N/A Catback Exhaust Reccomendations

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
I've been looking around and haven't really had any luck finding anything for my N/A in the exhuast department, so I'm hoping you guys had better luck and could recommend me anything, I've looked into the HKS sport exhuast, but couldnt find any reviews or anyone that had experience with the product, any help would be greatly appreciated.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
i thought that N/As (as on Dr. Js site) say that a straight pipe would be best for HP at least. or are u trying to pass emissions?

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
3" all the way on an n/a with a test pipe would be horrible off the line though. id say a 2.5" mandrel with a high flow cat.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The required size of the exhaust will depend on your current mods. A moderatly to heavy modded N/A will lose no power going with a 3" exhaust, a light modded N/A will probably lose power off the line. The design of said 3" will also have an effect on power. Not all 3" are designed alike.

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
Bishop92t said:
The required size of the exhaust will depend on your current mods. A moderatly to heavy modded N/A will lose no power going with a 3" exhaust, a light modded N/A will probably lose power off the line. The design of said 3" will also have an effect on power. Not all 3" are designed alike.

thats probly y i didnt notice a loss in lowend, i think im pretty modded up

intake, intake pipe, header, exhaust, flywheel, safc, advanced timing

wit the 3 incher 5k up feels great

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
lots of N/A guys 'upgrade' to a stock catback from a turbo.

-shaeff

P

PunaMKlll

for a N/A 2.5 piping is good, personaly i love how flowmasters sound and perform on N/A's.I have a 40 series deltaflow flowmaster with 2.5 custom bent piping, no cat. Its very load but sounds very aggressive and has been complemented on by quite a few people.Also my paeco headers help shape the sound a bit ,im putting on a hi-flow cat soon and will pm u on how it sounds with a cat if ur interested.

Many people dont like flowmasters (w/cat) because they tend to have a heavy drone

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Only 935 has 2.5" mandrel piping exhaust kits in steel or stainless steel for NA.

Because we care enough to have it. Try asking any of the big names about a NA exhaust and you will get a blank stare or silence on the phone.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Bishop92t said:
I went 3" on my N/A with no cats, Pacesetter header and a few other bolt ons. Stock motor. No noticeable loss in low end power.
Idealsupra.... N/A exhaust physics 101 :icon_lol: I had to do it :icon_wink

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
I had a 87 with a highflow cat,and a 2.5 inch exhaust flowing through a Magnaflow muffler and it sounded awesome.On a N/A,that size is just perfect.Anything larger will create too much flow,and possibly reduce h.p. A 3" on a turbo is pretty much designed for turbo applications only. Just my 2 cents.

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
As the time being, my Supra is completely stock, I want to change the exhuast because it has small spots of rust, and just sounds really nasty, the person before me let it sit for a year. Also I'm want it to be able to pass smog and whatnot, its my daily driver until i save enough to get a Turbo, or swap, whichever comes first. How much would getting custom piping be usually as compared to just ordering a already made set (EX: HKS sport)?

Edit: I get blank stares alot at shops and then they tell me to just sell my supra and get a turbo, not very helpful.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
Depends on where you live,if they even have a shop with a mandrel bender(that equipment is pretty pricey). As we all know mandrel bends are better than "normal" ones as the inside diameter of the pipe is never changed even at bends,= better flow.If you can't find a shop with one,i'd suggest ordering one off the net which would be a cat-back.Already cut,fitted and bent,you just need a competent shop to install it.After that,it'll make your N/A roar! A sfar as WHO makes the best,that's up tp you and your budget.I'd suggest a HK$.