My FIRST car - Aloshan's 2JTHIS

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
Hey Guys, I know Ive been on these forums for awhile but in the rush and excitement of purchasing my 1st supra ( or 1st car for that matter) I didn't get to properly introduce myself.

So I came to Australia from South Africa in 2003 and instantly fell in love with the Japanese cars of the late 80's - 90's . The sleek lines of the 200sx in any iteration or the sound of an rb under a skylines hood sent shivers down my spine.I swore to myself that I would own at least a r32 gtst. As time wore on I found that Skylines where becoming relatively inexpensive and therefore extremely common. They where now known as "japanese commonwhores". When I had finally completed my degree and acquired a stable well paying job I was able to afford what I always wanted but instead decided to pursue an avenue not that common. I saw an ad for a Toyota Supra turbo in the gumtree classifieds and went to see it. Knowing that because of the p plate laws in Sydney(if you have your provisional plates you arent allowed to drive a turbo car) , non turbo mk4(jza80) supras where now becoming the new "japanese commonwhore". I was adamant that I wasn't going to be a sheep and follow the crowd.When I first laid eyes on the ma70 i now own I instantly fell in love with it. The sleek lines, that aggressive front and the torque pull of the 3.0L turbo completely consumed me. It oozed 80's japanese style and wasnt as common as the mk4's. I had to have it.

When I bought it in Dec 2010

23lbl82.jpg

In my excitement I had forgotten to follow the proper steps that should be undertaken with the purchase of any used car and basically purchased it for a very good price but with a lot of issues.The car started out with

- a slight knock from the 7mgte
- diff leaking and non lsd
- auto gearbox safety switch broken(also as340e auto tranny meant for non turbo yet handling boost leading to issues)
- fuel tank leaking
- fuel lines damaged
- digital dash intermittently working ( fuel gauge and speedo doesn't work)
- brakes all round where worn ( rotors and pads)

After driving it for a month I decided to stupidly turn the boost up without knowing enough about 7m's and their inherent weaknesses. Apparently they are notorious for not being able to deal with low oil conditions. After a night of spirited driving on 0.7bar boost ( up from stock of 0.35 bar) a knocking sound greeted me the following morning. This got worse with increased revs and I knew something was terribly wrong. After a listen by an experienced ear it was confirmed that I indeed had spun a rod bearing and this needed a bottom end rebuild. At that point I decided whether to go 1jzgte or rebuild my 7m. My friend and mechanic was an avid mk3 supra owner and collector and had a number of high performance parts from forged pistons and rare TRD group A camshafts to a diff and fuel tank that I needed. A 7mgte built properly and taken care of can make insane amounts of power.

I decided to rebuild the 7m , take care of the blown head gasket problem they are notorious for and build it to hold in excess of 350kw.

-I used forged pistons that where over sized which meant I had to bore and hone the 7m out to just under 3.1L
-I used the group A TRD cams with 288intake 288 exhaust with insanely high 12mm lift (very rough idle)
-Installed a metal head gasket with ARP studs/bolts and torqued to 110nm after the head was decked
I kept the stock rods as I felt they where enough for my purpose
-Installed an lsd diff so I could get the power to both wheels
-All new brakes(rotors and pads all around)
-New fuel tank

10xdahu.jpg

2ent344.jpg

The only part of the mk3 design that I did not agree with and thought looked outdated where the pre89 tail lights and the ugly stock sawblades. I took the tail lights from a later model mk3 and fit them on to give it a more "updated" look.

att4p4.jpg

Ive replaced the amber indicators with clear ones

2mzmaft.jpg

11h89bt.jpg

Ive also fit Volk Racing Sf Challenge Zero that cost me quite a bit but with 275's 18x10 in the rear and 235's 18x9 in the front , they certainly suit my needs and look much better

1zxpbhe.jpg

jhwn13.jpg

2liezk3.jpg

By March this year I hope to have the r154 and haltech installed and running 250kw on a safe tune. As it stands the engine has only done 1200km.I have completed running it in and it is set at stock boost. Once the vacuum lines and the transmission is fixed I plan to turn up the boost to as much as the stock intercooler and ct26 will allow. Once they are maxed and Im confidant the engine can hold the power I plan to throw on a gt35r, 1000cc injectors,intercooler, 400lph walboro furl pump and see what numbers I can reach on the dyno. Id be more then happy using it as my daily and holding 300rwkw reliably on safe boost.

