MK3 Removing 1987 7M-GE Auto

toyota.s

Nov 2, 2022
Hello Everybody,

I'm at the point of my journey where the 7M-GE is ready to come out, Harness, hoses, and any other lines are all disconnected. I'm working in a home garage so work space in tight and uncomfortable. Should I leave the transmission connected to the engine when removing it? The top bell housing bolts are a pain to get to, just wondering if I can pull it out as one. I almost attempted to remove the torque converter bolts out but figured I should ask on here for any tips. Should I use the multiple extension and tacle it from behind?

Last edited:

trofimovich

Jun 29, 2012
Russia
The top bolts are easily unscrewed from under the hood. The torque converter must be unscrewed from the flywheel and left in the box!
If the torque converter is left screwed to the flywheel and the engine is pulled out with it, then the oil seal in the automatic transmission can be damaged.
You can pull out the motor along with the automatic transmission, but then you will have to close the outlet under the propeller shaft in the automatic transmission, since oil will flow out of it and a lot.
There are many options, you choose.

Reactions: toyota.s

toyota.s

Nov 2, 2022
The top bolts are easily unscrewed from under the hood. The torque converter must be unscrewed from the flywheel and left in the box!
If the torque converter is left screwed to the flywheel and the engine is pulled out with it, then the oil seal in the automatic transmission can be damaged.
You can pull out the motor along with the automatic transmission, but then you will have to close the outlet under the propeller shaft in the automatic transmission, since oil will flow out of it and a lot.
There are many options, you choose.
All great information. I plan on taking the engine out with the transmission attached. I attempted to remove the torque converter bolts from the flywheel but there is a gasket that is bolted between the engine and bell housing. And it looks like it goes all the way around, I could hardly get a ratchet in on the side bell housing bolts especially where the starter is. Should Just do a cut out on the gasket at the bottom of bell housing so I can access the torque converter bolts?

Last edited:

trofimovich

Jun 29, 2012
Russia
To remove the bottom cover, just unscrew the bottom side stops.Then the lower crescent will be removed.
It consists of two parts.

Attachments

• Снимокbvwrnegdngdfgmf.JPG
    Снимокbvwrnegdngdfgmf.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: toyota.s