My First Car

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Thanks for all of the compliments.

Update: The clutch in my car was replaced at a local import shop, and I also added some cupholders to my mk3.

p1749532_1.jpg

My brake master cylinder is also leaking where it connects to the booster, so I ordered a replacement from Driftmotion and am waiting for it to come in.:naughty:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
that car is minty fresh haha. If the headgasket hasn't been replaced yet, though, watch out as it'll probably have to be replaced eventually. Just a heads up :)

Another thing, is that if you're not going to mod the heck out of it (which I'd hope you wouldn't), I'd at least replace your sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones to reduce body roll around corners at least a little bit :)

I'm not sure if I missed it, but is it a sport package car? (TEMS/LSD)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Moy;1749695 said:
that car is minty fresh haha. If the headgasket hasn't been replaced yet, though, watch out as it'll probably have to be replaced eventually. Just a heads up :)

Another thing, is that if you're not going to mod the heck out of it (which I'd hope you wouldn't), I'd at least replace your sway bar bushings with polyurethane ones to reduce body roll around corners at least a little bit :)

I'm not sure if I missed it, but is it a sport package car? (TEMS/LSD)

I forgot to list that the car does have the sport package.
Is their anyway to tell if the headgasket has been replaced?
What are some pros and cons to polyurethane sway bar bushings?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I'm really not sure other than R.O.'s (repair orders) for the headgasket replacement. The advantage to poly swaybar bushings is that it limits bar movement while cornering while still retaining the stock bar's properties. if you wanted to stiffen it up even more, replace the bars with aftermarket pieces

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
If I owned that car, the first thing I would do is pull the head off and do a OEM replacement head gasket and ARP's with a resurfaced head. Catch it before it lets go because its not if it will let go, its when, Ticking time bomb. You will thank yourself later. A car that clean needs to have the head gasket done properly and the motor will last another 200k+ miles.

That is a BEAUTIFUL Mark 3!

I would pay 5600 for it any day of the week! Great find!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
The other day I got my new master cylinder from Driftmotion. They seemed to be the best option, considering that it is a new OEM master cylinder, and was cheaper than getting a non-OEM brand at a place like AutoZone. Now I just need to replace it.

p1753180_1.jpg

Today, I also polished my exhaust tips. I used TurtleWax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover. For all of the tar that was spattered on them I used WD-40 and Bug and Tar Remover. I then put two coats of wax on them.
Here are some pictures.

This is what they looked like before.

p1753180_2.jpg

p1753180_3.jpg

I was suprised that the chrome polish even took off all of the black stuff that was built up on the inside of the tips. (left is polished, right is untouched)

p1753180_4.jpg

p1753180_5.jpg

I haven't put them on the car yet, but I did sit them on there. I think that they look much better now that they are polished.

p1753180_6.jpg

p1753180_7.jpg

I'm going to put them on tommorow and try to get some pictures of them shining in the sunlight.:icon_bigg

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well, a couple of weeks ago I finally replaced my leaking master cylinder. Last weekend I replaced my spark plugs, rotor, and cleaned the distributor cap. While I had the throttle body off to do this, I cleaned it and the y-pipe because they were covered in a thick layer of grime. I flushed the cooling system with water and then switched from the green coolant to Zerex G-05. Two days after I finished, that stupid rubber cap on the heater pipe by the exhaust manifold started cracking and leaking:: angry ::. I'm gland I caught it in time, before it broke all the way off. I replaced that now so im not leaking coolant anymore. The car seems to idle much smoother and accelerate better than before the new spark plugs and throttle body cleaning. I also baught some Hella DOT conversion headlights from a member on here to replace the dim sealed beams and the difference is AMAZING:icon_bigg! I can actually see at night.

The black interior caps for the mirrors on the doors were broken on my Supra, and didn't stay on right so I baught some replacement ones from Toyota. I was just wondering if I have to take off the door panel to replace these. I was able to get the old broken ones off without taking off the door panels, but it looks like the door panel will have to come off to put the new ones on. Can anyone confirm this?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Ah the joys of fixing up an old car. Good stuff bud. Ya I really don't think you would need to remove the door panel to replace those mirror caps. On my Toyota pickup you don't have to. I'm still not 100% familiar with my Supra either but if you do end up having to pull the edge of the door panels be careful with them. There is a certain way to remove them properly other wise they could get damaged and not stay on right.

thebigbadbanana

May 19, 2009
Middle TN
Extremely clean car, sir. The quality of the interior is absolutely jaw-dropping.
Had to do a double take when I saw the Celica stereo in there haha. It looks surprisingly good in a mk3.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
planemos;1772529 said:
Ah the joys of fixing up an old car. Good stuff bud. Ya I really don't think you would need to remove the door panel to replace those mirror caps. On my Toyota pickup you don't have to. I'm still not 100% familiar with my Supra either but if you do end up having to pull the edge of the door panels be careful with them. There is a certain way to remove them properly other wise they could get damaged and not stay on right.

I don't want to force the new ones on there and break them also, so I will probably have to remove the door panels to get the clip on the bottom into the hole without breaking. I have removed the door panels before to replace the speakers, and was just hoping that I wouldn't have to to replace these things, because it is kind of a pain to remove them.

thebigbadbanana;1772733 said:
Extremely clean car, sir. The quality of the interior is absolutely jaw-dropping.
Had to do a double take when I saw the Celica stereo in there haha. It looks surprisingly good in a mk3.

Thanks. When I realized my stock stereo was broken I didn't want to get an aftermarket one, because I don't really care for the way that they look. I saw a thead on here about replcaing the radio with a newer toyota one, and went on ebay and bought one out of a newer Sequoia. I guess it is the same stereo in the celica as the sequoia.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Silver MK3;1772847 said:
I don't want to force the new ones on there and break them also, so I will probably have to remove the door panels to get the clip on the bottom into the hole without breaking. I have removed the door panels before to replace the speakers, and was just hoping that I wouldn't have to to replace these things, because it is kind of a pain to remove them.

I did end up having to take off the door panels to change them, but it wasn't too bad, and now they aren't broken and they stay on right.
I haven't done much recently. But I did replace the power steering return line, and radiator cap that were both leaking.
I bought this off of another member here a few days ago.

p1785060_1.jpg

I tried to order this from several toyota dealers online and over the phone, and all of them told me that it was discontinued:cry:, so I had to buy a like new used one!

Now all that I need is for the mail to deliver my black shift and e-brake boots from empera, and I won't have to look at the old hard and crumbly e-brake boot anymore:icon_razz.

Once my boots get here I will post some pictures of the new interior pieces.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Here are the pictures of the shift boots and shift knob that I promised almost three months ago.
p1817325_1.jpg

p1817325_2.jpg

p1817325_3.jpg

I also replaced the clips on my upper hatch moulding, so now it doesn't stick up anymore and sits flush like it is supposed to.
Before:
p1817325_4.jpg

After:
p1817325_5.jpg