My Xbox 360....Watercooled....4 Years Later

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Just thought I'd show my other hobby...

So a couple years ago, the launch year of the Xbox 360, I and my belter saved up for one. I was in High School at the time. That was 2005. We bought it and it had problem the first time we played, so we took it back to Target and got a different one, samething. This time we got a "Premium" console which had all the goodies instead of the "Core" console which was basic.

So after we got the premium it lasted for a while and then it red ringed. I sent it to Microsoft as when it cane back, the CD went bad, which I put a note in the box saying to fix it the first time I sent it in, but they didn't! So I sent it back and they fixed that. The "fixing" was just shipping me a new console.

I was then scrolling around and saw a User by the name Danko on Xbox-Scene.com that water-cooled his Xbox 360 and I thought I could do it.

I spent months laying it out and sent bak my console to get a new one again finally did it in 2007.

I started it up about two weeks ago and saw it was overheating. WTF? I looked at the pump, it seemed fine. Looked at the line, there is the problem! Rust. I opened the 360 and pictures will show you what I saw. I never serviced this Xbox 360 since 2007 after watercooling it besides vacuuming the dust off the radiator. When I started to reassemble everything, the pump wouldn't move any fluid, a new pump was need, so I bought that. Now it's assembled and I am playing Gears Of War 3 in my free time from school and work.

If I was to ever watercool a newer Xbox 360, I would go all out and put it in a computer case and use a coolant reservoir which makes bleeding air easier.

Pictures!
a6898aa4-c050-78a5.jpg

a6898aa4-c069-7922.jpg

a6898aa4-c08b-a521.jpg

a6898aa4-c0a4-1fea.jpg

a6898aa4-c0ba-a5c5.jpg

a6898aa4-c0cf-0913.jpg

a6898aa4-c0e0-de91.jpg

a6898aa4-c0fc-7d09.jpg

a6898aa4-c110-d21c.jpg

a6898aa4-c125-0d60.jpg

a6898aa4-c13b-0266.jpg

a6898aa4-c14f-5b7a.jpg

After Cleaning, Reassembly Bleeding The Air...
a6898aa4-c184-bd85.jpg

a6898aa4-c198-8603.jpg

a6898aa4-c1ab-65a8.jpg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I used to be a big poster on xbox scene. Had a bunch of case mods and chipped my original xbox with a 160 gig hdd (was big at the time lol) had a bunch of games on it, but then I got a car and totally lost interest haha. How much better does watercooling work in comparison to a good heatsink and fan?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
CyFi6;1759759 said:
I used to be a big poster on xbox scene. Had a bunch of case mods and chipped my original xbox with a 160 gig hdd (was big at the time lol) had a bunch of games on it, but then I got a car and totally lost interest haha. How much better does watercooling work in comparison to a good heatsink and fan?

Watercooling works a lot better. Most of the high end gaming computers Alien makes are watercooled. Danko's ORIGINAL Xbox 360 is still going.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I`ve also been overclocking and water cooling for years, more for the silence of the machine recently than anything else. I would highly recommend adding a little antifreeze or other anti-rust and whatnot fluid to your liquid. Water wetter works really well and also prevents you water from rotting on ya. And in a computer environment anyways it does give a slightly better cooling performance boost too.

Here`s a pic of one of the cpu water blocks I had made. Back then I play ALOT of tribes to and so this block was created with a T2 theme. This is obviously in an unassembled stage.

T2_CPU_waterblock2_Copy.jpgT2_CPU_waterblock_Copy.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Flateric;1759804 said:
I`ve also been overclocking and water cooling for years, more for the silence of the machine recently than anything else. I would highly recommend adding a little antifreeze or other anti-rust and whatnot fluid to your liquid. Water wetter works really well and also prevents you water from rotting on ya. And in a computer environment anyways it does give a slightly better cooling performance boost too.

Here`s a pic of one of the cpu water blocks I had made. Back then I play ALOT of tribes to and so this block was created with a T2 theme. This is obviously in an unassembled stage.

View attachment 52615View attachment 52616

Nice!

I am going to talk my girlfriend into getting me a new Xbox so I can water cool it. Probably have that one system run and cool both Xbox's at the same time. Just add a reservoir and it would be fine.

Believe it or not, the radiator barely gets hot and I am not even using a reservoir on this Xbox but bleeding it takes a lot of time.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I`m not entirely sure I see the gains of water cooling and xbox being worth the efforts. I guess I have not personally had any issues with them yet. I have had friends who did though and we just did the wrap it in a towel trick and there still going strong today.

I really wouldnt want to run one water cooling system for 2 xboxes if I understand you right. Seems like too many eggs in one basket for me.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
No no, I mean one water-cooling system for each Xbox inside a computer case BUT use the same reservoir.

The gains are really good, I hate the towel trick. I have an Xbox "Elite," the first black one, and it barely has a weeks worth of playing time in three years, the darn thing red ringed on me while waiting for parts for my watercooled Xbox 360 and I had to do the towel trick on it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
my old computer case was mini fridge it was so pimp and the exhaust just vent out the side of the fridge it was pimp