Need answers to aluminum driveshaft questions

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Robert, could you charge a 'core' for the old driveshaft, to get the stubs? I've got 2 driveshafts, I'd certainly send one in, if I could get a 2 piece aluminum driveshaft!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Would be cool if you guys could rebuild a stock driveshaft with heavier duty parts (especially the center bearing) on a core basis....

Turn around time would be the only issue I see for most people.

Also, we're not saying a 1-piece isn't safe for most people, but some of these cars could easily hit just shy of 200, and at those speeds the shaft is spinning far too fast for a 1-piece according to the math I've seen...

Toyota put the 2-piece in for a reason, as a 1-piece would have been cheaper...

Keep us posted, quite a few of use are interested...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
shush you guys...

I didn't get this much crap from my name, and I'm a guy with a pink poodle for an avatar...

Honestly, I wouldn't care WHAT the driveshaft was made out of as long as it was as durable (or more so) and vibration free as a brand new stocker, just cheaper...

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Ckanderson said:
yea, but we just assume your gay.................

his name is shaftmasters....

:momaru:

Ya Know, our company name usually only gets "giggled" at by teenage girls and older but just as immature women. We didn't expect it from someone who is supposed to be a professional and is an authorized vendor on this forum. You guys in California might throw "gay banter" back and forth as a way to release some hidden inner emotions or desires but here in Michigan we don't have enough "contact" with the gay community to engage in such a discussion.
Thanks, David

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Doward said:
Robert, could you charge a 'core' for the old driveshaft, to get the stubs? I've got 2 driveshafts, I'd certainly send one in, if I could get a 2 piece aluminum driveshaft!

We do not see how a 2 piece aluminum is possible. There are no aluminum stubs and you can't weld a steel stub into aluminum tubing. As far as an exchange program for 2 piece steel shafts we do not feel comfortable making people send in their existing shaft and then waiting for us to build a new one and then shipping it back. We know you have 2 shafts but not everyone does. We would not feel comfortable starting a core program and relying on getting good cores back. Just give us a little time and we will come up with pricing for a brand new 2 piece assembly with high performance ujoints and a good quality center support bearing.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
shaftmasters said:
Ya Know, our company name usually only gets "giggled" at by teenage girls and older but just as immature women. We didn't expect it from someone who is supposed to be a professional and is an authorized vendor on this forum. You guys in California might throw "gay banter" back and forth as a way to release some hidden inner emotions or desires but here in Michigan we don't have enough "contact" with the gay community to engage in such a discussion.
Thanks, David

Ignore these guys David...they're just giving you a hard time. They can't help themself ;)

I would want a steel 2 piece. You are dead on concerning aluminum and I'm not so sure the weight reduction aluminum would offer is worth it.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
It took some time but after reading this entire thread I have learned allot. I currently have an aluminum driveshaft on my daily driver, got it indirectly from Jawsgear. I don’t think I will be going 120+ to work every day so I am not worried about it falling apart.

I can say that I get a tiny vibration at 70 and its gone at 80. It hits my exhaust when it vibrates. However a HUGE pothole that was filled with water at my bank bent my downpipe a bit, now there is allot less clearance between the exhaust and the DS. It rubs a tiny bit when it vibrates. I assume I will need a new downpipe when I can afford one..

A custom 2-piece sounds interesting.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
jdub said:
Ignore these guys David...they're just giving you a hard time. They can't help themself ;)

I would want a steel 2 piece. You are dead on concerning aluminum and I'm not so sure the weight reduction aluminum would offer is worth it.

Hey jdub,
Don't you have a "JawsGear" aluminum single piece shaft in your Supra? We were reading a thread from last year where you show photos of the install and everything.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yes I do...it's a very well made, balanced 1 piece. I get some vibration at 60-70 MPH that is not noticible at higher or lower speeds. My concern is the harmonics at high speed...IJ has his act together...I was not as "educated' on drive shaft critical speed when I purchased it.

I'm going to do a few motor mods in the coming months...the HP and speed I'll be able to generate has me a bit concerned on how well the 1 piece is going to handle it. I do have safety loops though ;)

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
jdub said:
Yes I do...it's a very well made, balanced 1 piece. I get some vibration at 60-70 MPH that is not noticible at higher or lower speeds. My concern is the harmonics at high speed...IJ has his act together...I was not as "educated' on drive shaft critical speed when I purchased it.

I'm going to do a few motor mods in the coming months...the HP and speed i'll be able to generate has me a bit concerned on how well the 1 piece is going to handle it. I do have safety loops though ;)

For all the discussions about safety going on here I will say this. We have a local customer that is a performance shop. They are called Pande's Performance. They build mostly mustangs but I was just out there 2 days ago and they had a GTO and an RX-7 plus a couple stangs they were working on. Now, I'm not a weekend 1/4 mile track guy but these cars Pande's builds get twin turbo supercharged motors dropped in them and they wind up doing between 7 and 8 seconds in the 1/4 runs. Pande himself is building a mustang this winter that he says will break the world record in his class, he is shooting for 7 seconds flat, the current record is 7.42 and Pande ran 7.5 this past season. All that being said, the cars they build get our aluminum shafts put in them when they build them and we have never had a single failure, not one. Pande and Brian his shop forman say they are perfectly happy with our shafts.
Thanks, David