My '89 Dark Blue Turbo Collision Repair Project (Unplanned..)

Not knowing the condition of the frame, would you personally:

• Part the car out (30K on built 7m, seamless r154, etc.)

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Sell the car in current condition

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Make this a long-term collision repair project (my choice)

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Can't decide without inspecting the extent of the damage

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Well, it has been an interesting week or so..here's a quick rundown ( for cliff-notes, read the bold areas):

- I sold my white '88 to Ben (TurboFreak) last year, and had my eyes on his old '89 7mgte dark blue metallic hardtop :love::love: I remember saying that I wish this thing was still for sale (again, over a year ago).
- Two weeks ago, I notice that EdgeSupra, who purchased the '89 from Ben, was now selling the Dark Blue '89!! I knew I had to have it, so two personal loans later (from good friends LOL), I was down in VA Beach (~3.5 hour drive) buying the car.
- The original plan was to caravan back, with both of my supras :biglaugh: that Sunday, but my buddy had to flake on me so I left my 1J '88 at his place. So to resolve the issue of having multiple cars in multple towns, this past weekend on Friday 12/19 I headed back down to Newport News (where my buddy lives), to get my light blue '88 and caravan back with him this time around.
- Side note: I met an awesome and beautiful girl down in VA Beach when I bought the car from Justin! Just had to throw that out there to see if anyone reads all of this stuff haha.
- I am driving on 295 South, getting onto 64 East, which is a huuuge elongated onramp....it had just rained an hour or so before, but was now clear and everything...when I transitioned from concrete bridge to asphalt (see pic below), there is a "ba-bump" to where I bounced up, on a slippery surface, on a curved road, and before I could blink, my rear end was to the right side of me, and I was sliding sideways, looking at a guard rail that was on the left side of the road. I tried to recover as best as I could, braked here, steered there, but still spun around once or twice and smashed ass-first into the guardrail. I was wearing my seatbelt, and am happy that my seat too most of the impact! It could have been much worse, I walked away with a small bump on my head from hitting the top of the window opening upon impact...The Supra definitely had my safety in mind for this one haha.

You can get an idea of what happened, sorry for the MS Paint quality! The box with the dots on the front (headlights haha), is a shitty representation of how the car spun around.
11ul0tc.jpg

And here is the result:

EDIT (7pm):HERE ARE BETTER PICS FROM FRIEND'S IPHONE:

28l4d2b.jpg

141iiw1.jpg

m4q3r.jpg

What you CANT see is the damage to both rear quarter panels, to where the doors don't close correctly....I will post better pics when I get back down to the car, and I have a video of the onramp too.

These areas are F'd:
- Driver's rear quarter panel crumpled slightly
- Passenger rear quarter panel smashed up a good amount
- Passenger rear quarter window is shattered
- Both tails are smashed, but the bulk of the damage is on the right rear corner of the car.
- Rear bumper is pushed down a bit
- Right rear wheel well (rear side) is pushed very close to the tire (about a quarter of an inch to half inch clearance)
- The hatch is in good shape! I have not had a chance to get it up in the air to check for frame damage, but the car rode pretty good on the way back to my buddy's house (with him following closely behind, due to lack of tail lights!! lol) where it is sitting right now, waiting for a rescue :aigo:

UPDATE 12/31:
So I took a train from D.C. to Newport News, with a sack of tools and a set of '88 tail lights in my bag, slapped them on the car (after beating on it for a while with a hammer...) and drove it back home without ANY problems. BUUUUUT, apparently I did not get a good enough look at the car the day I crashed it...because she is definitely totalled beyond REASONABLE repair.

EDIT: uploaded from cameraphone...

Before tail lights
xfyv0m.jpg

After tail lights :naughty:
15oulbq.jpg

The Good News:

Thanks to Pogoism, I purchased my '89 White/Blue cloth targa 5-speed shell yesterday, and got it delivered. The car had been repainted in the last 5-8 years, and has sat for the last 4 or so years. She is VERY dirty, but when you wipe down past the grime, the paint is actually in great shape, besides a few trouble areas (rear bumper, center piece of wing, hood, gas door, passenger side headlight cover, and that's about it). So the plan is to make one BAD ASS '89 targa from my wrecked dark blue and this new white shell....and then I am going to put it up for sale. I need to get on the phone with Champion ASAP to start ordering OEM stuff (7M gaskets, body seals, etc.)

All in all, this new shell is in really good shape, with only one noticeable dent (passenger front fender, right above the wheel). The interior has it's trouble areas, but nothing that I can't pull from the dark blue car.

4v3h4n.jpg

That is all for now, thanks for reading.

