need help on my my exhaust studs the spin and spin and don't lock

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Don't mean to steal the thread but might as well ask in this one.

I drilled and tapped my threads before would I be able to remove the helicoil and use DM's 7/16 kit? I can't remember what size drill bit I used but it was the size that everyone said to use when I was researching this.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I know that just wanted to know if I'll be wasting my time or I can re-tap the threads with the coarse threads in the DM kit.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Yeah, you'll be fine, as the 7/16 kit is bigger than the other kit they have. Might have to open up the bolt holes on your manifold though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

mk3racer

Mar 5, 2009
Northern Virginia
I do not recommend using a 90 degree adapter. It will be hard to control and my increase the diameter of the hole thus weakening the insert. I learned this the hard way. Best tool to drill is close quarters drill. It's close to 90 degree. I had to cut the bit to fit the drill way in the back next to firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Doat;1991954 said:
Yea I know that just wanted to know if I'll be wasting my time or I can re-tap the threads with the coarse threads in the DM kit.
You can use the tap tool use the cutting fluid they supply and you dont have to drill into the block.You make sure you tap straight i tried it in a busted block and it held the torque.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
suprafreak123;1992459 said:
You can use the tap tool use the cutting fluid they supply and you dont have to drill into the block.You make sure you tap straight i tried it in a busted block and it held the torque.
The thing is I installed helicoils from when I drilled and tapped the threads do I just remove the coils then run the tap through? Also if I use the DM kit the tap is more a coarse thread isn't it? The tap I used I think was for a fine thread.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
When you installed the coil and studs with you bigger that stock???and if you didnt, all you do is drill out the old busted thread and then you tap and the coil it and then the stud.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
no I used the stock studs, wouldn't it be easier to remove the helicoil then tap it or would that just not work? it would be nice not having to drill and tap again lol.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
All I did was buy 7/16" studs and did not have to drill anything. With the 7/16 studs I have no issues for 6 months now. I went to Pep Boys got 7/16 coarse stud with the other end fine for torquing. I tapped using a 7/16 coarse tap without having to drill out anything since the 7/16 tap requires the similar size drill size as the stock stud no drill is necessary.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Doat;1992484 said:
no I used the stock studs, wouldn't it be easier to remove the helicoil then tap it or would that just not work? it would be nice not having to drill and tap again lol.[/QUOTEhttp://
Just like QWIKSTRIKE said

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Hey bud, no worries we are all here to learn and get better.I learn the same way by asking,searching and doing it and hope to god i don't mess up anything up lol.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Helicoils are actually very easy to remove without drilling. There is triangular tool on the end of a screwdriver that you can poke into the hole, and turn it out backwards. It will unwind the top coil, and then as you push down the coil winds up tighter, and out it comes. The tool is made by helicoil. Once you get the first coil loose, you can always grab it with a pair of pliers and pull the rest out of the center of the hole as you unwind it.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
That's true......to do what I did you have to have the original stud holes. I never was into making a bigger hole to but inserts in when you can just retap the next size thread. A stud is a stud so why get caught up if it is metric or not. The 7/16" stud is the next best logical thread size to use. That's my .02 cents since I am not a helicoil fan at all since it calls for making the hole way bigger than it needs to be. You could go to 1/2" studs if the 7/16 studs failed at some point or at that point try a helicoil I guess.