My Soopie vs a Mercedes S65 AMG

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Hahaha if you don't wanna read too much, I lost... Badly... :icon_razz

I was taking a left onto a main road on the way home from work and noticed a "grandpa Mercedes" swerve behind me as I passed the intersection... I didn't think much of it, as it was a grandpa driving the thing as well (I just thought it was an upper "E" series or something from quick glance).

Right when I complete the turn into the left lane, grandpa jolts into the right lane and comes up beside me... I looked over and saw him smiling at me... I felt a bit awkward (dirty old man!) so I looked straight ahead and continued driving... Apparantly Grandpa felt deprived of my attention, so he gunned it and cut over in front of me, then slowed down... I guess he wanted me to read the ass of his Mercedes where it clearly read "S65 V12 Biturbo" and "AMG" on the other side...

Ok... that got my attention... Some old man (a veteran at that) is messing with me in his $180K+, 11 second quarter mile, 4.2 second to 60 powerhouse of a car... He then cut back over to the right lane and coasted till I got to his side, honked to get my attention and waved his hand to go, then shrugged and looked at me... K... I'm driving a Turbo Supra... fine and dandy... I'm pretty much stock, and to be honest, my Solara was probably quicker... I knew I'd lose... but I've only "raced" a multi-hundred-thousand dollar Mercedes once before in my Solara (how often do you get that chance?)

So I downshift into second, turn on ECT (yeah, I'm auto... get over it!) and spool up into postive pressure, he doesn't honk or anything, just waves me to go and smiles... I'm like "screw it" so I dropped the pedal and got the perfect launch! Very happy! I look in my side view and he's still back there! Whoa! I'm up to 80 and he's way back!! Then... I guess he finally decided to accelerate... I'm sitting pretty at 90 and climbing, watching in my side/rear views as the Mercedes closes the 5 car gap to 4, then 2, then hes by my side... I look at my speedo and I'm now riding at 110 and he's about 1 car ahead and still pulling before we both shut it down due to entering a higher traffic area... Damnit... Granpa just wanted to make me feel stupid... I guess If I had a nearly $200K toy I'd do that too... but still...

Oh well. Hahaha either way it's still a grandpa car, just a really expensive / fast one... And considering I only have around $12K in my Supra thus far (including purchase), by the time I pump a BIT more (haha a substantial amount more likely) into it I should be able to sit by his side quite easily... We'll see what the future holds ;-)

Couple cell phone pics I took when we slowed down for traffic:

p648491_1.jpg

p648491_2.jpg

Peace,

-James

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Great story, and I especially loved the paragraphs, punctuation, and complete sentence structure. I'm pretty sure you misspelled apparently though..............;)

I'm glad you at lest tried to race him even though you knew you were going to have your ass handed to you. I used to have a 1983 supra and a cadilac STS did the same thing to me. I knew I would lose, but I didn't realize how bad it was going to be until it was over.................:cry:

I"m pretty sure if you add another $170,000.00 to your car, you'd have a better chance of beating him...........:biglaugh:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
suprahero said:
Great story, and I especially loved the paragraphs, punctuation, and complete sentence structure. I'm pretty sure you misspelled apparently though..............;)

I'm glad you at lest tried to race him even though you knew you were going to have your ass handed to you. I used to have a 1983 supra and a cadilac STS did the same thing to me. I knew I would lose, but I didn't realize how bad it was going to be until it was over.................:cry:

I"m pretty sure if you add another $170,000.00 to your car, you'd have a better chance of beating him...........:biglaugh:

I agree with almost everything Jay said here. But, Jay, I am sure you didn't spell "least" correctly... MR. English!

I loved the story, and it sounds like you weren't that much slower than the old guy. I take offense to the old guy comments though.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
haha thanks for the comments.

gilber - I definitely knew I wasn't gonna win this one!! Well worth the loss though :icon_bigg

suprahero - Alright grammar police, if you're gonna correct me at "LEST" get your spelling straight!! :icon_razz J/K man, I was at work and trying to type it out quickly without much thought, and it has now been corrected... But yeah, I knew how bad I was going to lose... It was all in fun though, sometimes it's worth it just to see the full beauty and ability of the exotics and simi-exotics.

ForcedTorque - Thanks for calling SH out on that! I was pretty much slower than the Mercedes; keep in mind he started from around 5 or 6 cars back and gained all the distance and THEN some back after I had already floored it! I apologize for offending you with the "old guy" comments, they were certainly not intended to bring anyone down... They were more oriented toward emphasizing the fact, and the uniqueness of a 70+ year old man driving a $180,000+ car TRYING to mess around and race (while tossing in a bit of humor to keep it interesting)! It really impressed me more than anything that someone of that stature (age, military and financial) would still be so playful... So I hope you'll reconsider the offense taken and accept my apology for the usage of that terminology.

-James

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Great narrative... enjoyed the read, James!

...hmmmm.... I suspect the 60-70 range demographic represents more than HALF of the owners of such caliber of vehicle... by virtue of economics alone!

Then there is the SUPRA for the rest of us!

-crisp

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
theprodigy79 said:
! I apologize for offending you with the "old guy" comments, they were certainly not intended to bring anyone down... So I hope you'll reconsider the offense taken and accept my apology for the usage of that terminology.

-James
No Real Offense taken! I'm only a little more than 1/2 way to 70. But as one of the older guys here I had to stand for us all:biglaugh:

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I raced one last week ( or was similar) and was funny because he was riding my ass as I was in the fast lane and not fast enough for him so he swerved around me. I left him like he was standing still. He thought that he would beat me since he got a jump. :3d_frown: As soon as I spooled, I pulled an instant 4-5 cars on him as I was on race gas :biglaugh: I was in third when this happened and didn't even have to use 4th :) I love to show these people up when they think they are better than our Supras. :icon_razz

Duane

They are quick and I think they are one of the sweetest cars out there :love: I hate it when you get a young punk that thinks they are all that driving one.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Since I've been caught.........let the record show that I know how to spell least, but my fingers are short fat and chubby and don't hit the keys right all the time...................:biglaugh:

Good job Duane, but without video it's hard to believe you...................;)

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Haha that's cool Duane. This dude was just having fun, not being an ass or anything. Glad you showed one of them what a Supra is capable of, but unfortunately you have a very rare example! :icon_razz I don't think there are many people on this board who could hold their own against the S65... I know it's heavy, but it's backed up by 604hp and 738 lb-ft torque ;)

Haha and yeah, you have around 3.4 times the power I do!!

Peace,

-James

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
theprodigy79 said:
Haha that's cool Duane. This dude was just having fun, not being an ass or anything. Glad you showed one of them what a Supra is capable of, but unfortunately you have a very rare example! :icon_razz I don't think there are many people on this board who could hold their own against the S65... I know it's heavy, but it's backed up by 604hp and 738 lb-ft torque ;)

Haha and yeah, you have around 3.4 times the power I do!!

Peace,

-James

I realize I have more power and I know the guy you raced seem cool. The guy I raced was a young punk that thought he was king of the road. (probably Dad's car) I just had to put him in his place.

Duane