my 85 7mgte dyno #'s

avp23

Mar 18, 2008
Washington
im sure you guys want to see a list of mods to go with it hu? ahh o alright. :1zhelp:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

je pistons
eagle rods
ported head
60-1 trim turbo
550cc's walbro
fpr
lexus afm
3 inch exhaust
2.5 inch intercooler pipe
12X3X24 intercooler
afc apexi
avcr apexi
litend flywheel
bcpr6es spark plus. was what i was running at the dyno. then went home and changed to 1 step colder bcpr7es
cant think of any more mods that are important to list.

avp23

Mar 18, 2008
Washington
yes, the tuner said that if he tryed to take out any more fuel then it would ping! i need to have some adjustability in my timing

csolstad

Nov 12, 2005
Clinton, NJ
you can definitely pull a bit more fuel... youre reading 10 or below, lol. 11's and 12's are still pretty safe...get some race gas if you're worried

avp23

Mar 18, 2008
Washington
well since I'm using cp pistons and eagle rods, I think the ecu thinks that its knocking. so its pulling timing. every time the guy that was tuning my car would try to pull fuel he and others that worked there said they heard pinging.

thats my theory.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
avp23;1027333 said:
well since I'm using cp pistons and eagle rods, I think the ecu thinks that its knocking. so its pulling timing. every time the guy that was tuning my car would try to pull fuel he and others that worked there said they heard pinging.

thats my theory.

That's definitely not right. You are running WAY rich and have plenty of fuel to pull. 11.5 A/F ratio is a safe start, and you will see much more power then what you already have.

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
man i was about to do the same thing. Swap a 7mgte into a mkii. Im currently looking for a clean shell to start the project. The power to weight ratio must be awesome. i will definitly be following this build up

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
avp23;1024563 said:
yes, the tuner said that if he tryed to take out any more fuel then it would ping! i need to have some adjustability in my timing

I agree with some of the others, your tuner is being lazy. Even if the ECU was on the verge of pinging (due to too much timing from pulling fuel), he could always drop the fuel pressure and compensate in other places with the SAFC. If he could get away with dropping the fuel pressure enough to the point he had to add fuel with the SAFC, then he could get you even safer with your timing.

Car looks great and it looks like you have a healthy setup that would be capable of much more power. If I were you I'd go back and pay for more dyno time, but demand a re-tune.. but then again. If he couldn't do this on his own maybe he shouldn't be tuning anyways..

avp23

Mar 18, 2008
Washington
well the same guy has tuned my car and many many supras before. i trust him, And thats the only dynojet around. so i kinda gotta go there. theres no one else that can dyno there. :p

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Well I don't know where he's coming up with the argument that your car will start pinging if he pulls fuel past a 10.0 A/F ratio... Maybe he was hung over that day? :dunno:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
avp23;1030656 said:
well the same guy has tuned my car and many many supras before. i trust him, And thats the only dynojet around. so i kinda gotta go there. theres no one else that can dyno there. :p

I think that you should go back to the dyno, drop the fuel pressure, maybe add some fuel with the SAFC in some places to compensate for the drop in fuel pressure. View your results. Then say to him "now why couldn't you do that?" ;)

lol I'm just say you've got a lot left in your current setup at the same boost level.

Really you should take care of this issue because it's not good for you car to be running that rich, especially when the 7M can be somewhat inclinded to rod bearing failures from the get-go. Unburn fuel in the oil can't help.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
^ exactly what he said, either back off the cps two-three degrees or drop fuel pressure to compensate for the injector duty cycle(timing). With that much power, tuning would be a breeze with emanage blue/ultimate. You could probably break 400hp just by leaning it out to 11.5-12 and get your timing on the money, or you could be a dyno whore and bring some bags of ice... just a thought.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
going through the exact problem in another thread, the tuners arent dropping the timing back enough and also the fuel pressure and are then stuck doing rich tunes for fear of detonation.Yes it still will ping even pig rich if the timing is way too far advanced(apparently).

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I wouldn't recommend messing with the base timing (CPS), it will make your car run terribly. By dropping the fuel pressure and compensating with the SAFC he should still be able to get out of the 'ping' zone.

As wiseco7mgt touched on, yes it will ping rich if too far advanced, but it can also ping from timing being too retarded. This will put all the heat in the turbo and IMHO can be just as bad as ignition timing being too advanced.