My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
da89soup;1179370 said:
Ken I will assist with both male and female points of view to this picture.

Male-

Sweet Ken I am glad to see it coming together. That is one fancy ass trans stand you have next to your car. Looks like you didnt have all the fluid out of the trans when you pulled the motor. I feal your pain, it seems like you can never get all of that out and you always have some leak out everytime you pull an engine. Wow the cylinders and the deck look great. LOL at your Texaco antifreeze!! Its great to have extra antifreeze around since you do own a 7M supra.:sarcasm: Looks like the machine shop gave you a handy box to keep your head in. I really hate when you get things back from the machine shop and all they give you is your parts in a stupid bag.

Female-

Ken you Dumbass!! We are trying to sell this god damn house and you have you stupid ass car in the driveway with no motor and some stupid part of the car still sitting next to it in the driveway. Cant you at least bring that inside so the neighbors do think we live in Alabama. And whats with that red looking fliud all over the ground in our driveway. That had better come clean you know we are trying to sell this house right. Dont even get me started on the garage!! Why is it never clean?? Ah screw it I cant handle it anymore. And dont think you are getting any tonight cause your not until you get all your Supra crap cleaned up and get serious about our future.

:biglaugh:
Oh, that's funny!:yelrotflm

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
yea.... when i find internet for my laptop ill have pics up. until then im just full of crap lol! i need to go over to my gf's and use her internet!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Question. Is there some kind of dowel pin on the cam to help line up the cam gear? I can't remember. Do you just line up the three little holes and tighten down the bolt?

I got the head on and torqued down. I misread the torque wrench and accidentally torqued the ARP bolts down to about 80 lbs. Is that going to be a problem???

I got the intake, fuel rail and injectors put on. Tomorrow if I have time I'll start laying the wiring harness down and plug stuff in.

One of the bolt holes in the head for the exhaust stripped out so I went and bought a tap kit. I'll tackle that later too.

I really don't see my goal of driving this down to Houston on the 20th being accomplished. Not enough time...for me anyways.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
gtsfirefighter;1180977 said:
They're bolts not studs. I'm sure it's still fine but I can't help but be paranoid.

ARP says 75ft lbs for bolts and mine are torqued to 76ft lb (o noez) it shouldnt be a problem Ken.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
gtsfirefighter;1180514 said:
Question. Is there some kind of dowel pin on the cam to help line up the cam gear?

Yes there is. It goes in the middle hole of the cam and the only hole on the gear.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Justin;1181231 said:
Yes there is. It goes in the middle hole of the cam and the only hole on the gear.

Well I got lucky and in a box of Supra crap, I found a cam gear with one of the dowel pins so I got that taken care of.

I made a lot of progress today. I got the exhaust manifold, turbo, wiring harness, intake, egr and vacuum lines connected. I need to order an o ring for the cps before I put that in. After that it's pretty much ready to mate back up with the tranny and then stab it in the car.
Scott, any luck with those bolts or should I just order some from Toyota tomorrow?

It looks like an engine again. New accordian pipe ftmfw! I keep the chain on it in case of a catastrophic engine stand failure. I would really hate to show up there one day with it on the ground all f'ed up.

p1181361_1.jpg

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Ken, I'm SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not yet found you those bolts. I'd probably be guessing, so new might be the way, if they aren't too expensive. I'm planning on doing at least a little bit to my car tonight, so I can find them then, if you still want me to.

Good to see the motor looking like a motor again. Did you have the cam gear backing plate machined with the head, like has been stated here many a times? What is that in your plug valley? Glad to see you have it close to the beer cooler.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
ForcedTorque;1181513 said:
Ken, I'm SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not yet found you those bolts. I'd probably be guessing, so new might be the way, if they aren't too expensive. I'm planning on doing at least a little bit to my car tonight, so I can find them then, if you still want me to.

Good to see the motor looking like a motor again. Did you have the cam gear backing plate machined with the head, like has been stated here many a times? What is that in your plug valley? Glad to see you have it close to the beer cooler.

I checked on ordering the bolts and it would take at least 10 business days so yeah, if you have a chance to get those to me that would be great. Meanwhile, I go through my bucket of bolts to see if any will work. I'm working today and will check into that tomorrow maybe.

I did order the cps o-ring and it should be here tomorrow. Once I get that in I can mate the tranny it prep for install.
I don't think you machine the backing plate. Maybe you're thinking of the timing cover getting machined with the block maybe???

Just a vacuum line and sparkplug wire guide in the plug valley.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Looking good Ken. The twentieth might be pushing it, but if not by then, it won't be much longer. Good luck.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
I got a late start today and was not able to accomplish all I sat out to do. But, I did get a lot done.

The engine is all together. All the hoses, tubing, belts, coil pack, coil pack cover, 3000 tube, cps installed. It just basically needs the tranny attached and it's ready to go back in. I'll try that tomorrow.

Question regarding the cps. I inserted it per the tsrm. I aligned the dot with the mark and pushed it in with the engine at TDC. Now, just making sure to make myself feel better, but it is normal for the gear to advance a little while pushing it in right???

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, as the gears are helical cut. How did it look under the cover? I never even took the cover off mine and I stabbed it in right the first time, so never really understand why people have issues with it...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Poodles;1182902 said:
Yep, as the gears are helical cut. How did it look under the cover? I never even took the cover off mine and I stabbed it in right the first time, so never really understand why people have issues with it...

I stabbed it in without the cover since I was putting a new one on. I watched it advance a little as I pushed it in. I think it'll be fine. It got a new o-ring before putting it in also. The old one just broke off it was so hard and brittle. It amazes me how the old seals and hoses become hard as a rock. Heat.