Patrick

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Not sure if I made this timeline clear enough, so here it is:

I purchased and drove home this car on Sunday, 12/14

I crashed the car on Friday, 12/19, with ONLY liability insurance, which is basically not having insurance in this situation...so I am indebted to this car for the long haul!! hahaha

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
In my experience, with a unibody, you are far more likely to suffer frame damage in a front end collision than a rear one. I would save the car.

By the way, I know where there is a shell w/ taillights. I think the guy wanted 250-500 for it. It still has taillights and all that too. I'll call him and find out, he's in Waldorf, MD. PM me if you want.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
pogoism9;1208979 said:
In my experience, with a unibody, you are far more likely to suffer frame damage in a front end collision than a rear one. I would save the car.

By the way, I know where there is a shell w/ taillights. I think the guy wanted 250-500 for it. It still has taillights and all that too. I'll call him and find out, he's in Waldorf, MD. PM me if you want.

PM Sent! :naughty:

I hope you are right about the bold'd part above..

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
First off, nice to know you're ok. :)

Without proper insurance, I think you really have one choice, to keep it. I can't really tell from the pics but it seems that it "may" be ok? Not sure, but keep us updated and post more pics.

Duane

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
EdgeSupra;1209015 said:
:cry::cry::cry:

TurboFreak;1209051 said:

I know guys, I know...But I AM KEEPING IT AND FIXING IT!! Now she will finally get that much deserved re-paint :naughty:

I found a shell in MD, thanks to pogoism9, pretty cool how quick I can make moves with everyone's help! :biglaugh:

upgradedsupra;1209059 said:
First off, nice to know you're ok. :)

Without proper insurance, I think you really have one choice, to keep it. I can't really tell from the pics but it seems that it "may" be ok? Not sure, but keep us updated and post more pics.

Duane

Yes, I am very fortunate that I didn't slam front-first into the rail...that could have really hurt.

And yea, I don't have much choice but to keep/fix it! If I can grab this shell, and get my car back up here soon, I can get Doug (BMW painter guy) to get started on her :love:

Keep a look out for updates!

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
TurboFreak;1209090 said:
Oh just to bring this around full circle, I sold my burgandy 86.5 supra to Pogoism9 as a parts car....

LOL!! That's funny..

Zerocool;1209094 said:
Glade your okay but that's no way to get acquainted with a new supra... :( :nono:

Haha yea you're telling me...I was so used to driving my 1J with wider wheels and different suspension for so long, that I didn't have enough of a chance to find/avoid the breaking point of this new one I think..

But as they say, "This too shall pass"

:kickinthenuts:

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
Yes, I am a Supra Slut(tm)

Although I am getting into the Lexus side of things these days.

Also, I am saddened to report that Ben's old burgundy car has officially been crushed as of May or so...Lot of good stuff I pulled off that thing...Good to know it will help make a Yaris or two... :)

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
88mkIIIproject;1209103 said:
Haha yea you're telling me...I was so used to driving my 1J with wider wheels and different suspension for so long, that I didn't have enough of a chance to find/avoid the breaking point of this new one I think..

OH please your telling me it wasn't all the torque you are not used to from owning a 1JZ????

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
TurboFreak;1209118 said:
OH please your telling me it wasn't all the torque you are not used to from owning a 1JZ????

HAHAHAHA I thought it could have been that at first, but then I remembered how reality works, and how Pogoism9 is right!! Haha :sarcasm:

pogoism9;1209119 said:
Oh come on now, you know he had wider wheels on the 1JZ because of all that torque :naughty:

We are all supra sluts it seems...I have driven/owned:

- My dad's old '88 black/tan leather auto/NA targa, in good shape
- The white '88 blue leather 5 speed/NA hardtop, beater with 200K on it
- My excellent condition 1JZ '88 light blue metallic, blue cloth
- And this Supra in question...'89 dark blue metallic beast (~30K on the engine arp's, MHG, oversized pistons, DDP, stock turbo; koni yellows/eibach's; perfect r154; ~216K on the shell..)

I was about to order personalized plates for it---- all you VA owners, don't steal this one! LOL

7MONSTR

:naughty:

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
pogoism9;1209133 said:
Yeah, I have owned:

89 Turbo
88 Turbo
2x 86.5
91 Turbo
91 NA
89 NA

Now I have 2 SC's, one is for my swap, one will be a driver.

nice Supra list!

I have been considering an SC, and doing an N/A>T with the 2JZ :naughty: for a daily driver...any advice??

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
muuuch better pics added in first post..

Yes, I talked to Bart, thanks! I am planning on heading out his way to check it out soon..sounds like it will be a good deal.