need advice for rebuilding motor

87 supra king

Jul 20, 2008
PA
Hey everyone i am rebuilding my 7mgte and I am wondering how much more performance I will get out of Brian Crower cams with 30 bore over pistons? What are the benefits of the different cams. I am also replacing the head gasket with a hks 2 mm with ARP head bolts.What else would you suggest for my build. How much will my gas milage be affected also? Would it be worth getting different cams or is it just a waste of time and money ?

Last edited:

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
oh yikes...

They go crazy here when people ask how much HP they will run on their build..

So just build it and find out =)

Gas milage if full build...13-15mpg im guessing.. i get around 17 on stock motor with exhuast, intake, boost controller, fuel management, and other stuffs

87 supra king

Jul 20, 2008
PA
Gas milage if full build...13-15mpg im guessing.. i get around 17 on stock motor with exhuast, intake, boost controller, fuel management, and other stuffs[/QUOTE]

what kind of gas milage did you get before you did all that work?

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Wow, 17 is kinda low unless you are talking around town. I get 28mpg on the highway and that's with a 57trim, 550s, lex, Safc-ii, full engine build(stock cams), and a 5-speed. If you are not going to make more power than an upgraded ct will give you, I would recommend passing on the cams. The cost is just too high for the amount of gain.

87 supra king

Jul 20, 2008
PA
nosman4;1183387 said:
Wow, 17 is kinda low unless you are talking around town. I get 28mpg on the highway and that's with a 57trim, 550s, lex, Safc-ii, full engine build(stock cams), and a 5-speed. If you are not going to make more power than an upgraded ct will give you, I would recommend passing on the cams. The cost is just too high for the amount of gain.

What do u have as in pistons and connecting rods in your engine? and how much boost are you running?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Things like Bore and head gasket thickness should be figured out after you know how much material is removed during machining. Don't plan on the bigger numbers because they sound cool. Adding more material through your head gasket than what was taken off in machining will change your compression ratio. Boring pistons more than needed will decrease the life of the block.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, only bore the block as much as needed.

Cams are a waste of money IMHO unless you have all other supporting mods...

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
I'm running JE's .020 over and Eagle rods. I'm running about 15psi of boost and getting about 377rwhp and 400rwtq. None of that matters though if you're cruising at highway speeds.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nomad707;1183371 said:
oh yikes...

They go crazy here when people ask how much HP they will run on their build..

So just build it and find out =)

Gas milage if full build...13-15mpg im guessing.. i get around 17 on stock motor with exhuast, intake, boost controller, fuel management, and other stuffs

Pardon?

A built motor should be MORE efficient not less ;)

I get 28 US MPG from mine combined city/highway driving.