my wife wants to join the army

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
as the title states my wife wants to join the army. for those of you that are in the army, what is army life like? do you live on or off base?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Wow so many questions...
First WHY?
and why at a time like this?
and why the army of all military branches?
do you all have kids?

I hope you change her mind, and if you can't get her to join the air force or something, but the army? Wow.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
D34DC311;1080688 said:
Wow so many questions...
First WHY?
and why at a time like this?
and why the army of all military branches?
do you all have kids?

I hope you change her mind, and if you can't get her to join the air force or something, but the army? Wow.

The Army and Marines are taking anyone they can get their hands on. I do not know if it still holds true, but 1-2 years ago the Air Force was actually in a state of force reduction.

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
she wanted to join the airforce, but they said they cant guarantee certain jobs like the army can. one of my wifes friends is in the airforce and is coming up on re-enlistment and they are asked him not to re-enlist because they have so many people. the recruiter she talked to said they are trying to cut 40,000 people or something like that.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bmoss

quite frank the medical field in ALL branches is always looking for folks. That includes the Air Force. BUt the medical field in the civilian sector is also looking.

With that said.

My first question you need to ask her is why exactly is she wanting to join especially since she is married (to you). Not because she is married but the reality is, it will be real hard on both of you when she is deployed for 6 months out of a year to Rihad, Diego Garcia etc and you are at home.

I would definetly like to see why she is intrested in joining the military.

2nd

Being married, you will be living on base on base housing. No, not the dorms. Base housing. specifically for couples.

I really hope that she is not expecting becoming rich or even well-off in the military!

<-- Figgie

Ex- Air Force 92-96

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
no it would be about a $55,000 a year paycut. we have alot friends in the military and she talked to them alot before deciding to do it. she doesnt currently work, but i would have to leave my job, which i hate anyways. i just work there for the money.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bmoss85;1081124 said:
no it would be about a $55,000 a year paycut. we have alot friends in the military and she talked to them alot before deciding to do it. she doesnt currently work, but i would have to leave my job, which i hate anyways. i just work there for the money.
Testing...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bmoss

if your wife is joining for any other reason than "I WANT TO JOIN" she is going to be in for a really really rude awakening.

Remember, as a member of the military, regardless of branch. The job function is first and foremost a SOLDIER. The job function you "picked" is secondary regardless of what the recruiter tells you. That means picking up a rifle and going to war is given.

I hope your wife understands that. If she does. Than hey. More power to her and get her to do the ASVAB testing :)

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
she is very pro america and wants to serve her country. she told her recruiter she wouldnt sign anything until she had in writing what her job was and where she was going to be stationed. her recruiter said that would not be a problem.

its going to be a hassle, b/c we are going to rent our house out and stuff like that. it should be awhile before i have to worry about that though depending on how long her ait is. shes wants to do radiology.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ as someone in the field... it's pretty crappy. The job market isn't anywhere NEAR what it was a few years ago. Finding jobs in Indiana was a nightmare for me... Nursing is where I would try to steer her. Sign on bonuses, tuition reimbursment, make your own schedules, bonus pay out the ass.... My wife is much better off as a nurse than I will ever be in Radiology.

If money will help in swaying her... my wife can work 1 extra 12 hour shift and make damn near what i make in a 40 hour week...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bmoss85;1081183 said:
she is very pro america and wants to serve her country. she told her recruiter she wouldnt sign anything until she had in writing what her job was and where she was going to be stationed. her recruiter said that would not be a problem.

its going to be a hassle, b/c we are going to rent our house out and stuff like that. it should be awhile before i have to worry about that though depending on how long her ait is. shes wants to do radiology.

bmoss

again take what the recuiter said with a grain of salt.

job functions does not entail getting a location if the location does not have that job or a need to fill a position in that job. :)

For instance

myself

working on B-1b bombers, I could put anywhere in Europe, Japan etc. It would not make one iota of a difference as all the b-1b are stationed stateside AND specifically in Elsworth AFB, SD. Dyess AFB, TX and I think the 366th Tatical Wing out of Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. Those are the real options only.

