My opinion of Shaftmasters 2 piece shaft

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
suprahero said:
I don't really know what to say, and I don't know what I found, and I could be imagining it. All I know is my car has never lost traction in third gear while rolling into third. I can always rev up and dump the clutch and spin the tires if I wanted too, but I can now spin them when the turbo spools up in third. I did change to the irridium plugs yesterday and it could be helping also and it could be a placebo induced wild imagination................:dunno:

I didn't quite make it to a 120 today but I did manage 100 and it was still just as smooth as 75. I'll be driving it tomorrow on the highway and will definately get to experience it at higher speeds. I promise not to hurt anyone while testing out my new driveshaft, so please dont' send me any hateful pm's...........:biglaugh:
The bulb shines the brightest before it blows...LOL
Good job, i wish i had one i may just get one.
Jet.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
Reign_Maker said:
WOW! I can not tell you all how pleased I am with all this... ShaftMasters came here, asked me if they could sell... I explained the rules, and they were VERY understanding... They played by the RULES and did the right thing... Now, it's paying off big time... GREAT reviews, positive feedback, new products: I couldnt be happier... ShaftMasters is a shining example of what we here at SupraMania look for in a vendor... Thank you guys so much for taking care of this community... I hope you all are around for a long time to come!
Glad to be aboard. The rules didn't turn out to be too bad once we started having fun messing around with IJ. We took it as a challenge! Now hopefully we will sell a few shafts before the bulb burns out and we can't see to make the shafts!
Robert

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Did you receive my core yet Robert? I couldn't find the other half I was going to send you, but I did send the one that came off of my car.

shaftmasters

Vendor
Oct 29, 2007
michigan
www.shaftmasters.com
suprahero said:
Did you receive my core yet Robert? I couldn't find the other half I was going to send you, but I did send the one that came off of my car.
Jay,
Yes we received it and it was quick too. Thank you and we credited your account for the core deposit. I also was wondering if IJ had to look up those figures or if he knew them of the top of his head. Maybe someday my wife and I will make it to Australia, once we get rich off of all the sales on Supramania! LOL.
Robert

ridah

Thats rice
Apr 4, 2005
Beverly Hills
Is this supposed to be better than their 1 piece shaft? I thought their 1 piece shaft doesn't cause vibrations in the first place.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
Poodles;899662 said:
the crazy speeds these cars can attain for long periods of time may fatigue a 1-piece driveshaft causing a failure...

does anyone ever hold speeds over 125 for an extended period though? i wouldn't even think you would do that in road racing

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
125mph is going to be fine. Someone did some tests on half critical speed and I think it was right at 120-125 mph. I think you get in trouble at around 150 or higher for extended periods of time. You can contact them and they will let you know. Good luck and I'm loving my two piece.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The two piece is more expensive, but I wanted to make sure I was safe and IJ suggested the two piece. That was good enough for me. I know their isn't any way to be safe at 150mph, but I wanted to eliminate one thing that could go wrong. The one piece is safe for probably 99percent of us on here and it would be safe for me too, but I decided to go with the two piece. You'll have to find the posts earlier in another thread wher IJ and a few of our other smart members were posting about the critical speed of a one piece ds. Sorry for the lack of answers, but I'm not one of the smart members, I'm just good looking and funny.............:biglaugh:

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
suprahero;899830 said:
125mph is going to be fine. Someone did some tests on half critical speed and I think it was right at 120-125 mph. I think you get in trouble at around 150 or higher for extended periods of time. You can contact them and they will let you know. Good luck and I'm loving my two piece.

yeah i talked to him a few weeks ago, but it's not the 125mph that scares me.... it's getting the ticket for going 125+ if i wanna go fast, i'll just hop on the motorcycle, i've been clocked at over 160 before, cops usually don't even waste their time :evil2:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've set my cruise at over 100MPH...

Some of the roads here are that open and dead to do it on, and I wouldn't want to sit there worrying about my driveshaft.

Remember, a 1-piece would have been cheaper for toyota to use, but they obviously saw a reason to install a 2-piece...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Both myself and Piratetip have a ShaftMasters 1 piece aluminum DS...mine is an auto, his is on an R-154. We did the calculations to determine critical speed on the these shafts using the actual size/material...critical speed (where the shaft could fail) is up in the 12,000 rpm range for both, no way that will ever be obtained.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58994

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58990

1/2 critical speed is ~6,000 rpm and occurs in the 120-130 mph range. At this speed if there is a resonance (harmonic vibration) in the shaft, it can cause fatigue failure...it would take extended (as in many hours) operation at this speed to cause a failure. ShaftMasters does an excellent job balancing their shafts and uses a foam dampening material inside. Neither me or Piratetip experienced ANY vibration at ANY speed due to the drive shaft, that includes runs in the 120-130 mph regime.

IMO, a failure due to high speed runs with this single piece shaft is remote. I was pretty skeptical too, due to my experience (and several of my friends) with other single piece drive shafts.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57944

Going with a single or 2 piece shaft is a matter of personal preferance...either way will work well and has their advantages. Both are lighter than the stock shaft and ShaftMasters makes a quality product.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Poodles- Go with the 2 piece if it puts your mind at ease. But the one piece has thus far proven to be reliable.
I give an utmost amount of credit to Shaftmasters for creating a 2 piece for the Supra.
These guys are a pleasure to work with.
Like jdub said, our 1 piece ds are excellent, 11.5lbs :)

Here is the excel sheet I created for calculating the driveshaft critical speed.
It also has some other nifty calculations too.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58272

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting their product, but I tend to like overkill when it comes down to durability and safety...

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
Received and installed my 1 piece from shaftmasters, excellent fitment and no noticeable vibration up to 120 mph!(What I took it to). I am HAPPY!