My new brakes from azp

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
te72;1822692 said:
Talk to Albert on here, I believe they're working on something, not sure if it's quite ready just yet though.
Thanks for the help Brad. I always thought it would be fun to keep 50K+ in brake inventory in stock so that everyone could jump through hoops to make 16 inch wheels work. You will need to decrease the size of your rotors to run a 16 inch wheel. Oddly enough the 12.9 inch rear kit fits under stock Saw blades. As for the front, the Wilwood Caliper mounting ears interfering with the Toyota stock casting, are what keep you from running a smaller than 13" front rotor.

Ever look for 16 inch performance tires? Its almost easier to find 17's now, unless your planning on running a Honda width wheel.

phatbimmer;1831573 said:
Thanks, I will definitely save this thread for when I buy the BBK shown on here and use the spacers.
Spacers are not required, and I always tell EVERY customer to please call me if you have ANY questions. Im not sure how much Les paid for his wheels, but I could have recommended some that are less than $220 a piece and you can get them in 4 different diameters, many different offsets, and almost any width between 7" and 10".

ALSO if you guys call me I can direct you here before you purchase a wheel I can try to help. This thread will tell you how to make a template to check the back of any wheel to see if it will fit before you buy it.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ow-if-your-wheels-fit-over-the-Wilwood-brakes

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
phatbimmer;1830703 said:
Yes that is my car and those are the wheels I'm using right now. 10mm spacer sounds good I'll write that down, and I had been reading a thread on here a while ago where someone was recommending some wheels spacers but I forgot the brand, in any case I'll def. get some spacers somewhere and I agree they all like to charge a bit much for them.

Thanks

project kics spacers

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
arz;1831993 said:
Spacers are not required, and I always tell EVERY customer to please call me if you have ANY questions. Im not sure how much Les paid for his wheels, but I could have recommended some that are less than $220 a piece and you can get them in 4 different diameters, many different offsets, and almost any width between 7" and 10".

ALSO if you guys call me I can direct you here before you purchase a wheel I can try to help. This thread will tell you how to make a template to check the back of any wheel to see if it will fit before you buy it.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ow-if-your-wheels-fit-over-the-Wilwood-brakes

Dude your awesome :), I will deff. be giving you a call but like I stated I've had my wheels for a while now and I was just wondering if I had to get spacers or not but I will deal with that when the time to buy them comes you will be getting a call from me. Thank you for having this BBK available for us MKIII owners.

Also thanks A. Jay for letting me know of the spacers name.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
arz;1831993 said:
Thanks for the help Brad. I always thought it would be fun to keep 50K+ in brake inventory in stock so that everyone could jump through hoops to make 16 inch wheels work. You will need to decrease the size of your rotors to run a 16 inch wheel. Oddly enough the 12.9 inch rear kit fits under stock Saw blades. As for the front, the Wilwood Caliper mounting ears interfering with the Toyota stock casting, are what keep you from running a smaller than 13" front rotor.

Ever look for 16 inch performance tires? Its almost easier to find 17's now, unless your planning on running a Honda width wheel.
I meant no offense Andy, I was unaware that any of your brake kits fit under the stock wheels. 16" stickies are getting hard to find, so I have been going with 17's and intend to stay with them due to tire selection. :)

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
te72;1832239 said:
I meant no offense Andy, I was unaware that any of your brake kits fit under the stock wheels. 16" stickies are getting hard to find, so I have been going with 17's and intend to stay with them due to tire selection. :)
No problem, I guess most people dont understand what kind of investment in money and my personal time it takes to have such an expensive component ready to ship at a moments notice. I think so many people get wrapped up about wheels that they completely forget to check old OEM designs. There were several different Mustang 17 in rims that came in a couple different widths that you might be able to get off of a forum or CL. Probably for $100 a wheel.

This link is from a couple of years ago, but if complete tire and wheel packages are this cheap imagine how cheap the wheels alone are.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...wheel-tire-packages-not-april-fools-joke.html

Not sure how current this website is, but check out these prices.
http://www.cruizinconcepts.com/saleensscwheels.asp

Is seems pretty silly to design a completely new brake kit to save a few bucks when you can just get newer wheels and save your time and money.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
arz;1832243 said:
Is seems pretty silly to design a completely new brake kit to save a few bucks when you can just get newer wheels and save your time and money.
Personally I don't understand going with a BBK and staying with stock wheels... with just a fresh set of Porterfields and machined stock rotors I was able to lock up all 4 wheels from 60mph. BBK is going to give you enough braking strength that you're not going to be able to utilize the braking potential using stock wheels...

