My 88T vs 87 Built 5.0

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Well, I've had this 60-1 CT on my car for about 3 weeks now. I've got to say, it is more than I could ever imagine. I'm peaking at 19psi but tonight, experimenting, I had only set it at 10psi...

As usual, the group of car guys are just hanging around B/S'ing when a couple guys in an 87 Mustang 5.0 challenge me to a race because I guess word gets around quick about my car.:icon_bigg

Me only being at 10psi, I didn't know what to expect. He had just recently rebuilt his motor, advanced timing, gears, etc. etc. I'm not 100% sure on the mods, but it ran a 13.30 and I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to run just yet. At his request, we do about 10 interstate pulls.

The first 3 pulls were from a 60 drop. Me being AT(Represent A340E:naughty: ), I had a slight hesitation as opposed to his instant throttle response...however, I still manage to pull on him harder than ever...He "started" to pull on me at 120, by 135, I backed down and he was just beginning to pass me. This happened for 2 more pulls.
We do another set of runs...Now an 80 drop.
Again, I pull on him but not as quickly as the 60 drops.
After he realized that he couldn't catch me...he said to do a 50 drop...

At this point, I'm feeling pretty confident...:icon_surp :icon_surp
Kicks down, he gets me for the first 3 seconds, but AGAIN, I start pulling on him all the way up to about 110. Moral of the story? He was really cool about it but was PISSED that he's spent a year working on his Mustang, brings it out, and gets beat. How about that? :naughty:

So...judging by those pulls and me being quicker than him in 1st and 2nd gear...I "should" be in the 13's....or 12's.:evil2: :evil2: ....Maybe. :icon_conf

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
good run, friend just bought a 5.0 at a seized car auction and the thing still has some balls so we'll see what i can do against it.

what are you using to run at 19psi and what are you using to fuel that boost?

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Believe it or not, my stock fuel system is somehow letting me dump out 19psi BEFORE it hits fuel cut. Because I am still on my stock fuel system, I am running daily about 12psi...But a little off topic...Aren't the stock AFM's suppose to choke off around 14-15psi Max?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
it goes by airflow not pressure... and actually with an upgraded turbo id think you would be moving more air at say 14-15 psi than with a stock CT. you should hit fuel cut alot earlier. I say be very careful. You should very seriously consider upgrading your fuel system immediately. Cheap insurance... much cheaper than a rebuild. your fuel pump is 17 years old.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Incorrect. My fuel pump is 4 months old. :)
Although it IS a stocker...It's somewhat new. I had a couple buddies that worked at AutoZone that "hooked me up";) with OEM parts for dirt cheap...so, yeah. That's why I'm in that pool. Yes, upgrading the fuel system is in the near future.

*EDIT*- It was just experimental to see just how high the boost would go before cutting off...Still ponders my mind why it's higher when it "should" be cutting off at 12-13psi. Oh well. If anyone paid attention, I raced him at 10PSI.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
i noticed u dropped it to 10 to be safe, wise idea. yes it is odd that it went that high without fuel cut, id check the condition of your AFM... the tsrm has the for resistances across leads of the AFM. Make sure they're in range, maybe its getting more air than it thinks which could be bad
And about the fuel pump... good thing that you replaced the stocker haha... sorry for assuming

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
It's all good, my man. The first 3 months I owned this car, I spent damn near a thousand dollars in MAINTENANCE parts to make sure I was starting as fresh as I could minus doing a complete rebuild. Now that I think about it, my AFM screw is still completely open so that it allows 100% of unmetered air in. Hmm...That "could" be why because I've seen people do it and have their FCO raised. Hmm...:)