying to get that thing off. Me and my brother both tried and it broke the filter socket and then I fount my strap wrench. Give it a shot and once you get it off, relocate it.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
I tried the screwdriver thing ones it just kept eating it away. I got a long screwdriver and kept hitting the sides of the oil filter until it got loose to get it off.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
This is why you ALWAYS lubricate the seal with oil, and ONLY tighten hand tight.

I have never, EVER had an issue with an oil filter. If a wrench doesn't take it off I'd be inclined to take heat to the rubber seal.

If you burn your car down, DON'T BLAME ME.

MK3PIMP

Banned
Mar 1, 2008
LANCASTER
Man, I've been trying for three hours and this thing still won't move. I guess it's time to take off the turbo.

<shaeff edited: STOP TYPING IN CAPS! IT'S REALLY ANNOYING!>

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Frank Rizzo;951165 said:
Get a K&N oil filter with the 1" nut welded to the bottom for the next time you change it. Filter removal will be a 15 second process.

Personally I wouldn't choose an average filter at an above average price just because it has a nut welded on it. ;)

I've used a huge pair of channel locks before.
Good luck getting that filter off!

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I once had this happen to my '98 Silverado. Did all the above suggestions and ended up riping up the filter until it was unrecognizeable. I was at my wit's end.

So...I swallowed my pride and called up my dad. Who then came over with a chisel and hammer. Althought I didn't think it would work, Dad has shown me many different ways of doing things in the past, so I let him at it. He cut away the filter until he could get the chisel wedged into the top of it. Outer top that is. He then started tapping it with a hammer and guess what...it started to move, then a little more, then a little more, then it let loose and that was it. Dad got a handshake and a beer and I learned how to get off an extremely stubborn oil filter.

Jamie is right...put oil around the seal and hand tighten only. I forgot to put some oil on that filter and that was the result. Btw...when you get it off, make sure the seal is not stuck on the car.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
this thread just reminded me i forgot to lube my mirages filter with oil... whoops i just did it yesterday too... i used channellocks when i couldnt get a filter off. i hate the 7ms filter location :( might be worth getting a relocation kit

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
MK3PIMP: STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS! I edited all of your posts above. It's REALLY annoying, and considered yelling on the internet. You've been warned. :)

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
poodles got it right as to why its froze on there. You lub the gasket for 2 reasons.. one so it dont stick and two so it slides as you tighten it. I ALWAY FILL the oil filter before installing on any car i work on.....Take the damn filter housing off if you have to... you could have taken it off and removed filter and had back on .............

But i have been there many times with screwdriver... oilfilter wrenches of every sort and even had to air chissle one off once...

Status
Not open for further replies.