Anyway, I'll be picking up a set from you probably after summer sometime, gotta get a few things to prep the chassis so we can get started on that. Then saving up for brakes. :)

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
te72;1832601 said:
Personally I don't understand going with a BBK and staying with stock wheels... with just a fresh set of Porterfields and machined stock rotors I was able to lock up all 4 wheels from 60mph. BBK is going to give you enough braking strength that you're not going to be able to utilize the braking potential using stock wheels...

Anyway, I'll be picking up a set from you probably after summer sometime, gotta get a few things to prep the chassis so we can get started on that. Then saving up for brakes. :)
Its not that you can lock up the brakes once, its that you cant use the brakes more than 2 or 3 times from over 100 mph. Anybody that thinks their modified stock brakes are perfectly sufficient, try to stop you vehicle from 100+ down to 5 mph and back up to 100 and down to 5 mph, 3 of 4 times in a row. Not a girlie stop, a full on "as hard as you can stop" without locking or flat spotting the tires. Make sure on the 3rd or 4th stop you have plenty of road in front of you, you WILL need it. Tell me if this experience does not give you the worst stomach ache you have ever had. When your brakes fade or fail unexpectedly, it is one of the WORST feelings you have ever experienced.

With our brakes, I have done this 10+ times and was going well over 120 each time.

Stock brakes SUCK no matter how you slice it.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
arz;1833020 said:
Its not that you can lock up the brakes once, its that you cant use the brakes more than 2 or 3 times from over 100 mph. Anybody that thinks their modified stock brakes are perfectly sufficient, try to stop you vehicle from 100+ down to 5 mph and back up to 100 and down to 5 mph, 3 of 4 times in a row. Not a girlie stop, a full on "as hard as you can stop" without locking or flat spotting the tires. Make sure on the 3rd or 4th stop you have plenty of road in front of you, you WILL need it. Tell me if this experience does not give you the worst stomach ache you have ever had. When your brakes fade or fail unexpectedly, it is one of the WORST feelings you have ever experienced.

With our brakes, I have done this 10+ times and was going well over 120 each time.

Have to agree with you on all of that, until you get that feeling of maybe not being able to stop you think your stock brakes are ok.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
arz;1833020 said:

I completely agree. Stock brakes are barely adequate for a stock car. Start bumping up the HP and driving the car hard, and they start to suck, very quickly.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
arz;1833020 said:

Andy, we're back to the argument that most people who will be repeatedly stopping their cars from such speeds are likely (hopefully) to have invested in a bigger wheel/tire setup for the extra grip in all areas. Hence, my position that a BBK for stock wheels seems kinda pointless. ;)

I know what you mean though, you know those "brake-lock" type anti-theft devices? Well, once upon a younger-and-dumber time, I left mine attached to the brake pedal of the 240 I had, and drove to the end of the parking lot with a completely useless (due to the anti-theft device) brake pedal. I know that sinking heart feeling all too well, and it only took once...

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
te72;1833786 said:
Andy, we're back to the argument that most people who will be repeatedly stopping their cars from such speeds are likely (hopefully) to have invested in a bigger wheel/tire setup for the extra grip in all areas. Hence, my position that a BBK for stock wheels seems kinda pointless. ;)

I know what you mean though, you know those "brake-lock" type anti-theft devices? Well, once upon a younger-and-dumber time, I left mine attached to the brake pedal of the 240 I had, and drove to the end of the parking lot with a completely useless (due to the anti-theft device) brake pedal. I know that sinking heart feeling all too well, and it only took once...

You know what you get, when you get what you didn't expected?

EXPERIENCE!!!

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Indeed, and a strong right arm from pulling on the E-brake and hoping like hell that you can slow the car down... Some experience is best left unknown. :p

Rupinder

Supramania Contributor
Apr 24, 2007
Toronto
Andy was awesome to deal with. I have also upgraded by BBK which i had built for the car 10 years ago (feeling really old now) to the AZP front and rear kits. Brakes are amazing.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Rupinder

Supramania Contributor
Apr 24, 2007
Toronto
Rupinder;1834286 said:
Thanks,
I will try and get some pics with wheels on for tomorrow.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Still getting some last minute summer stuff done. Will take some more with the car on the ground.

Rupinder

Supramania Contributor
Apr 24, 2007
Toronto
phatbimmer;1834973 said:
wow that looks neat, I'm going to pay a bit more to have them give me the anodized brake hats and rotors

The black anodized hats look amazing as well. just a personal preference. Cant go wrong.
Here are a couple of pics of my old BBk Setup
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg