My last and final attempt at ice cold AC...Lots of pictures

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
So I have struggled getting really freezing cold AC in my 86.5 Supra for about 4 years now. Living out in the AZ dessert seemed to take a toll on my stock AC system. I went through it multiple times making sure everything was 100% perfect, and even still it struggled. I did a lot of research and finally mustered up the money to upgrade everything as much as I possible could. Beyond what I've done there is nothing I can think of to upgrade it any further.

First thing I wanted to do was upgrade the condenser to an aftermarket parallel flow unit. The stock condenser is serpentine which is a decent design, but not quite as efficient at releasing heat as a parallel flow of the same size. The parallel flow has smaller channels for the vapor refrigerant to travel through allowing it to release more heat faster. American Condensers is the only company that makes a drop in parallel flow condenser for our cars.

My car didn't have a pusher fan stock, and the line configuration was such that the suction line in front of the condenser was smack in the middle of the condenser. If I wanted to use an electric pusher fan, I would have to swap the line to the model that has the right bends to allow a pusher fan to fit. Unfortunately, almost all the lines are different, so it wasn't a matter of swapping just the one in front of the condenser. I had to change the hardlines along the firewall and all the lines in front of the condenser. The only lines that could remain unchanged were the flex lines off the compressor. So I got lines from a donor car and flushed them out to get any old oil or debris out.

To take it a step further, I wrapped all the suction lines with insulation foam. This will keep any ambient and engine bay heat out of the suction lines which would make more work for the condenser.

Next thing on the list was the evaporator core. The pre 89 Supras use a serpentine evaporator, whereas the 89+ Supras use a plate/fin evaporator. Just like the condensers, the plate/fin is a more efficient style of evaporator and removes heat from the air more efficiently. I got a donor unit from another Supra, but it was covered in oil and had a leak. I bought a brand new Denso evaporator and thermal expansion valve to replace it. I had to use the plastic evaporator box from the 89+ to fit the plate/fin evaporator in place. The pre 89 evaporator box will not work with an 89+ evaporator. Along with the new evap and TXV, I got a new Denso reciever dryer, which should be replaced any time the system is opened up.

Finally, I bought a 10" Spal pusher fan. I have used Spal fans in the past and have been very happy with them. Spal makes fans for OEM applications and the aftermarket units are on par with OEM quality. This fan is from the "high performance" series and features a large electric motor which pulls around 10 to 12A and rugged paddle blades. I was surprised at how much air it moved. This was the largest fan I could find from Spal that would fit in the space I needed it, and it fit perfectly. I used a Bosch style relay to trigger the fan whenever the compressor clutch engaged.

The result? Really cold air from the vents. First test drive I was very impressed. Forecast shows 103 degrees/ 30% humidity at the time of the test drive, and it was blowing 38 degree air at the vents with the blower on medium and vent on recirculation. After 5 minutes of idling, it was still blowing a frigid 42 to 43 degrees. So far, I am impressed. Time will tell if this system meets my needs :)

Now for pictures.

Brand new Denso Evap, TXV, and drier.
p1867597_1.jpg

p1867597_2.jpg

p1867597_3.jpg

p1867597_4.jpg

American Condensers drop in parallel flow
p1867597_5.jpg

Lines cleaned up and wrapped with insulation
p1867597_6.jpg

p1867597_7.jpg

Condenser in
p1867597_8.jpg

p1867597_9.jpg

Pusher fan in and wired
p1867597_10.jpg

p1867597_11.jpg

p1867597_12.jpg

p1867597_13.jpg

p1867597_14.jpg

p1867597_15.jpg

p1867597_16.jpg

Foam underneath the condenser to fill the gap. This keeps air from bypassing the condenser and makes sure that any air that is pulled through the radiator is pulled through the condenser first.
p1867597_17.jpg

And the vent temps while driving (clutch cycles off at about 38 to 39 degrees at the vent, and back on around 42 degrees at the vent)
p1867597_18.jpg

And vent temp after almost 5 minutes of idling
p1867597_19.jpg

Will keep the thread updated as I get more use out of it.

