my new toy

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Definitely an 87 but if you want to get really anal about making sure what year you have. You have two options... taking your Vin to the dealer or taking your Vin to your computer and using the vin code decipher to see what year they tell you your car is.

but its an 1987.

emmkaytree

Mar 15, 2013
Illinois
After October the vehicle is considered a next year model. Example: 7-10 manufactured date is a 2010 vehicle, 9-10 is a 2011 vehicle.

877MGTEGUY

Mar 20, 2013
Abbeville,La
Yeah that's what i thought i just read the wiki page and it said that the first cars rolled of the line in 86.5 so i didn't know if it was gunna be difficult getting parts this is my second mk111 the first was a 89 but a lot of the work was already done so i was just finshing what my bro had started this time i got a stock one for a steal 250$ it has some issues but its a steal i wanna do one the way i want but thanks for the info

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Most parts are common for 7m, it's more the condition you have to worry about. 87-88 is pretty much all interchangeable. As for the motor you can pretty much take whatever year you want unless it's wiring. Not to mention you can take body parts off a 89+ and interchange them to update it. And buying a supra finished is gunna be a lot cheaper then building your own. It's definately a passion bc for the money to get it fast you can buy a v8 already running with 350hp for 3 grand compared to 3 grand just to get it running.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Orion ZyGarian;1925984 said:
10 digit of the VIN is the year. This is true of all cars.

G is 86
H is 87
J is 88
K is 89

etc

Correct. This is the best way to verify model year. Look at your VIN.

emmkaytree;1926362 said:
After October the vehicle is considered a next year model. Example: 7-10 manufactured date is a 2010 vehicle, 9-10 is a 2011 vehicle.

This isn't really true for most cars, and not true at all for the Supra. Most Toyotas sold in North America during the Supra's time period had the changeover in August. Looking at your post now, it appears in your second sentence you are also referring to August, not October, since October is the 10th month of the year.

Even so, these days model year changeovers happen all throughout the calendar year, even when a new model is not being introduced. If you want to know your model year, look at your VIN. Alternatively you could check with someone versed in specific knowledge about your model of car, but the first one is easier.

Jeff