My 2jzge-t swap

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
looks like it could use a turbo blanket and a whole lot of header wrap on the charge pipes with the hot side being so close.

BTW, how much horsepower does the vitamin water add?

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
::update::
i found an oil leak on the oil return line, i'm working on fixing that right now. since i didnt have my timing light last night i just kinda did it by ear, and i didnt mash on it. i checked it today. hahahahhaha, it was 5 degrees after tdc. that's awesome, and it still felt this good. no wonder my safc kept registering nothing. so, obviously timing will be set, and i'm getting rid of that last oil leak. then maybe in a week or two exhaust will be going on. but for now open downpipe like a g :evil2:

Grimsta;1192716 said:
Looks good man.
So you're running the 7M electronics, but you have no MAF sensor, which indicates you're not completely using the 7M electronics. What engine management are you running and you're using a MAP sensor right?

i just have a hks vpc with a 550cc chip, and safc2... so far its running REAL smooth.

huntin5L;1192800 said:
It only took you two or three weeks LOL

well, i only made the thread after parts started to come in, because i didnt want it to sound/look like a dream project.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
here are some videos, the first one is a cold start video. i probably put like 20 or 30 miles on the car since the swap when i shot this. so, its not really a surprise that it didnt start on the first crank. now, things are a lot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMW-QHkkBeY

then this video is a 60-120mph pull video at 7psi and 5degrees of base timing. this thing feels pretty good for such little boost, naturally, i plan to double this amount of boost for daily driving :icon_bigg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_-7DbiC2yQ

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
congrats. You did a great job on this swap. It should be really strong once you up the boost and get it tuned properly.

Vert, he can't sell it to you in this thread even if he has it. Take it to PM or a moderator will be forced to give an infraction to Juhanis, and that's not what I want to happen. Thanks.

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
BorHor;1193360 said:
FINALLY!!! Too bad you didn't finish in time for the meet :(

i know... i was trying to, but i really didnt know the amount of work that goes into something like this. i'll be ready for the next meet. i'm just trying to fix the 2 stupid oil leaks.

vert88;1193476 said:
hey do you still have that ffim for the 7m and if you do will you sell it?

pm me, i still have it.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Wait, to get this straight you didnt replace the pistons?

And your mounts, where'd you get them from? I need new 7M mounts and dont want another stock rubber one that will tear

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
yeah, i dont think i'll need to change the pistons especially with this turbo, its only good for like 500 to the wheels. however, i do plan to eventually put a thicker head gasket in. the only thing i did to it thus far is take off the valve covers and the oil pan. this thing seems to be in perfect condition, if there is blowby coming out of the breathers i cant detect any. i'm at 60psi of oil pressure at 3k rpm, no smoke ever, no smoke on decel in gear, its so smooth it almost doesnt even sound like its on at idle (after it warms up). and one of my favorites i start sounding like a mk4 at above 3k rpm. i should have done this years ago instead of wasting my time with all those 7m's.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
I say pistons because the NA had higher compression than the turbo so higher compression with more boost leads to more problems. Plus without oil squirters forged pistons would be a good idea. Thats just what I'm doing to my GE since its going to be a road race engine. To compensate a little for the lack of squirters I'm putting in forged pistons for a GTE, but during the machining we'll probably be tapping the block and installing squirters and higher flowing oil pump anyways. Keep in mind I'm not going for crazy high HP either because of my NASA class's restrictions, but I will be shooting for 605whp which is a little more than you.

Now how about those mounts? Where'd you get em from?

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
Grimsta;1193918 said:
I say pistons because the NA had higher compression than the turbo so higher compression with more boost leads to more problems. Plus without oil squirters forged pistons would be a good idea. Thats just what I'm doing to my GE since its going to be a road race engine. To compensate a little for the lack of squirters I'm putting in forged pistons for a GTE, but during the machining we'll probably be tapping the block and installing squirters and higher flowing oil pump anyways. Keep in mind I'm not going for crazy high HP either because of my NASA class's restrictions, but I will be shooting for 605whp which is a little more than you.

Now how about those mounts? Where'd you get em from?

oh yeah, the mounts, i got them on ebay. search for ultra mounts. there have been quite a few people making over 600hp to the wheels on stock ge internals. my way of dealing with the higher compression for now is methanol and retarded timing. i plan to run about 14psi or so when i get this thing all figured out.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
/\/\ True, but once again I'm talking about road racing. Thats prolonged periods of high revving and boost. Thanks for the mount info, hopefully they got some 7M ones as well because i'm still running my 7M at the moment

juhanis

2jza70
Jan 11, 2006
Los Gatos, California
Grimsta;1194468 said:
/\/\ True, but once again I'm talking about road racing. Thats prolonged periods of high revving and boost. Thanks for the mount info, hopefully they got some 7M ones as well because i'm still running my 7M at the moment

yeah, that's true... when you're road racing there's way way more heat being generated due to the constant full throttle action. i used to have a miata, and almost everyone road raced those things. they had to invest a lot in cooling. the mounts are 7m ones, the upper brackets are just jza70 brackets (but i know you dont need those)

dok33;1194482 said:
Woot! Nice work! Yours cold starts alot better than mine, E85 makes it even worse on cold mornings.

thank you sir, that video was a crappy cold start. it starts on like the 2nd crank now... haha. i'm currently in the stage of getting the afr's dialed in at 7psi, after i do, i'm gonna go down to 3 degrees of base timing, re install my methanol, and go up to 10psi or so. that's if the car doesnt kill me with the traction loss at 7.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
juhanis;1194656 said:
thank you sir, that video was a crappy cold start. it starts on like the 2nd crank now... haha. i'm currently in the stage of getting the afr's dialed in at 7psi, after i do, i'm gonna go down to 3 degrees of base timing, re install my methanol, and go up to 10psi or so. that's if the car doesnt kill me with the traction loss at 7.

3 deg of base timing, as in with a timing light, by adjusting the CPS??