mk4 brakes to mk3

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's generally not done as they're not bolt on (requires an adapter bracket and centering rings) and they're very expensive compared to other options.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I explored this option at one time and still have the set of four here. Adapters are needed. But unless you happen to have a set for some reason or another the cost of getting them is SCARY!

They are some really big damn brakes though........I mean really BIG!

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Re-mans are $70-100 a piece for the fronts. I've hear of toyota doing remanneds as well but I dont know the cost.

Is a bracket and a hub ring all that would be needed?

What about the wheel stud holes? same pattern on the rotors mk4-mk3?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IIRC the braket and hub ring are the biggest concerns. I also believe that the inside of the fronts around the hub has to be spun on a lathe and made .5mm larger. It's been a very long time though so don't do it without verifying that figure.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I haven't personally seen mustang brakes, but I doubt they are larger or thicker than the MKIV brakes. Could be wrong of course, but these brakes are "re-donkulously" huge, calipers are big fatties too. Which of course both of which translates to heavy as hell also.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
laotionracer101;1658986 said:
why not do mustang brakes? :naughty:

Or wilwoods, which are better.

Flateric;1658990 said:
I haven't personally seen mustang brakes, but I doubt they are larger or thicker than the MKIV brakes. Could be wrong of course, but these brakes are "re-donkulously" huge, calipers are big fatties too. Which of course both of which translates to heavy as hell also.

Hence the wilwoods. Same price and the wilwoods are lighter and arguably more modern. Not saying the MKIV brakes are bad, they were the best brakes in their class back then (beating out Porsche, etc)

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
OP: There is a member named mytmk3. He did the MKIV TT front brake conversion. MYTMK3 bought an MKIV "kit" that included a modified hub. No brackets/adapters were used.

Why don't you contact mytmk3?

The components mytmk3 used.
p1659035_1.jpg

p1659035_2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Those really do not look like the disc's from the front of a MKIV to me........Rears maybe.

That's it then, I gotta dig out a front disc here to know for sure.

Will report back with pics in a bit here. (Provided they are not out in my shed which is buried in a snow drift and un-reachable currently)

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Flateric;1659078 said:
Those really do not look like the disc's from the front of a MKIV to me........Rears maybe.

It seems obvious in the pictures. The left caliper on the first pic is the caliper that is installed on the 2nd pic. I doubt that he installed rear rotors with front calipers. :dunno:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Poodles;1659121 said:
So far as I know, yes you can bolt up the MKIV hubs, but they move the wheel's position in a non-ideal way.

Yeah, moves the whole wheel further toward the back of the wheel well, thus reducing caster I believe.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Just a thought, kind of off topic. I have a 2nd gen ls400 with 4 pots front, and are close to the same size as the TTs ( there have been threads on other forums of using TT pads on the LS400 calipers) and have always wondered, how come no one on the forum has thought about using these brakes on our car.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Or make your own willwood kit using universal rotors and calipers and just have a bracket made for them to bolt up.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hvyman;1659209 said:
Or make your own willwood kit using universal rotors and calipers and just have a bracket made for them to bolt up.

Or buy it from someone that supports our community and stand by his product...

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
You guys have offered good alternatives to the MKIV TT brakes; however, the OP requested a link to thread about installation front 4 pot brakes from Supra Mk4 to Supra Mk3.

OP: The solution is to contact mytmk3 who has actually installed the MKIV TT brakes.