My brother is a jack-ass, help

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Here's the deal, I'm trying to put a 7MGE back into my little brothers Supra and he didn't label the vacuum lines. I found a diagram for most of the stuff on the manifold. My issue is the stuff under the manifold (driver side). There is agold can thing and some other vacuum valves. The label on the hood is worn down and the Chilton does not have a diagram for this. Can anyone help? Thanks - :1zhelp:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
67rstbkt;1031967 said:
Here's the deal, I'm trying to put a 7MGE back into my little brothers Supra and he didn't label the vacuum lines. I found a diagram for most of the stuff on the manifold. My issue is the stuff under the manifold (driver side). There is agold can thing and some other vacuum valves. The label on the hood is worn down and the Chilton does not have a diagram for this. Can anyone help? Thanks - :1zhelp:
The TSRM has the vac line routing, it's listed in the stickies.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Thanks for all the help; I got all the vacuum lines hooked up and even got the thing running. I just have to figure out why I get a T.P.S (code 41) and A/C or neutral safety (code 51), and it's ready to hit the road!

castrol supra;1032101 said:
My bro is the same way.

Smack him for general purpose.

Right on the ol' knowledge knot.

Glad I could help.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
IF you throttled the engine up while you were pulling codes.

This will automatically throw up a 51.

If you think you did this. Unhook the battery for a few minutes then hook it back up and pull codes again. Don't touch the throttle and hopefully 51 will be gone.

If not it's probably your tps.

I think 41 is an afm code. I start throwing those and I just replace that thing.
It's as big a pain in the a$$ as the head gasket crap.

My car isn't even running and I replace that piece of junk every summer.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
I pulled codes with the engine off - The Haynes manual lists 41 as the TPS; which I can figure out. I'll try to adjust it first and replace it if it's out of spec. The code 51 is listed as "Air conditioner switch or neutral start signal switch". The A/C was disconnected before we started, so I wouldn't think this is the problem. I will take a closer look at the neutral safety today. Thanks again for all the great advice!

castrol supra;1032569 said:
IF you throttled the engine up while you were pulling codes.

This will automatically throw up a 51.

If you think you did this. Unhook the battery for a few minutes then hook it back up and pull codes again. Don't touch the throttle and hopefully 51 will be gone.

If not it's probably your tps.

I think 41 is an afm code. I start throwing those and I just replace that thing.
It's as big a pain in the a$$ as the head gasket crap.

My car isn't even running and I replace that piece of junk every summer.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
code 41 said:
Diagnosis
Open or short circuit in throttle position sensor signal.
Trouble Area
Throttle position sensor circuit
Throttle position sensor
ECU

code 51 said:
Diagnosis
No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.
Trouble Area
A/C switch circuit
A/C switch
A/C amplifier
Throttle position sensor circuit
Throttle position sensor
ECU

Notice the common areas, the code 51 might relate to the TPS as well. Be sure that it is fully plugged in, and set to the TSRM spec.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Thanks - I will get right on it. I had planned on looking into the TPS issue first. Thanks for the advice. :icon_bigg

foreverpsycotic;1032594 said:
Notice the common areas, the code 51 might relate to the TPS as well. Be sure that it is fully plugged in, and set to the TSRM spec.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
You will get Code 51 when the TPS is in the CLOSED position. It just needs to be calibrated. If you continue to get Code 41 after Code 51 is cleared, you should replace the TPS.

I remember seeing a write-up on how to adjust the TPS somewhere, but can't seem to find it. If someone runs across it please post it here.

NINJA EDIT: The easiest way to clear the ECU codes is to pull the ECU fuse under the hood for 30 seconds, instead of unplugging the battery and having to reprogram your stereo again.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Thanks, I found the procedure in the stickies,TSRM manual, page F1-101

SupraMaster;1032614 said:
You will get Code 51 when the TPS is in the CLOSED position. It just needs to be calibrated. If you continue to get Code 41 after Code 51 is cleared, you should replace the TPS.

I remember seeing a write-up on how to adjust the TPS somewhere, but can't seem to find it. If someone runs across it please post it here.

NINJA EDIT: The easiest way to clear the ECU codes is to pull the ECU fuse under the hood for 30 seconds, instead of unplugging the battery and having to reprogram your stereo again.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
Well, everything worked out, thanks for all the advice. Here are some pics of the finished job. The motor is a JDM that I found on ebay. I changed the head gasket, valve stem seals, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, and most of the gaskets/seals.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
SupraMaster;1032614 said:

It's moot at this point because everything worked out but for future reference the above is just plain wrong.