The good stuff.
p1867597_20.jpg

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
good work and info

my ac was blowing nice a cold where i wouldn't even keep it on 65 on the climate control

then it stopped working one day at the end of last summer i believe my compressor died out as it had green dye under the pully area and it felt like it was putting more then normal drag on the motor, maybe it was starting to seize up? this summer ive just been slacking on it lol i guess because i have a 4runner with ac so i would use that on extra hot days

going to get a new denso compressor and hope all is well

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I wonder what the secret is? From what I understand JetJock is that the vent temp should be 30 degrees lower than ambient temp sitting still at idle. So in my 90 degree garage the best I can manage is 58-60 degrees out the vents until I get moving. Within 5-10 min of driving, it will get down to 40 degrees. So what am I doing wrong that I cant get 40 degree temps sitting still just from idling? Im sure insulating the low side lines would help, but if youre saying you got the same performance on your stock system than maybe you know something I dont?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
I plan on having mine up to par when I ship my Supra to Phoenix from Kuwait when I finally leave here.
Denso makes one that all the retailers say is paralell flow part number NP4770145 but Id want that verified before shipping here.
I'm running a piccolo tube from a later model toyota that the tech here made work and its blowing cold enough and its hotter here than phoenix. Ill get my Cappucino temp guage out later today when its hot and measure the temp.
I had to ditch the small AC fans on the rad when I went 1J and have a small fan on the condenser which also comes on when the compressor engages. I do need to get all the pipes changed though cause there are some bent ones that go to the firewall.
Im running R-134, no more R-12 here.
Temp outside - 100 f
Dash temp - 126 f
Idle 60 f
60 mph on low 44-48
60 mph on med 50-52
Sounds like parallel flow tíme.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, not going to get much colder because of the way the system works to stop it from freezing up. Good job though, wonder what it would have done with R-134....

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Poodles;1867641 said:
Yeah, not going to get much colder because of the way the system works to stop it from freezing up. Good job though, wonder what it would have done with R-134....

check out my R-12 to R-134 thread poodles best we could do is 39-38 out the vents

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
JDMMA70;1867644 said:
check out my R-12 to R-134 thread poodles best we could do is 39-38 out the vents

My 134 retrofit with the stock yota condenser is still uncomfortably cold after a few minutes. I was worried after hearing everyone talk 134 down, but my experience has proven quite the contrary.

I'm loving the freezing cold! 134! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
suprarx7nut;1867679 said:
My 134 retrofit with the stock yota condenser is still uncomfortably cold after a few minutes. I was worried after hearing everyone talk 134 down, but my experience has proven quite the contrary.

I'm loving the freezing cold! 134! :)

This has been my experience as well. All pre-89 components + parallel flow condenser + R134 has given me solid A/C performance. I'm sure not as cold as an R12 arrangement or a modern car, but it certainly keeps me happy on ~90 degree days.

It does get hot/muggy up here in Minnesota (90s are pretty common in the summer), but obviously no as extreme as AZ.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Maple191;1867611 said:
How is it you guys keep getting R-12?

Some of us guys have a refrigeration license. The others are breaking the law on ebay. Just a hunch....

You should have done what I said, leave AZ. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, I have a ton of parts sitting around to do this myself. Sadly, the condenser I have isn't parallel flow (same company, just before they made the better one :( )

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
f00g00;1867638 said:
...and its blowing cold enough and its hotter here than phoenix.
Didn't know that was really possible anywhere that people actually lived haha. By the way, 103° in Phoenix this time of year is a rather cool day. Typical to be 115-120° in late August. Good fun, that... Don't really miss that, but what I wouldn't give for their winter temperatures. :p

Cy, I have a lot of posts to get through, but I'll look back through this one when I get caught up. Did I see a total price for all this somewhere, or no? Would be very interested to see what this would set a guy back. Car seems like a total fuster cluck, but I'm sure it is very comfortable...

Any reason to not do this on a higher performance car? I appreciate AC, and I'm doing everything I can to mitigate engine bay temperatures. I know that stock, the AC system was quite well made, but my car is about as close to stock as a typical modern Toyota is to the stuff made in the 80's...

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Nick M;1867689 said:
Some of us guys have a refrigeration license. The others are breaking the law on ebay. Just a hunch....
I do have my A/C licence but we were trained that all of North America it is illegal to use or buy R12

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
In the US it is illegal to vent CFC12 to the atmosphere. It is perfectly legal to recover/recycle CFC12 provided you keep records of where the CFC12 goes. The EPA wording is....

Technicians repairing or servicing CFC-12 MVACs must use either recover/recycle or recover-only equipment approved by EPA. Recover/recycle equipment cleans the refrigerant so that oil, air and moisture contaminants reach acceptably low levels.

The sale of any size container of CFC-12 to anyone other than certified technicians was prohibited under section 608 of the Act beginning on November 14, 1994.

Canada may be different.