Mushy Brake Pedal

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
So I just got done replacing all 4 calipers and put on stainless brake lines. So my problem is that I bled the front brakes no problem no more air. When I went to do the rears it took a long time to get a steady stream of fluid to come out because the proportioning valve was stuck shut so I pumped the shit out of it and it finally opened. I spent like 20 minutes bleeding the rear brakes and I still can't get all the air out of the system. It still sounds like there is air in the lines up by the master cylinder. I don't have any leaks anywhere. So I'm wondering if any of you guys have had this problem and what you did to correct it? The weird thing is if the master cylinder was bad the front brakes would have had air in the lines consistently too. Just to mention too that before I replaced all the brakes my brake pedal was fine. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Bleed the passanger rear, then the drivers side rear, then the passanger front, then the drivers side front. Should fix it. Sometimes really old master cylinders die while bleeding brakes but is unlikely.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have ABS you should go driver rear, passenger rear, driver front, passenger front, using the ABS box as your reference point for bleeding. Also inspect your soft brake lines, make sure they're in good condition. I had to replace mine due to some on/off seizing problems on front calipers and they looked like junk when I took them off. Putting the new ones on made a world of a difference with the brake pedal pressure.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
I said that I put new soft lines on, I replaced them with braided stainless ones. As for the bleeding procedure I started on the driver rear then went passenger rear then I moved up front but that still didn't seem to help. I'm going to try again in a day or two. Because I was just thinking that when i pumped the brakes up a bunch to get the proportioning valve to open that airrates the brake fluid so maybe after letting it sit a few days the air will just be a bubble again and might come out now.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Sorry, read through your first post too quickly it seems. Wouldn't hurt to let it sit and try again, that's for sure. Beyond that there's no more that I can really suggest, hopefully someone else will chime in.

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
You have to bleed the wheel furthest away from your fluid resevior, Passenger Rear FIRST! Driver rear next, Passenger front and then driver front.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
laotionracer101;1686131 said:
You have to bleed the wheel furthest away from your fluid resevior, Passenger Rear FIRST! Driver rear next, Passenger front and then driver front.

wrong, you bleed furthest from abs block. DRIVERS SIDE REAR, then pass rear, etc etc