My Future build.

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
So since I got a badass job now that means more money and MORE parts lol. So today at work I wrote out a list that wanna see what you guys think about it.

The List:
7mgte
Titan Motorsport Main caps
Lightweight Crank (if there is one out there)
Crower Rods
JE .20 oversize pistons. (what would be the displacement? and displacement for the .40 oversize?)
METAL HEADGASKET
1mm Oversize valves (Ferrea)
Ferrea Dual springs with Ferrea Retainers
Stage 2 or 3 Cams (BC)
Titan Racing seat harness
x2 Racing Seats with 4 point harness
Big Turbo (was thinking new GTX 3582R)
Walbro Fuel Pump
Driftmotion Upgraded Oil Pump
Gates Timing Belt
Idk injector size yet (is it possible to dual port the head?)
AEM Oil Pressure, Boost, Water Temp Gauges installed in gauge cluster, and AEM Air Fuel
Coilovers (BC)
ST Sway Bars
Oil Relocation Kit
Oil Cooler
The Best FFIM out there with 90mm Throttle body
Oil Catch Can
End Links
ProEFI Tune for 25psi or more
Rebuild and Upgraded R154
Stage 2 or 3 Clutch
Custom Downpipe
New Bushings
Arp Head, Main and Flywheel Bolts
Lightweight Flywheel
Lightweight Driveline
New Water Pump
Mishimoto Radaitor
Mishimoto Electric Fans
Big Brake Kit
Tail Wastegate
Tail BOV
Redo Intercooler correctly
Maybe Shortshifter
Lightwieght Pulleys

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I suppose if you told us your goals we could give suggestions. But it seems like you have done only some research, and aren't too sure about what exactly you want. Things like "Lightweight Crank (if there is one out there)" and "The Best FFIM out there with 90mm Throttle body" show you know of these things, but haven't bothered to research it in any depth. We aren't going to spoon feed your build list to you.
-AM3

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yeah well bc there is a stroker kit for the 7m and come with a lightweight crank and didnt know if anyone else has blueprinted it,and the FFIM would prob be from here

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Well the crank would end up being a ground and polished one. I'm trying to figure out right now, why anyone with that good of a paying job would want to dump that much money into a 7M..... I have one and have a ton of mods on it, but if I had as good of a job as you say you do, then I would ditch this 7M and run a big single on a 2JZGTE. You might see 700 if your lucky on the 7M. The 2J can go WAY higher....save the extra cash and swap for a 2J. A lot less headache in the end.

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Nah I wanna be different and prove the 7m is still a good engine. And if anyone can answer this but the .20 oversize pistons bring it to a 3.1 L does the .40 bring it to a 3.3L?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
91Supra313;1838012 said:
Well the crank would end up being a ground and polished one. I'm trying to figure out right now, why anyone with that good of a paying job would want to dump that much money into a 7M..... I have one and have a ton of mods on it, but if I had as good of a job as you say you do, then I would ditch this 7M and run a big single on a 2JZGTE. You might see 700 if your lucky on the 7M. The 2J can go WAY higher....save the extra cash and swap for a 2J. A lot less headache in the end.
700 if lucky? With enough budget and patience there are 7M's out there pushing more than that. I see more 700 HP 7M's than 700 HP JZ's on this list. Granted there are a lot more 7M's than JZ's on this forum, but the point I really want to make is that the 7M is a much more capable engine than you make it sound. In terms of reliability of a used motor, a JZ will be much more likely to last, but properly built the 7M will hold up just as well. It really comes down to a matter of preference, budget, and goals. There are pros and cons to each motor.
laxboy36;1838038 said:
Nah I wanna be different and prove the 7m is still a good engine. And if anyone can answer this but the .20 oversize pistons bring it to a 3.1 L does the .40 bring it to a 3.3L?
Higher displacement won't give you power like a properly built and boosted 7M does. But I agree, I'm sticking with my 7M because its looked at as the underdog compared to the JZ, although whether it needs to be proven is another thing, I think some of the member's cars here have proven it already.
-AM3

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Mine is one of those that have proved the people wrong. Just look at the sig block and do some number crunching. There is quite a bit dumped in there. Don't get me wrong, I love my 7M..... But to always have the one huge worry in the back of your mind....No matter how well it is built, the dreaded BHG. I have seen 2 motors built with forged internals, upgraded everything.....and on 10 psi on a ct26, blew his HG. But there are 2Js out there hitting 30+ psi and laughing at it.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I remember my first big dream list....