Toyota badge removed, TRD badge put in place, TRD oil cap , painted pod filter cover , removed timing cover(due to be replaced with carbon fibre timing cover)

p1796639_1.jpg

p1796639_2.jpg

p1796639_3.jpg

p1796639_4.jpg

p1796639_5.jpg

Painted side strips yesterday

p1796639_6.jpg

Added 3.0L turbo badge in rear. This is the absolute most number of badges I will put on my car

p1796639_7.jpg

p1796639_8.jpg

Most recent pic taken yesterday at Brighton le sands 22/01/2012 :

p1796639_9.jpg

p1796639_10.jpg

As funds allow I plan to swap the r154 in , install and tune the computer and slam it with some megan ez streets.

Hopefully the respray will be done at the end of the year. In the meantime Im doing little things here and there and working on bringing my girl back to factory standard before I start putting some real power down.

Last edited:

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
1SLOMK3;1796700 said:
Want to ship me your old turn signals??????

Sorry , had a hard time getting them off, the left one broke. right one is somewhere around but im sure that will be of no use to you

cash;1796699 said:
nice build! i like the paint you dont often see any painted like it

its actually an exterior interior color combination that technically doesnt exist as a paint code for the a70 yet it hasnt been painted. I have a whole thread dedicated to the weirdness of it :

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?148067-Anyone-seen-this-color-MK3-before

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
fuhh i waqs gonna say the same thing (sell me ur euros.... imo ur old turn signals > cleAR) nice wheels though

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
installed Invidia RS-R straight through 3inch exhaust with custom 3inch dump pipe. Stock exhaust was quite restrictive + this gives it a nice deep growl as well :)

Difference between 3inch and stock exhaust diameter :

p1814833_1.jpg

p1814833_2.jpg

p1814833_3.jpg

p1814833_4.jpg

p1814833_5.jpg

p1814833_6.jpg

installing the new turbo next week

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
nrdriver;1815226 said:
pretty nice ride. i dig the wheels. not so keen on all the decals but to each his own

yeah ive had that before but the only thing I added on was the TRD sign up the top. The 3.0L turbo was there (replaced it with a better one) and of course supra was there as well(just brightened it up a bit), so its just one added badge. Granted I will never add another badge to the car , either to the front or the rear. this is the maximum I intend to put on

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
My current mod and future mods, those with the * hasn't been purchased yet

Engine :

-Fully rebuilt
-Head skimmed and decked
- HKS MHG
-ARP Studs/bolts
-TODA R camshafts
-Forged Pistons
-Adjustable cam gears
-honed/bored
-aftermarket radiator
-aftermarket oil cap
-high flow theromstat
-carbon fibre timing cover

Brakes

-front slotted rotors
-Intima SR brake pads
-braided brake lines

Monitoring Tools

-Aem wideband
-Hdi electronic boost controller
-Hdi boost guage

Intake

- Apexi Power Intake filter
- Aftermarket inter cooler with 2.5inch piping *
- Intake pipe from power intake to turbo *
- Stainless steel 3000 pipe *

Exhaust

- Invidia RS-R 3inch cat-back full exhaust
- Custom 3inch downpipe
- 3inch turbo elbow

Engine Management

- Standlone
- Harness
- Tuner to tune

OR

- eManage Blue

Transmission

- a340e transmission cooler *
- suprastick auto ecu box *
- r154 transmission *

Suspension

- Megan Ez Streets coilovers
- Front and rear sway bars
- New bushes all around

Interior

- Leather covers for seats *
- Backseat removed *
- New steering wheel *
- Console trim redone *
- Analogue Dash swap from digital dash *

Exterior

- Remove spoiler once dropped on megan ez streets *
- Smoke tail lights *
- Respray in same colour *
- Clear side marker lights *
- Clear indicators
- Talight swap to 89+ tail lights
- Sidestrips painted

*= HAVNT DONE YET

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
removed my turbo to take a look and just how bad it was. seals were fucked, leaking oil everywhere. Seems like the cause of my white smoke. Replacing with a high flowed ct26 60-1 in the next week or so. car is sitting in my parents house without a turbo.

p1826377_1.jpg

p1826377_2.jpg

p1826377_3.jpg

p1826377_4.jpg

p1826377_5.jpg

p1826377_6.jpg