Need some help, can't seem to figure this out..

Donedreamin

Oct 6, 2009
Toronto
I'll start off with my mods:

550cc
Lex AFM
Walboro
AFPR
Boost/Oil/Wideband Gauges

I just resurfaced the head and installed a felpro headgasket
Did a compression test, they came back very low .. 110-120 across the board
I'm also using a digital compression tester, i havn't confirmed it's reliable

Onto my other problem,
She is running extremely lean, AFPR is set to 40psi, barely get her to start, not even reading on my wideband, i'm pulling no codes..
I triple checked my timing, brought cylinder one to TDC and aligned the CPS as per this photo http://jdub.supramania.com/Mechanical/CPS Align.jpg
Only other unusual issue is there is a constant hissing coming from the intake side near the EGR when i'm not pressing on the accelerator, i used a JDM head and swapped over all my EGR components

I'm aiming towards maf, but before i go part changing i'm hoping i can get some words of wisdom as to some troubleshooting i should be doing..

Thank you,
And this in a cressida, not sure if that matters

Donedreamin

Oct 6, 2009
Toronto
I found my vacuum leak, thank you! But i'm still running lean, it starts up rich (10s~) and slowly leans out to 17+

Any advice i'm just getting a little frustrated, i will be taking a video tomorrow!

Donedreamin

Oct 6, 2009
Toronto
I used arp head bolts and torqued to 85 ft pounds.
I set my piston to true tfc with a screw driver and aligned my the notches on my cam with the ones on the backing plate.
Is there a way to verify I did it right?
Pre-startup I've got my fpr cranked to 40+, I will verify the numbers once I get her running.
Thanks guys

Donedreamin

Oct 6, 2009
Toronto
Clearly i'm not sure of my timing, the car runs rather well when the cps is rotated fully counter clockwise, but any clockwise movement and the car bogs out and completely dies!
Where did i go wrong? My understanding was simply to line the cams sprockets notches with those on the backing plate?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
142 psi is your compression on a 7MGTE if I remember.. 128 is minimum... with no variance of more than 14 psi between cylingders... I would be a little alarmed at your compression numbers personally... seems like something isn't quite right. Of course.. no idea if it was your tester or not.

and why wouldn't you go MHG with BPU? Felpro = retorque as per maintenance schedule, MHG and ARP studs = no retorque if done correctly....
Just seems like a bad shortcut to me...

of course.. Im not a mechanic...

Just noticed it was a Cressida.. This is your 4th year on doing this?
Just curious if you have any pics of the engine bay as it sits now... front and both sides. Just wondering how well it setup in the bay.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Nothing wrong with a felpro+ arp's for low boost.
I know that arp's should be torqued to 95 ft-lbs, but is that true of both mhg's and composites?

Donedreamin

Oct 6, 2009
Toronto
I was under a time-restriction and wanted to drive the car this summer, anyways it's become quite apparent that i have a big issue. Here is a video for your entertainment and critiques as to my next plan of action, going to do a leakage test in the next week.

https://vimeo.com/60333380