Seriously, do some research. Your looking at 15k+ in parts there. And this "stroked" 7mgte everyone talks about is literally a difference of I believe 4 millimeters? Ij or Jeff Lange is the guy who told me that the 7m is stroked just about to its max from factory. So you really arent going to gain much from that. And if you dont have to bore the block, please dont.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
airhead04;1838070 said:

As do I... I vividly remember throwing it in the trash can.

I'm not trying to shoot down dreams, but even with a good paying job, a build like this is ... well... a lot more money than you realize.
The best advice I've seen on this forum is this:
"Budget your build. Take that number and multiply by 2. Then add some more to it."

I'm living that truth right now. Even with a basic 2JZ GE-T on 7M electronics, I'm about 3 times my original budget... and it isn't done yet.

Do your homework well. Understanding every aspect and dynamic of this car and motor will save a lot of headaches. But be prepared, there will be headaches.

On a more upbeat note though; good luck with the build, and start a build thread too :D

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
airhead04;1838070 said:

Seriously, do some research. Your looking at 15k+ in parts there. And this "stroked" 7mgte everyone talks about is literally a difference of I believe 4 millimeters? Ij or Jeff Lange is the guy who told me that the 7m is stroked just about to its max from factory. So you really arent going to gain much from that. And if you dont have to bore the block, please dont.
This stroker kit bumps the stroke from 91 to 97.5, giving you an extra 200 cc's. While that's not a bad increase, reliability is what becomes the issue. Having a longer stroke now means the piston is traveling 6.5 mm farther every revolution. This seemingly small increase is enough to put the piston speed dangerously high putting a lot more stress on the connecting rods. The 7M already has a long stroke, making it longer is just asking for trouble. To get a little more in depth on this, Supracentral wrote this post which is actually where most of my information comes from.
-AM3

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I don't see why everyone is so concerned with piston speed. The LS7 revs to what, 7k rpm? Iirc, the piston speed on that is ~4200 ft. min. Granted, they have some crazy rods, but they're also chucking around a lot larger of pistons than we are.

And then there's the 10,000 rpm 7M dragsters that I'm sure have higher piston speeds than 4200... Build it right and a stroker will hold together fine. That's my .02

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
RazoE;1838223 said:
Oh, no..every one had a 7m to begin with.

This is true but most didn't give it a chance or never had a chance with the 7M let alone getting a chance to have a powerful 7M.

I admire the fact the original poster wants to stay 7M reminds me of myself. When i first started making decent power and had all this money dumped into my car and yet still people would look at it like trash after i told them it was a 7M. Although they quickly changed there mind when they went for a ride or seen how quick it really was and this feeling was awesome.

Do what you want and don't listen to all the people who tell you to change your plans. Stick to your guns but listen and know the pro's and con's.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Don't get me wrong, I swapped in a 7MGTE into my 89 and couldn't be happier. I've also swapped in a 2JZ-GE into my 92 and love that as much.

The problem is with all that money and dreams, he's going to basically spend more for similar results.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I have a 7m that I built. A few people know of it. And if I could have done it differently, I would have gone 2j. And most likely I would be making twice the power with the same money I've spent...

Not saying don't give the 7m a chance, I did and it's treated me great. But you also need to slim your build down....because right now, your looking at at least a years work with what your wanting to do.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
airhead04;1838236 said:
I have a 7m that I built. A few people know of it. And if I could have done it differently, I would have gone 2j. And most likely I would be making twice the power with the same money I've spent...

Really i figure so far with the money i spent i'm around 375whp and not including the price of the car about 4k in parts

Now to be honest a 2JZ GTE swap would cost upwards of 6k just for the swap (not to sure just a rough guess) and that nets you around 280whp..

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Turbo Habanero;1838248 said:
Really i figure so far with the money i spent i'm around 375whp and not including the price of the car about 4k in parts

Now to be honest a 2JZ GTE swap would cost upwards of 6k just for the swap (not to sure just a rough guess) and that nets you around 280whp..

But if you are looking for more hosrepower a 2j would be the better choice money wise, and aftermarket parts wise. If you are looking to keep under 500 whp a 7m would be much better for the wallet, because if you already have one in your engine bay then you are not spending on a swap. If you are looking for major power, upwards of 800+ a 2j is your friend. It has been built to over that horsepower number many times, and I think it is easier to find parts to build a 2j compared to a 7m. Plus I think a 2j is much more forgiving than 7m's. This is all just my opinion tho. I am sure there is someone out there that disagrees 100% with me.