Mustang guy bought a MKIII

mustnggt619

Feb 4, 2010
cheyenne, wy
Whats up guys?

Well Ive wanted a supra since i was a kid but My Dad had a mustang and my cousin had a stang ect ect so thats what i ended up building and still have it. I found a deal on an 88 black on grey targa turbo 5 spd so i bought it. Overall the cars is pretty solid but its half tore down. The car has been setting for 5 years becuase of a "stripped keyway on the crankshaft". The motor turns over easy by hand. It is missing some parts like the turbo and radiator and needs alot of work and cleaning but the body is straight suspension all looks to be in good shape. The cylinder walls look ok thru the bore scope but i will be removing the head and oil pan to inspect the motor further. The chasis has 137k on it and only 1 spot of rust on the drivers side quarter panel and a few dings. The targa top has bondo on it though but wont know how bad it is till i have time to strip it. The tires that were on it wouldnt even hold air to roll the car around so i bolted a set of 02 cobra wheels i had laying aroud on it. Only paid 500 for the car with a clean title so i think i got a pretty good deal. Ive got the car at work (i work at a honda dealership lol) so ill try to get some pics so i can post em up.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Hint, research and if you can build the head yourself. Only send to pressure test, mill and a hardness test. Changing valve seals and lapping the valves yourself will do you good and check your clearances because you don't want to have a noisey engine.

I would recommend doing a budget rebuild. New NPR pistons from DriftMotion with rings are $120.00. A decent budget rebuild should cost anywhere $1000.00 to $1,500.00. One last thing, if you fix something and it is bothering your about how well it will work, chances are you did not do a good job. Do it right the first time, less time and money.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
hey welcome...funny cause my friend has a 90 5.0 5spd and hes talking about getting a supra once he sells his mustang..i think its something to do with the turbo spooling...haha

mustnggt619

Feb 4, 2010
cheyenne, wy
My mustang has been a good car. High 11 second car at bandimere and can still drive it to work everyday. Just always loved the supras and dont have time to go drag racing anymore so time to sell the stang and move on.

suprachick22

Aug 1, 2009
colorado
welcome to the addiction! Sounds like you got a good project. as for budget its probably going to take a little more then $1500, could be wrong but i doubt it. cant wait to see some pics!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Welcome to the world of luxury... Supras have always had more features than domestic sports cars. Hell, my brother-in-law's 2000 Camaro SS still doesn't have automatic climate control, and that's been in Supras since at least '82.

On the other hand, *everything* costs more for Supras. Expect to pay about double what it would cost for Mustang bits. Sad but true, it's much cheaper to build a domestic.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Kevin;1508187 said:
lol posted 3x

welcome. u should build a stang killer

yeah, I think it's a bug in the new system, if you hit the "must wait 30 seconds to post" message, your message will go through, but you won't be notified..

mustnggt619

Feb 4, 2010
cheyenne, wy
Thanks guys. Ive always been a ford man and always will be but i enjoy other makes and models too. If and when i get my mustang sold then the mk3 will become my toy but until then i want a fun sporty and reliable car. Yeah so far it looks like im gunna have about 2g into it to get it going unless i run into more problems lol.