Need help with a turbo that i bought. What is it? GT35R?

Update 5/3/09:
I found another GT35R. I uploaded pictures, they are on the 3rd page. Thanks for looking and helping me find a good turbo!

Hi,
I bought this turbo. It was suppose to be a gt35R as i have been wanting for years. Well, the markings on it make me a little confused. It also has a custom Precision housing with has a .58A/R. I was wanting very quick spool up. Can you look at the pictures below and tell me what turbo you think it is. I am just very confused by the .6A/R on the compressor housing. It should be .7 as far as i know. If you have any ideas, please let me know. I can return it if it really isn't a gt35r.
Thanks for the help!
Update:
Here are the new pix. Shows all sides and angles.

These are the old pix.

By viperkillertt

Last edited:

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
I didn't know gt35r cam in .60 on the compressor housing...Thought the gt30 came like that...

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
did you want a garret or precision 35r? that doesn't look like a 35r from the compressor housing, i believe 35r's come with .70 a/r compressor housings. does it have a inlet and outlet for coolant if it doesn't then its not a 35r? measure the inducer and exducer of the compressor fan

86_sports_1jz;1305221 said:
did you want a garret or precision 35r? that doesn't look like a 35r from the compressor housing, i believe 35r's come with .70 a/r compressor housings. does it have a inlet and outlet for coolant if it doesn't then its not a 35r? measure the inducer and exducer of the compressor fan
Yes, that is the only available turbine A/R for the GT35R as far as i know. That is why i was asking. There is basically no reason for someone to change the turbine housing. People only change the compressor housing. So yeah, i bought it as a GT35R by Garrett with a Precision turbine housing with a small .58 A/R. I was excited because it would be very fun to drive around with such a small turbine housing. I have a strong feeling that he was screwed when he bought it and someone told him it was a GT35R, but it really isn't.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
does it have inlet and outlet ports for coolant? you should measure the compressor fan to see how big the inlet and outlet is

86_sports_1jz;1305232 said:
does it have inlet and outlet ports for coolant? you should measure the compressor fan to see how big the inlet and outlet is
Once i get better pix from the seller, i will know, but i have as much info as i put up at the top. He sent me the bottom 3 pix earlier today and the other 3 were from the auction i won. I have been watching for a GT35R for a good price on ebay for years now. I was very excited i finally found one, but i don't think it is one now. Once he sends me more pix i will update. I really cant tell from the pictures above.

It took a few days, but i got good pix of the turbo at all angles. Please let me know what you think. I believe i see clearly coolant and oil lines, but if someone has actually used a GT35R, let me know what you think. I have a feeling that it is a precision turbo, but i don't know without actually holding it. I just would rather not ship it here and back if it isn't the right one.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
compressor fins are messed up, I wouldn't buy it. Its not a garrett though, as Garrett GT35rs have tags on the center sections.

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
It looks to be the same as my gt35r but the comp housing is off mines a .70 and I personally would not buy it just because of the damaged fins turbos spin and 100k rpm any small imperfection in the fins will send this turbo to an early grave save the cash and buy a new one they are not that expensive and they are well worth the $$$$$$ I have a .68 turbine housing and the spool is amazing!
I had my new gt35r fail in the first 6 months and Garrett replaced it, it pays to buy new sometimes especially on a turbo.
And as Tissimo stated it should have an ID tag from garrett

Last edited:
IJ.;1307922 said:
35r/3540r/3582 has a 4" inlet and a .70 Compressor cover, if it doesn't have that it's not.
Thank you guys, yeah, you have confirmed my suspicions. Yeah, when i saw the fins, i was like, WTF! I know my twins don't look like that. Thank you again, i am going to get my money back. The whole package with exhaust manifold was only 500 bucks, so i was excited. I really cant afford a 1300 new garrett right now. I was hoping to do the whole build for around 1500. :)

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you should look at other turbo brands then, there are plenty of turbos like the 35r. i would start looking at precision 61mm turbos because they are the same size as the 35r just cheaper by a couple of hundred bucks, just call or go look at the precision website