My full rebuild......

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Well all it finally happened after 6 glorious months of driving with the ONLY BAR and CA approved NA-T swap:evil2:. The wastegate actuator line blew off and I overboosted:cry:. Not very forgiving for a small tune and stock HG. So the car blew on August 7, 2008. I finally just got some time and my first weekend off got the new actual turbo block torn down and my old setup out of the car. Damage assement on my old one stand like this: no compression on cylinders 2,4,5, 32psi compression on 3, 84psi compression on 6, and 1 is perfect ironically. Broke 2 valve springs, bent 1 valve, spun the #3 rod bearing, and blew the front and rear main seals. The seals blew cuz a faulty hose that pinched shut and built pressure in the motor. Oh and the HG is toast on 2-6. The good block needs all new bearings and rings but the crank checked out good. It needs a hone only thankfully also and new everything which is a given. Im going with standard rings and clevite bearing set. HKS MHG with ARP's torqued to specs. An input on bearings or good rings would help greatly and ill update with pics of everything when i get my new camera cord tomorrow. Thanks all for the support to come and any help/advice/ideas is appreciated greatly.

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
bluedragon17;1157569 said:
Well all it finally happened after 6 glorious months of driving with the ONLY BAR and CA approved NA-T swap:evil2:. The wastegate actuator line blew off and I overboosted:cry:. Not very forgiving for a small tune and stock HG. So the car blew on August 7, 2008. I finally just got some time and my first weekend off got the new actual turbo block torn down and my old setup out of the car. Damage assement on my old one stand like this: no compression on cylinders 2,4,5, 32psi compression on 3, 84psi compression on 6, and 1 is perfect ironically. Broke 2 valve springs, bent 1 valve, spun the #3 rod bearing, and blew the front and rear main seals. The seals blew cuz a faulty hose that pinched shut and built pressure in the motor. Oh and the HG is toast on 2-6. The good block needs all new bearings and rings but the crank checked out good. It needs a hone only thankfully also and new everything which is a given. Im going with standard rings and clevite bearing set. HKS MHG with ARP's torqued to specs. An input on bearings or good rings would help greatly and ill update with pics of everything when i get my new camera cord tomorrow. Thanks all for the support to come and any help/advice/ideas is appreciated greatly.

dam son.

you toasted those internals.

good luck with the rebuild

$$$$

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Thanks man and yeah I really did. Tore into it today and wow, just WOW!!!!!! Iv'e seen small block chevy's let go and even a couple big blocks but this one takes the cake I think. Its bad so far. Most of the bearings are trashed and the bent vlve ended up nicking the head......Yeah $$$$ is right

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
When you overboosted, did you suck in a bottle of nitroglycerin? lol

Sounds like you done did blowed it up good, boy.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
no nitroglycerin here. Or n2o either. Just straight boost this time. It was a sopmewhat tired and old bottom end so it was its time to go. But new build and hopefully more power to come..... just waitin on some money to burn a hole in my wallet to start this build off is all.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
what type of engine? Reason I am asking is that the 7m based motors are non-interference. So I am curious how you bent a valve and broke two valve springs?

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
its a 7m. and i know they are non interference. chunk of a piston is not very forgiving to hot valves...... complete tear down showed more damage than i thought

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
pics hopefully coming soon!!!!!! need a new camera cord which should be here by this tuesday I hope. And dual valve springs huh??? More info if you would please IJ i know alot of V8 guys running them but i didnt know our cars could. Might be adding somethin extra to my build list now......