n/a or turbo mkIII better for swap?

mikeoc1

Jun 25, 2009
Ft Benning
I have a 90 turbo 7m and a good running 88 n/a 7m. I know the 90 is better equipped as far a recieving a 1j swap. Does it matter whether the swap car is turbo or n/a. They are both 5sp targa. I would like to swap in a 1j in the near future, but not sure about keeping the n/a or not.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'd say keep the NA if you have the means and space, they make good part runner cars. By that I mean, all the trips you'll have to go to the parts store, they make good cars when you're working on the swap. :)

Honestly though, the 90 should have proper mounts already, and the R154 is a bit stouter than the W58 found in the NA.

Mk3*Supra

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
we just swapped in 1j's in a 87 n/a auto and a 92 n/a auto... they were about the same.. both motors/trannys slid in with almost no issues.. wiring is a little different on a plug here and there but nothing bad

without knowing the condition of the cars i can't say which one is better (in my opinion).. for example if the n/a motor is on its way out it might be more cost efficient to swap that one even if it requires a few more pieces

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That's true, gotta weigh each car for what it's worth to you. As for the chassis itself, it's all the same between the NA and turbo, so it really comes down to preference on which car you like better...

Mk3*Supra

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
always have the option of buying a 1j with a r154 if you swap the one without.. thats the route we had to go

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Or just pull the trans and swap it in the other car. Beats having to pay an extra 500+ on a trans even tho you get the bellhousing with it.