My 86.5 - Powered by Chevrolet

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I'll do point form of the history to attempt to keep it brief.

-Purchased the car about 4 years ago. Had a broken windshield and missing front bumper at the time. Replaced everything it needed with my father. (This is my first car)

-Drove the car for a year in stock form, including all winter. I live in Nova Scotia so we get a fair amount of snow. I quickly learned how to deal with a lot of oversteer. This sparked my interest in being able to keep the car sideways on dry pavement. The image of a torque monster slowly grew in my mind.

-I've worked at an engine shop since I graduated from high school. My father owns a small block camaro and I've worked with sbc's a lot at work. A 2jz swap was always a dream of mine but after doing the math I came to the conclusion that I could get more power for far less money with a small block swap. So i started work on it.

-In my spare time at work I built a Full roller 350 with about 10:1 comp. Ported a set of 305HO heads and a no-name intake up so it could breathe really well. (the heads lost several pounds each in the process) And threw it all together with all the tricks and go-fast parts I could afford at the time. It makes about 350hp and 370ft/lbs of torque. Nothing special, but should work ok with my 150hp shot of nitrous. (and should do it all very reliably)

p1490364_1.jpg

-After that was done I built a trans adapter plate so the sbc could mount up to the stock w58. (I am well aware this won't last for long, so when it breaks I'll be going r154) With a couple of adapters I also got the toyota flywheel mounted on and everything checked out. None of it looks all that great but the accuracy of the system is far beyond OEM specs.

p1490364_2.jpg

p1490364_3.jpg

p1490364_4.jpg

I mounted the toyota started to the adapter plate, the hole in the bellhousing has been welded in properly.

p1490364_5.jpg

To use the factory 7m alternator and power steering pump I built custom brackets and cut up the old 7m pulley so that it would mount to the chev harmonic balancer.

p1490364_6.jpg

-My father and I cut all the rust out of the car, there was a ton of it. Welded in all new metal, smoothed it all out and threw a quick coat of paint on it. I picket up an aftermarker front bumper that had been smashed all to hell. About 5 pieces if i remember correctly. I fiber glassed it all back together and mounted it. The rims are mustang 18's. I have since gotten rid of them so don't flame lol

p1490364_7.jpg

p1490364_8.jpg

p1490364_9.jpg

-I mounted the block in about a weekend. wasn't all that tough of a job. I sat it as low and far back as I could. The biggest job was the headers. I used these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Chevy-305-350-SBC-Chrome-Chevelle-Exhaust-Headers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4ced0924b6QQitemZ330394313910QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
The pass side fits with minor floor modification and the drivers side needed to be cut apart and re-welded. No biggie, they were cheap. They are now wrapped in black header wrap and look pretty nice.

p1490364_10.jpg

p1490364_11.jpg

p1490364_12.jpg

-My exhaust is full dual 3" and it runs through a dual in/dual out Magnaflow muffler.

-Cooling is taken care of with a Mishimoto rad, dual 14" electric fans and a high volume electric water pump.

-Fuel is delivered with the stock pump with a holley blue inline pump and FPR.

-I have re-upholstered a lot of the interior and replaced the 500lb seats with a cheap set of apc's to save weight. The rear seats have been removed and I swapped the factory spare with a "donut" spare from a mustang so that The inside of my hatch is flat on bottom without using that damn piece of wood.

I have a little wiring left and I need to figure out my intake and she'll be complete! My plan is to have it done for early summer. We'll see how many bugs come up.

Stonedaily

Dec 11, 2007
Long Beach, CA
WOW great job man. i've always wanted to do a similar thing but i am a ford guy not a chevy one. anyway, absolutely amazing. i wish you all the luck and keep on posting more pictures and info please.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you have the LSD rear, which I'm guessing you do, you're better off pulling out the donut spare and getting a CAA membership instead. Running different sized tires on an LSD isn't a good idea.

Nice work, looks well thought out.

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Thanks for the good words guys.

ForcedTorque - It is going to be a street car with a little bit of strip and hopefully track time. It sits about an inch higher now so I'm interested to see how much weight it lost. If you're talking about moldings/plastics they will all be going back on along with everything that is essential.

Stonedaily - I'll be updating this as I make progress. I actually have quite a bit more done than I have pics of. Right now the car is covered in about 18 inches of snow so It might be a while.

GrimJack - Good point, I should have explained better though. I guess it isn't actually a donut. It is a really thin full height tire. I didn't think of that before though so thanks for the input.

Something I should have mentioned before is that I built this car kinda of poking fun of what are usually called "ricers". Working where I do I deal with a lot of idiots who think they can get their kia's to do low 12's with an intake and exhaust. I love seeing people's eyes when I fire it up and it sounds ENTIRELY different than they expect. Hence the odd paint job. It shouldn't be an all-show no-go type of car.

For those who are thinking "god that thing sits high" I will definitely be lowering it when time/money permits! If you have a really cheap coil over setup feel free to Pm me :p

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No worries, I just like to help make sure everyone has covered all their bases.

The other trick you can often pull is to yank a wheel off the front, mount it on the back, and put the donut on the front. Lots more work, but it'll get you to a tire shop.

thorpedo

Apr 30, 2009
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I built new places for them to mount of course. I extended the old ones forward at a slightly different angle and boxed it all in. I will be using some form a torque strap too on both sides of the engine which helps a lot.

I'll get pics when I can... It is all up to the snow though lol

stevenr816;1491136 said:
I am definately interested in how your motor mounts work have any better pics of them? I'm doing the same project but mostly stock for now. It's an 87 body just like yours and I can't see how yours work without having a plate welded to the frame.

Here's mine
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114572