Mk3 supra seat question

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Hey guys, I've been through the ringer with my supra, but with time things have finally come together. With that being said, I'm now at the point where I am ready to get my seats re-covered. My question isn't what I would think is typical, but how many yards of material would it take to re-cover the front and rear seats? Through a little research I've gathered that I would need 3.5 to 4 yards per seat for the front . I am not sure about the rear seat however. I'm trying to get an idea of the total yardage required. Can anyone shed any light on this?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Unless you're an upholstery expert I'd let a pro handle the actual covers. Leatherseats.com and such do great kits. I can't imagine a homemade skin looking decent enough to justify the labor required to do one from scratch. I'm a huge DIY guy, but I draw the line at some point. Engine rebuild? Sure. Paint prep? sure. Reupholstering? No.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I'm not covering it myself. There is a specific material that I am wanting my upholster to use. So I am just trying to get an idea of how many yards you guys think it would take.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
I think that's a question you should personally ask your upholster and then post the answer here.
I completely agree with suprarx7nut's comment
Unless you're an upholstery expert I'd let a pro handle the actual covers
(and that goes for measurements and material selection as well. Just discuss it with your upholster pinpointing exactly what you want/expect. If you don't trust or are skeptical about your upholster recommendations and abilities, I suggest you find someone else. Ask fellow forum members for workmanship recommendations. I'm pretty sure that more than one has re-done theirs beloved seats).

Last edited:

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I was talking about leather seats the other day with a interior guy the other day. For leather he said you need two hides to do front and rear seats, door inserts, parking brake cover and center console lid

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
It's not about a lack of trust with the upholster at all. I just like knowing what goes into my vehicle is all. I'm not questioning if a professional should do it or not. This is simply for documentation purposes. With that being said, I did find some interesting information just visiting the upholstry forums. For bucket seats you can expect 4 yards of material per seat. For rear bench style seating typically 5 years is needed. So for an interior re-upholstry a safe number to go with is between seems to be 14 and 15 yard of total material.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Sometime down the road, I will be re-doing my seats as well (once all mechanical/tech updates are done) and I have been researching about it. If you've seen Westcoast Customs and/or Overhauling shows, sometimes they will buy the kit from a company called "Roadwire". They custom make your seats for a fixed price ($1,119.00 two tone for the MK3) and you will have to use your upholster to install it. They also sell the raw material.
http://roadwire.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.321136/.f

Another place for raw material would be Keystone.
http://www.keystonbros.com/subcategory-listing-page?cat_id=243704&grand_id=9292

Both of these will send you a sample upon request. What do you have in mind as far as design goes?

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
I believe this is a valid question. It's not so much diy as it is about finding competitive material pricing and following your dollar. I know that in terms of leather it will take 1 hide to cover 1 seat. Depending on the animal the hide came from a hide can be 50-60 sq.ft (http://www.keleenleathers.com/pages/hide_diagram/50.php). In terms of yards, this is approximately 3 yards of 54" fabric (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/leatherguide/leatherguide.aspx). Off of this data, 9 yards is the minimum I would say. I believe a safe amount would be 12 - 15 yards or 54" (54" is a pretty standard length in the fabric world).

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Well the car is beige leather originally. So I want to go with the same light "camel colored beige. The material will have a Carrara patern. In the center of the seats I have opted to go with slightly darker suede. The suede complements the anthracite metallic I just had my car painted in. And will add a little depth. I'm not going to add so much suede where the car looks gaugty however. I will post picks of material choices.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I believe I could recover front and back seats with approximately 5-7 yards depending on the material and if it has a nap (direction of fiber). The last seats I recovered were in a 69 Mustang (looking time ago) and I did it with 7 yards (full back, short buckets) if I recall correctly. My 80 Celica only took 5 yards, in Draylon.
9 yards did the complete interior (headliner as well).

All this on a very old brain... Lol.
The mustang killed my sewing machine. It's never stitched properly since then which is why it was my last one.