My 89' MkIII Supra N/A

RoadWarrior

Feb 21, 2012
Chicago's West Suburbs
I've always liked supras but all I've looked at was the MkIV and thought I could never get one of those. Of course this car has a story to it, but it was clean for the price of $2,700. The guy I bought it off of was the 3rd owner and has had it for 8 years. Its been in Florida so all its had to damage it was the sun. This gave it the faded red. Otherwise, the car is pretty much rust free and in immaculate condition for having 200k miles on the body. He had the motor replaced with another 7M-GE with 40k miles on it. After that, its been sitting for a year. Theres been a new clutch,newer tires,newer muffler, and other small performance parts with small wear on them installed. Im looking to keep restoring this car until im able to get my license and it becomes my first car. Looking forward to hearing from you all and im open to any suggestions to what I should do to the 7mge or body. :icon_bigg

Here's the first day with my MkIII and the starting pictures:

2881e1e.jpg

28bgr2u.jpg

34tbg5i.jpg

11goapd.jpg

6y1wtw.jpg

2hi2zc4.jpg

2cohjjb.jpg

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

Feb 21, 2012
Chicago's West Suburbs
Havent updated in a while, but so far ive replaced the back hatch supports and some other few minor fixes. Mainly though, im in the middle of painting it black heres some pictures so far..
10fom54.jpg

xdfa0j.jpg

2mhto1t.jpg

34zd45x.jpg

^^^ taping off to paint the trim a satin/flat black

24e7rk9.jpg

2dsnskl.jpg

Painted the spoiler, targa top and inside of hood the glossy black also, pics to come soon.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I would have kept it the same color myself.
The only decent way to paint a car a completely different color, is to strip it down completely and do the interior, engine bay and jambs.
I HATE seeing a supra with a nice paint job, then you open the hood and see a different color firewall.

But, if you do it right, it should look good. Just don't paint it with spray cans, for the love of god.
I also recommend you use paint strip on the wheels and polish them. They actually looks really nice that way.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
ps- while you've got the tail lights out- replace the seals for them. They're pretty cheap from the dealer, and will keep water out of your hatch area.

RoadWarrior

Feb 21, 2012
Chicago's West Suburbs
supraguy@aol;1821276 said:
The only decent way to paint a car a completely different color, is to strip it down completely and do the interior, engine bay and jambs.
I HATE seeing a supra with a nice paint job, then you open the hood and see a different color firewall.

But, if you do it right, it should look good. Just don't paint it with spray cans, for the love of god.
Yeah im making sure we do it right, i don't want it looking like a half ass paint job. We have a paint gun as well no worries, hahaha. & yeah when we took out the lights, my seals were shredded. I could get those off a toyota dealer?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
yeah, like $15-20 each.

And...you have a paint gun...ok....good...
And you also have a dust-free, humidity-controlled paintbooth?

Just sayin- don't expect perfect results in your garage, but as long as you wet-sand/ buff the paint before clearcoat,
it'll probably come out ok.

RoadWarrior

Feb 21, 2012
Chicago's West Suburbs
Thats pretty decent, ill probably pick those up seeing that mine are ruined. & well of course we are making this a do it yourself project so the garage with washed floors will have to do. Im expecting a decent result, just not top dollar shop quality. That would be unrealistic