Need a quick answer about plumbing a Turbonetics dual WG actuator

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Hey, I've got a GTE here with a Turbonetics upgraded turbo. It's got a dual reference wastegate (NOT a poppet though, it pushes open not pull). Anyone here able to tell me real quick how this is plumbed? Do I just plumb the outer to the manifold and leave the inner open on a filter?

I need to move the car tonight and need to be sure this is going to open properly. ;)

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
It should work the same as a two port external wastegate. One port on top of the diaphragm and one on the bottom of it. The bottom port gets boost pressure to act against the spring and open the wastegate. If you have no boost controller you leave the one on the top of the diaphragm open to atmosphere. If you do have a boost controller, you supply modulated boost pressure to the port to help the spring.

Like this:

WastegatePlumbing.jpg

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm trying to forgo the EBC for right now. I really just needed to verify that one of the ports is open to atmosphere.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Seemed obvious enough, but I figured I'd best make sure... this car's hurting as it is. Shouldn't be so worried though, I'm pretty sure its got a massive boost leak. ;)

Thanks.

Oh, and thanks 90T04. This one is the opposite in that it pushes the gate open, but the same principal applies. That diagram is a great reference too.

Last edited:

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
90T04;1140999 said:
It should work the same as a two port external wastegate. One port on top of the diaphragm and one on the bottom of it. The bottom port gets boost pressure to act against the spring and open the wastegate. If you have no boost controller you leave the one on the top of the diaphragm open to atmosphere. If you do have a boost controller, you supply modulated boost pressure to the port to help the spring.

Like this:

WastegatePlumbing.jpg

When you are using a boost controller and you have it connected to the top connection, do you leave the connection on the bottom open to work as a vent hole? or do you still connect a line from before the throttle body to the bottom? OR is only one or the other used at a time?
Thanks

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Depends on whether the wastegate pushes to open or pulls. The one in the picture pulls open.

You can plumb it so it uses both ports (if supported by the EBC) or just one port.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Toy-Rific;1142963 said:
When you are using a boost controller and you have it connected to the top connection, do you leave the connection on the bottom open to work as a vent hole? or do you still connect a line from before the throttle body to the bottom? OR is only one or the other used at a time?
Thanks

On a Tial, it's exactly as the diagram shows...both lines, with the top connected to the boost controller (manual valve or solenoid EBC valve). With no boost controller, you leave the top vented to the atmosphere...that will give you the WG spring rated boost psi.

90T04 was pretty clear in his post ;)

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
jdub;1142977 said:
On a Tial, it's exactly as the diagram shows...both lines, with the top connected to the boost controller (manual valve or solenoid EBC valve). With no boost controller, you leave the top vented to the atmosphere...that will give you the WG spring rated boost psi.

90T04 was pretty clear in his post ;)

Thank you, I have both lines connected, but than started to think about it more and more and I just lost it. I was told by someone that it would end up pushing one against the other and would end up with no movement. Ok back to the Aztec Gold and a good feeling I was OK.
See you in LV

Last edited:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Toy-Rific;1143069 said:
I was told by someone that it would end up pushing one against the other and would end up with no movement.

Actually, that's correct if you were to just run them both to the manifold. The reason the two work with a boost controller is that the side opposite of the spring has to push whatever amount is required to overcome the resistance on the other side.

In a single port wastegate that resistance is only the pressure of the spring. With a dual port the second side only comes into play when a boost controller is used.

Basically, with a dual port there are two sides, let's call them resistance and active. The equation is: Active PSI - Resistance PSI = Boost PSI The Active side's pressure MUST be higher than the Resistance side. You see, the resistance is what you have to overcome to move the diaphragm. If both sides are equal it's the same as leaving both sides disconnected.

Thoroughly EDITED!!!! Reread.

Last edited:

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Ok all, I see how the Tial wastegates are connected. Now I have a HKS knockoff dual port wastegate and I want to use the MAFT PRO boost controller on this. Here is a Pic of the wastegate (Just a representation but the Nipples are in the same spots on mine). I want to make sure Im hooking this up correctly as I got my Other Issues resolved.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Again, mine has a nipple on the Side and a Nipple coming out of the bottom as seen in above picture. I have a Dump tube on mine also. If set up as a Single, What nipple do I put a Filter on but I would rather set it up the correct way.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I think I have mine setup wrong based on this info.

I'm using the HKS ChinaBay copy, with two ports. One on the side, and the other on top.

I'm only hooked up to the side port. (The one that pushes the diaphram up, pulling the valve open, bleeding off exhaust pressure from the manifold..)

As I understand it, the boost solinoid is run "duty cycle" closed percentage.. limiting boost pressure to the diaphram, keeping the valve closed more to raise/control boost pressure..

IE: if it is off, the valve is open, so intake manifold pressure goes right to the valve, and it opens under whatever spring pressure is in the wastegate valve.

If it is "ON" the duty cycle closes the valve, thereby limiting the pressure the wastegate valve "sees" and letting higher exhaust manifold pressure, and thereby higher boost pressure.

It's late, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that just bleeding off pressure to a vented line, or not letting as much pressure to vent will control the valve as neatly as a single line will.

Will it work just with the valve between the side port and turbo compressor housing port, and nothing on the top port? (It's just open/vented.) Right now, I don't even have the MaftPro setup to control boost anyway, so it will just allow the spring to do whatever boost pressure it's going to allow. (I have not boosted yet on this setup even.)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
If it pushes open, then attach the boost source to the top of the actuator (furthest away from the rod), and the boost controller (bleeder type/ebc) to the lower port (closest to the rod). Make sure the EBC (if you have one) is setup in external wastegate mode.

Edit: realized this thread is old...

To answer your question adjuster, yes you can put the EBC valve in between the top port and the compressor cover/boost source.