more snake oil - experts debunk

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
https://secure.cermatechnology.com/nav/prods/gas.html

so not that Im in anyway interested in this product, but I always love to hear the technical mumbo jumbo that explains why this shit doesnt work. Lets see I guess this is oil so thats J-dub? Any discussion on this new snake oil on your oil-geek forums? (thats not an insult, I think you oil geeks are cool ;))

I always thought the problem with "stuff" in oil that is supposedly going to adhere to your engines surfaces is that what to stop it from just washing away. Is that wrong? Anyway, I was browsing Craigslist and came across it sooo....

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Well, there's no way it can prevent varnish/sludge...these are usually caused by a bad PCV system and a hot motor. Reducing emissions is another claim that's out in la-la land...notice they did not name any of the "independent laboratories" used to support their claims, a dead give away. And how it could possibly reduce harmonic vibration is a fantastic claim...their explanation of how it does that doesn't jive with the way harmonics in a motor are produced...I thought that's why you balanced the crank and used a harmonic dampener ;)

These claims make me suspicious right off the bat. Plus, they say:

Cermax is 100 % solids acquires a glass finish in use, and will be embedded into the metal approximately 0.002mm. Cermax is a material that contains no solvents or PTFEs.

The problem with solids in suspension (like Teflon and non-soluble moly) is they will get caught by the oil filter. Some to the point were the filter clogs up and causes it to go into bypass. This will likely not be a problem with Cermax due to the very small amount (2 oz) used, but it will have to be soluble or less than 10 microns in size to get past the filter.

Pete - I think you are correct...looks like snake oil to me ;)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
jdub said:
The problem with solids in suspension (like Teflon and non-soluble moly) is they will get caught by the oil filter. Some to the point were the filter clogs up and causes it to go into bypass. This will likely not be a problem with Cermax due to the very small amount (2 oz) used, but it will have to be soluble or less than 10 microns in size to get past the filter.

hmm that actually never occured to me but since you mention it it makes perfect sense.

there was that similiar thread the other day and I just loved the comments, but I guess my next question is: SO who are the people that buy this stuff? Seems to me anyone looking for car repair in can shouldnt be in the auto parts store (or shopping for products online for that matter) in the first place. I mean I think of people like my dad, who is a trusting soul I must say, but when his car has a problem he takes it to the dealer. I dont even think he puts his own oil in anymore.

But who? arent most "car guys" savvy enough to know better? I mean I guess some people try em, but...man I dont know I guess I just have a hard time understanding who would buy it.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
theWeezL said:
But who? arent most "car guys" savvy enough to know better? I mean I guess some people try em, but...man I dont know I guess I just have a hard time understanding who would buy it.

There are actually a few different sub groups of "car guys". The ones that usually go for this stuff are the very impressionable ones. You will constantly find them in Autozone shopping on the "plastic-chrome" isle. Their knowledge is very limited on most things mechanical. IE, they know where to put the fuel, oil and keys. Sometimes they even know what an alternator looks like. This group of people will usually jump for every $5-50 mod in a package in Autozone. I have personally witnessed this group of people spend thousands of dollars on tires/wheels and leave oil/antifreeze spots on the ground while the check engine light was flashing on the instrument panel.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
theWeezL said:
hmm that actually never occured to me but since you mention it it makes perfect sense.

there was that similiar thread the other day and I just loved the comments, but I guess my next question is: SO who are the people that buy this stuff? Seems to me anyone looking for car repair in can shouldnt be in the auto parts store (or shopping for products online for that matter) in the first place. I mean I think of people like my dad, who is a trusting soul I must say, but when his car has a problem he takes it to the dealer. I dont even think he puts his own oil in anymore.

Alot of people buy them, people like my mom and sister. They have a strange problem with the car suddenly and think they should save money and try a bottle of stuff. They see a whole rack full of different types at reputable places and think it must work.

westonboege

May 25, 2005
providence RI
hahahhaha snake sphinter.... good one..

We should try and come up with our own brand of snake oil... just make a website and see how many people call

Ill start brainstorming ....