Must-have tools for MK3 maintenance / repairs / upgrades?

manofanhour

May 12, 2009
Dallas
I'd say a good camera for before/during/after and "hey what's this. and where does it go?" Pics. If you might need help this will ne a usefull tool in itself. I have helping people when the picture was taken with a cell.

swordofdoom

Jan 6, 2007
Arkansas
Impact gun. 650lbs-ft-Tq, Engine Hoist, 2-4 ton jack, your basic metric tools, some pliers and a Shoe. Yeah a shoe! I actually my NewBalance shoe when I'm needing to jack up the engine to put in a motor mount or change something on FWD cars. Helps cushion the engine against the metal jack.
You best place to shop is Harbour Freight.

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
swordofdoom;1735268 said:
Impact gun. 650lbs-ft-Tq, Engine Hoist, 2-4 ton jack, your basic metric tools, some pliers and a Shoe. Yeah a shoe! I actually my NewBalance shoe when I'm needing to jack up the engine to put in a motor mount or change something on FWD cars. Helps cushion the engine against the metal jack.
You best place to shop is Harbour Freight.

you can get new balance shoes at harbour freight?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I'm really surprised nobody suggested a digital multimeter yet! (or maybe they did and I missed it)

That's the first thing I'd get, I'd be lost without mine. If you have some cash to spend get a really good one with graphing and waveform capabilities, like a Snap On Vantage. It even has tutorials in there to tell you how to test all your sensors and how to use the tool properly. Works on lots of cars too, not just supras. You can buy them used for about $200+ on ebay (depending on the firmware version and accessories)... which is alot... but it's worth every penny.

vantage.jpg

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Poodles;1735390 said:
I don't have an impact gun, and I do just fine ;)

Yes, but you have to admit that if you do have it, it makes some things a hell of a lot easier. But yes, I too did survive without air tools and without many issues for the majority of my MK3 repairs. You just got to get yourself a "RIF" (resistance is futile!) tube to slip over your ratchet ;)

HighlandsSupra

Sep 1, 2010
Sky Valley, GA
27 mm socket to remove the stock oil filter/oil cooler adapter (when doing a full flow oil system) from the turbo engine, and a 24 mm socket to replace the NA filter stud. I bought both at Advanced Auto for less than $15.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
radiod;1735439 said:
Yes, but you have to admit that if you do have it, it makes some things a hell of a lot easier. But yes, I too did survive without air tools and without many issues for the majority of my MK3 repairs. You just got to get yourself a "RIF" (resistance is futile!) tube to slip over your ratchet ;)

I've seen too many things broken with airtools. Go to a good mechanic that works on seriously expensive and rare cars, and you won't find an impact anywhere.

MD_Co

Jun 6, 2011
North Carolina
Pokey2301;1735274 said:
Impact gun. 650lbs-ft-Tq

I think they're tremendously useful in the correct application, however, why in the world would you need 650 ft-lbs of torque? You do realize how much that is, right?

Destrux, I completely agree with the multimeter comment. They're really useful. I scored a great one from ebay for relatively cheap.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've got a pair of impact guns, they are attached to the hands that are typing this right now. :rofl:

That said, about the only thing I can see even needing anything more than a 1/2" ratchet on is the crank pulley on a JZ... not sure what the 7m crank bolt is torqued to, but the JZ one is on there pretty good.