89TargaT

No Traction FTL...
Jan 30, 2008
Missouri
NO!!!!!!! Tell her not to do it! J/K. I'm in the Army and it's alright. Not something I wanna make a career out of, but it's not horrible. What job she gets will depend on her ASVAB score as well as civilian education. I originally wanted to go into Radiology, but I was unable to since I only had a GED. I told them I wasn't interested, then they came back a few minutes later and offered me my current job (Biomed maint. tech). Don't know how they could give me this and not Radiology.:confused:

I live on post in family housing since I'm married. My wife is in the military as well and we make a decent amount of money, but nothing crazy. You can live off post if you choose to do so. For Radiology, I believe AIT is about 1 to 1 1/2 years long. If possible join the Air Force, but like stated above, I think they're still trying to get rid of people, while the Army and Marines are taking anyone. I'm noticing that the people coming in are getting older and older. Deployment is also another issue. Pretty much any job can and will deploy, regardless of whether she gets stationed in a hospital or field/line unit.

Oh and the whole duty station of choice thing upon enlistment, probably not gonna happen. If she does go Radiology, between basic training and AIT is quite a while, and I'm sure the Armys' needs will have changed by then. That will dictate where you go, wherever they need you. You can make a request, but it doesn't guarantee that you will go there. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I'm sure there are others in the military than can chime in as well.

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
the recruiter said they would give her a few different choices, of where she could be stationed depending on where her job was needed. then they could put it all in her contract. she told him she wouldnt sign unless her job was guaranteed in the contract.

she has been studying before she takes the asvab so she can get the job she wants.

its not about money, like i said its going to be about a $55k a yr paycut unless i can find something making what im making now where ever she gets stationed. if not ill just go back to school.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bmoss85;1081366 said:
the recruiter said they would give her a few different choices, of where she could be stationed depending on where her job was needed. then they could put it all in her contract. she told him she wouldnt sign unless her job was guaranteed in the contract.

bmoss

lol

again, the recruiter does not have access to that information. That information is only available at the upper echelons of the Department of Defense.

As a matter of fact.

What the recruiter will do is this

first ask you wife where she wants to be stationed.

She says somewhere in Europe or Florida.

Recuiter comes back as saying. only infantry or special-ops needed in both (which the recruiter won't know as that is intelligence information).

You are placing lots of "hope" on what her recruiter is saying.

Just like any other contract. What is written on the paper will be what is given, regardless if the recruiter said you will recieve a personalized boeing 747 to take you anywhere in the world or "1 million dollar because you won the army's 499,999 recruite enlistment award".

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
No to be rude, but your wife doesn't seem like she has thought this out to well, there is a lot better ways to server this country than joining the army and being sent to Iraq, and chances are...she will go to iraq.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
If she wants to go to a certain location, tell her to go National Guard.
If she is active duty and requests a certain base, saying "there is no guarantee" is an understatement; they will say whatever they want, and put her wherever they want. Count on it.

89TargaT

No Traction FTL...
Jan 30, 2008
Missouri
drunk_medic;1081389 said:
If she wants to go to a certain location, tell her to go National Guard.
If she is active duty and requests a certain base, saying "there is no guarantee" is an understatement; they will say whatever they want, and put her wherever they want. Count on it.

Yup.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Being that I am currently Air Force (2000-Now, I have 3 weeks left in), I'm going to recommend the Air Force. If you love your wife and want to see her, you'd tell her the same. The Army deploys to Iraq for one year or longer as the Air Force does 4 months. The base I'm stationed at is hooked to an Army base (McGuire AFB, Ft. Dix) and I see how they live. Now, I'm not bashing the Army by any means. I just know how life is in the AF right now. It isn't too bad. Plus, they aren't cutting back as much as they were for the past 2 years. So, getting the job she wants won't be as difficult. If you or her have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
Tell you what you do. Take you wife and go visit a VA Hospital that's close to you. Take a look at some of the people that pass through there. Keep in mind that if ANYTHING should happen while she's on active service, any injury, any health problem, this is the network she'll be sent into.

Greg