my oil cooler setup

BGood

Jan 1, 2008
Green Lane
I just figured I would put up a pic of my oil cooler for other people to get some Ideas other than the standard "radiator" type. It uses engine coolant to keep the oil at the 180 degrees. It eliminates the need for an oil thermostat too.

Attachments

• oil cooler.jpg
    oil cooler.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 107

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Best make sure your cooling system has extra capacity. I still prefer the external cooler/t-stat.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
im sure that will definetely help the warm up times your car will have in cold weather, but in the summer you might have a hard time keeping your temps normal..... both coolant and oil

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
More info on how it attaches, part numbers, etc. Since it says Aisin I'm assuming its OEM for some Toyota app. Is it shown bolted to the standard 7MGTE filter mount?

I think this is a much better solution than the standalone coolers as the oil temp is maintained without the need for a thermostat, and you get the benefit of a faster oil warmup from a cold start.

I know the "towing package" on the Sienna consists of adding one of these to the 2GR V6.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
With a well maintained, upgraded cooling system, I don't see any problems with it. 3p brings up some other good points as well.

I wouldn't run this on a stock cooling system, though. That's just asking for trouble.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
One of the main reasons for redoing the oil cooler circuit is to get rid of stock filter mount. It is pressure controlled instead of thermostat controlled.

I believe oil only flows through it at 40psi + iirc, which is no good. My cold oil pressures are up in the 60's so it takes a while for the oil to get to optimum operating temperature being that way. Plus the stock filter mount, lines, heat exchanger don't flow very well compared to after market stuff with bigger lines. The thermostat also regulates temps. better.

Edit
Read- http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62838

BGood

Jan 1, 2008
Green Lane
More info on how it attaches, part numbers, etc. Since it says Aisin I'm assuming its OEM for some Toyota app. Is it shown bolted to the standard 7MGTE filter mount?

I think this is a much better solution than the standalone coolers as the oil temp is maintained without the need for a thermostat, and you get the benefit of a faster oil warmup from a cold start.

I know the "towing package" on the Sienna consists of adding one of these to the 2GR V6.

It is actually a ford oil cooler. our oil filter is the same 3/4-16 thread that ford uses. That particular oil cooler is off of the newer e-series vans with a v-8. I got it off of ebay for $30 shipped. The bolt that it came with didn't work, but the bolt that holds on the oil cooler of a 98-ish v-8 explorer does have the 3/4 thread on the engine side of the bolt. the other end is a larger metric thread. So since I already have a remote mount with our stock thread I took the bolt in to work (I work in a machine shop) and simply re-threaded the filter end of the bolt to 3/4-16.

With a well maintained, upgraded cooling system, I don't see any problems with it. 3p brings up some other good points as well.

I wouldn't run this on a stock cooling system, though. That's just asking for trouble.

I have a koyo rad already.

One of the main reasons for redoing the oil cooler circuit is to get rid of stock filter mount. It is pressure controlled instead of thermostat controlled.

I believe oil only flows through it at 40psi + iirc, which is no good. My cold oil pressures are up in the 60's so it takes a while for the oil to get to optimum operating temperature being that way. Plus the stock filter mount, lines, heat exchanger don't flow very well compared to after market stuff with bigger lines. The thermostat also regulates temps. better.

I dont know if you can see it in the picture, but I pulled the stock oil cooler line out of the housing, milled it flat, and then drilled and tapped it for 1/4 pipe thread, then put a plug in it. this eliminates the pressure relief bullshit that toyota, for some odd reason, thought was a good idea. the reason I wanted to keep the original housing is that with the remote mount on the side of the block the intercooler tube was in the way.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A bud has one like this off a Toyota on his GTE 7M Cressida, it looks more compact/easier to fit in.

3.jpg

BGood

Jan 1, 2008
Green Lane
It is a little bit on the tight side, but really isn't bad. I wanted a larger cooler just to be sure that the heat exchanger wouldn't restrict oil flow at all.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Makes a lot of sense if the cooling system isn't 20 years old and marginal ;)

Even if you mount up a real Air to Air Oil cooler in front of the rad you're still stressing the engine cooling as you're preheating the air going through the rad.

It's all about heat rejection xxx BTU's have to go somewhere.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I think Byron's one would have a better chance if mounted under the headlight on the other end of the circuit as it's going to heatsoak from the Turbo/header being so close.

3p: I think my bud's one came of a Jza80.

BGood

Jan 1, 2008
Green Lane
I was actually planning on building a heat shield and a little air scoop to bolt on to help bring in fresh air, dont know how well it would work though. Im sure something will get changed, this is only my first attempt