Need answers to aluminum driveshaft questions

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Shaftmasters, you really should put a link to your web page in your signature...........just a suggestion. Good luck.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Thanks for your quick reply. Our company manufactures and repairs driveshafts. We currently build 100's of custom aluminum driveshafts every year, and the numbers keep growing. We always are looking to add to our product line and are currently doing research to add replacement Supra driveshafts. We already have a inventory of transmission and flange yokes for the Supra and are trying to compile a list of all the different lengths for the various model Supras. Would you be willing to provide us additional info about your car and driveshaft? We will offer forum members special pricing and free shipping to locations in the continental U.S.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There are several companies making single piece shafts for the Mk III...both in steel and aluminum. What would be an excellent option is a stock configuration 2 piece shaft without the rubber dampening material (it twists out on the stocker) and upgraded U-joints. A lighter weight, fully balanced steel and aluminum option using the stock center bearing or an upgraded aftermarket bearing would be outstanding. No one makes these to my knowledge.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Hi jdub,
I was wondering why you feel staying with the two-piece shaft is an advantage? We make one-piece aluminum shafts for both the Nissan 240SX and 2005-2007 Mustang GT's that come original with a two-piece shaft. Everyone that has made the switch rave about how reducing the rotational weight of the shaft has allowed the engine to rev up faster and reduced vibrations. Also the end cost to the customer is cheaper than if we did offer a two-piece steel replacement shaft with upgraded u-joints. We know that we are not the first with these driveshafts. What we have to offer is much better pricing and customer service. We strive to acheive 100% customer satisfaction. If you were to visit nicoclub.com you can find our advertising and customer feedback.
Robert

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Info on the 2-piece from IJ...Here's the link on comments about a 1-piece.

IJ. said:
Personally I'd get Jeff to make you a true 2 piece (lose the bonded rear section and keep the centre bearing and uni joint) but I'm biased against 1 piece shafts ;)
IJ. said:
There is a thing with driveshafts called "Critical Speed" and the longer a shaft is the lower it is, Uni Joints travel in a figure 8 NOT in true circles.

At certain shaft speeds you can get a harshness/vibration/harmonic effect that while annoying in the short term doesn't do any damage BUT for extended periods it can.

Short gears Low profile rubber and extended high speed running can place your car in this zone.

True 2 piece just means Jeff replaces the rear section of the tube that's an inner and outer bonded together with a single tube so it's lighter and keeps the Uni joints in phase whereas the bonded part can and does fail letting the Uni's become out of phase and vibrate.
IJ. said:
As I said before it's a personal preference thing as lots of people rave about their 1 piece shafts, I don't think it makes such a large performance increase as people believe.

My "guess" (this will be unpopular) Is that it's a bit of placebo effect at work, if it were something large diameter like a flywheel yes you get a much lower PMoI but on a 3" shaft I just can't see it!

Having said all that I had a custom true 2 piece made up using Strange Engineering parts and large 1350 uni joints so I know If I ever get traction I won't break it! ;)

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Yeah since no one makes a 2 piece that can be something interesting to make.. Not sure if many people are going to buy it though.. Or make a Carbonfiber 1 piece = )

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Oh, forgot to mention that I went with a Jawsgear steel 1-piece. It is 14lbs compared to the 12lb aluminum one. I chose the steel one because of the price difference and from what IJ said about the ringing noise of an alum. one.

I can't give any feedback on the difference from the stocker to the steel one. I never drove my car before i put the steel one in. Also, haven't been in another supra either that's a 5 speed.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I would personally be very interested in the pricing that would be available for these driveshafts you plan to make. Are you able to estimate the cost now or will that only be available after you complete a test piece of each?

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
jdub said:
What would be an excellent option is a stock configuration 2 piece shaft without the rubber dampening material (it twists out on the stocker) and upgraded U-joints. A lighter weight, fully balanced steel and aluminum option using the stock center bearing or an upgraded aftermarket bearing would be outstanding. No one makes these to my knowledge.

If the cost isn't outrageous, I'd be down for one of those.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
A very brief search did not yield any answers about the proper lengths. I will look later when I don't have a midterm in a few hrs. lol

Maybe someone on here would be kind enough to find these numbers, or even measure their own.

AF1JZ

Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Sawbladz said:
A very brief search did not yield any answers about the proper lengths. I will look later when I don't have a midterm in a few hrs. lol

Maybe someone on here would be kind enough to find these numbers, or even measure their own.

PM Jawsgear. He'll probably be able to tell you something.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
I am starting to have a very busy day with driveshaft repairs from local customers, but I wanted to respond quickly and not leave you hanging. Aluminum driveshafts can run at higher critical speeds than a steel shaft of the same diameter. I will put together approximate pricng on aluminum and steel one-piece shafts and two-piece shafts with upgraded u-joints asap. We have a mustang customer who claims to have run his personal best time in the 1/4 mile after installing the aluminum shaft. Go to mustangcollective.com to read about it.
Robert

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Hi SHaftmaster,

I have to concur with my good friend IJ. on the two piece deal. The talk is always one peice but in our cars, I think Toyota was right by using the two piece ds.

I myself run a cf ds and I know of one other person, UpgradedSupra. Was it worth it? Well it depends! :) If I break mine out. I have a broom under my car with the cf basedone and no big damage done.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Hi figgie,
I am new to the Supra and the kind of power they deliver. Do they compare to the nissan 240SX with the RB 25 DET engine swap. Our customers who have installed aluminum one-piece shafts in these claim that turbo charged they are putting out over 500 hp.
Robert

Mr. Sinister

Aug 30, 2005
Chicago
We've got a decent number of guys with over 500 to the ground and some pushing over 800.

shaftmasters said:
Hi figgie,
I am new to the Supra and the kind of power they deliver. Do they compare to the nissan 240SX with the RB 25 DET engine swap. Our customers who have installed aluminum one-piece shafts in these claim that turbo charged they are putting out over 500 hp.
Robert

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
shaftmasters said:
Hi jdub,
I was wondering why you feel staying with the two-piece shaft is an advantage? We make one-piece aluminum shafts for both the Nissan 240SX and 2005-2007 Mustang GT's that come original with a two-piece shaft. Everyone that has made the switch rave about how reducing the rotational weight of the shaft has allowed the engine to rev up faster and reduced vibrations. Also the end cost to the customer is cheaper than if we did offer a two-piece steel replacement shaft with upgraded u-joints. We know that we are not the first with these driveshafts. What we have to offer is much better pricing and customer service. We strive to acheive 100% customer satisfaction. If you were to visit nicoclub.com you can find our advertising and customer feedback.
Robert

AF1JZ nailed it in post #7 with IJ's comments. The downside to the stock 2 piece is the rubber material in the aft shaft. In a Supra, the 2 piece (assuming it's well balanced) produces lower vibration due to the harmonics involved. Plus, (like figgie alluded to) if you bust a one piece, you've just entered your Supra in a pole vault event ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
shaftmasters said:
Hi figgie,
Robert

Hey Robert,

it is not the power that is the issue. The stock one can handle that if the rubber damping material is in one piece :)

It is more about drivability concerns. A two piece system will increase the critical speed beyond anything the supra can throw at it. This helps in taming the "vibrations" on most of our cars. The only exception is CF since the weight of it increase the critical speed of the DS to well beyond anything the supra can throw at it. Of course the cost is almost about pointless :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's not the power that is the problem - it's extended high speed operation.

I want either a 3.5" aluminum 1 piece, or a 2 piece 3" aluminum driveshaft. Why? So that I can run 190mph without worrying about my driveshaft coming apart!