MK4 Steering Wheel on a MK3

HeWhoOvercomes

Vrooom VROOOM
Apr 23, 2011
The Corner of Happy & Healthy
Hi SupraMania!

I understand how unappreciated over-asked questions are, but I used the search function and could not find an answer. Is there a way to fit a MK4 steering wheel to the column of a MK3 and, with the necessary wiring modifications, have the cruise control still work? What I am really after is steering wheel setup with the cruise control arm behind the wheel, like virtually all modern Toyotas, rather that on the wheel itself. That being said, a 91-92 wheel would suffice, though I like MK4 look better. Note: I have an 86.5 N/A.

This is the video that got the idea rolling in my head. (As you can see, I've already asked the question in the video comments, but I'm looking for more details.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEygihGYDag&feature=related

Thanks!
-OdysseusOnWheels

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
i've seen it done. I don't know if they actually had the cruise control hooked up. it shouldn't be to hard. I personally like the 90-92 steering wheel better.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Easy way to know if the hub splines are the same or not is to look up a hub kit for a racing wheel and see if the MKIV uses the same hub kit as a MKIII. If not then the swap won't be a bolt on deal.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Hubs splines are the same.

90-92 have the cruise stalk. It's easily possible just need to wire it up right.

zdaeng

KL
Oct 5, 2006
Malaysia
PureDrifter;1794121 said:
if the splines are the same then why do most hub adapters list separate part numbers for mkiv and mkiiis? at least NRG does last i checked.

I bought NRG hub adapter and also quick release steering. The compatible list for this does not include Supra MK4.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
i am currently looking into this as i have a 92.

from what i have found out first hand is..... 90-92 WITH AIRBAG are NOT the same hub splines as the 89+ three spoke wheels. the airbag wheels have smaller diameter splines. i know this for a fact for when i got my 92 it had no wheel on it...so i tried to put a spare 89 on it and it would not fit.

i do not however know if a mkiv wheel will fit. ive heard rumors they do....but havent confermed this as of yet.

TheMayan

Sep 19, 2012
North Texas
I prefer and currently have the Celica Gt-s steering wheel. It bolts right up and for those of us who have airbags there is a connection adapter so you can keep the airbag (a plus for some), and I'm not completely sure but I think you can also get cruise control set up with it as well :icon_bigg