morganson's COP S-Type setup

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Nuffboost87;2009209 said:
.....OK...So bear with me..I have a couple of questions. What are you referring to as 'dummy coils'? Since this setup was designed in mind for the factory igniter is there any suggestion or has anyone figured out exactly what igniter to use with a standalone? Prior to seeing this set-up I was going to run the IS300 setup, foremost because the multiplex ignition issue is preventing me from getting a proper tune. Idle at time jumps all over the place. I actually have everything for that setup, but then I came across the 1ZZ setup and thought I was in love plus it elimnates the need for an igniter. This set-up however looks even better to me but I need to be practical. I know we all love this set-up but I need a few folks to try and give me their honest unbiased opinion on which set-up would be better for my application. Again, I'm running the AEM, FFIM and a T66 Turbo, 750 cc injectors ect. Also if I did run this setup I would go with aftermarket coils, is there a size I should get. Otherwise I would run the DG500 coils to start and just work my way up but I dont want to spend anymore than I need to.

'Smart coils' have the igniter built in, like the 1ZZ coils while 'dumb coils' do not.

If what sheedy126 is saying is true, this DG500 setup will cause spark blowout around 15 psi. This isn't actually the fault of the coil, but the igniter isn't providing the correct charging time for the coils. So, while this setup looks amazing, it isn't the right choice for a high hp build like yours. If I were you I would sooner go with the 1ZZ setup.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Im getting untangled here with some work and curious if there is still interest in these so I can get a count and an estimated time frame for getting them done.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Whats your time frame? I have interest in one more but at the price point Im at I need to make like 6 or more

If the price was slightly higher for a single plate would that be OK?

RiyadYar

Supramania Contributor
Nov 20, 2007
NY
im okay with that . let me know the paypal info.just curious would you be able to cut slots like supraguy@aol did into the plate i would like to run my wires under the plate for a tucked look. i can modify the drawing file if you have the .dxf file or dwg. thanks

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
This setup is amazing for a stock turbo setup, or even a big turbo running lower boost levels.

From what I've read and understood the stock igniter couldn't charge the dg500 coils enough at higher boost levels. I was working on running the ds61 upgraded igniter but gave up shortly after

Iirc there's a plug and play ds61 igniter for sale for who may want to try it with this setup and see if you can get more boost

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
So what's the current report on people running this? Anyone having major issues? I have yet to install my setup, got bigger fish to fry right now lol.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
The only complaint I have heard so far is a breakup at 15+ psi. However this is a problem with the ignitor not the coil setup. I have a customer that is going to be running with an hks dli so I will keep tabs on that. I have figured out how to use a msd dis 4 (in theory) to run wasted spark but its more expensive than the hks unit. As for the two units I have both are still running without a problem at 14psi one on a ct26-57 the other on a built t4 setup with hks intake.