mk3 4 a first car

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
mk3, sure.
modded mk3? fuck no. (ESPECIALLY if you're self-funded)

you can keep a stockish mk3 running on a reasonable budget, but you start making anything close to serious power you're going to start breaking more of your 20+year old car, PLUS you wont know what to do with it.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
What year's your galant? The guy worked on my car specializes in them.
and hey! I'm sixteen as well and yea maintaining a modded mk3 is like fathering a child.
But first things first.

-What you looking for in the car?
-What are you plans with it?
-Can you afford keeping it?
-Purpose?? -Daily? Track?

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
I would not suggest something as precious as an MKIII Supra as a first car. I have a primarily stock 88 Supra Turbo 5-speed as my second car and it still surprises me with how it'll just rip the tires right off the pavement when you step on that gas. I'm only running 250+rwhp and its still a lot to handle when you're not ready for it. For a first car I'd suggest a beater, something that you won't be scared to get in a wreck with because chances are its GOING to happen. Even if its not your fault. If you want something sporty and fun I'd go with a 5-speed Miata, maybe a Mazda mx-6 if you can find one, or hell a 5-speed Geo Storm GSI can look pretty sweet when lowered a bit lol.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Wildfire007;1732085 said:
hell a 5-speed Geo Storm GSI can look pretty sweet when lowered a bit lol.

Ouch.....

Well having read this it reminds me of Devin LeBlanc's video of him running down the track (12.7 pass on stock Turbo) but any how the announcer said his car looked like a ford probe be for he left the line lol.

So maybe you should buy a ford probe?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Any car you buy I warn you on the "A/C just needs to be recharged" line. Expect the worse. If it was as easy as getting it "recharged" then they would have done it before selling it.
You'll find yourself replacing the whole system before you get it fix. $$$.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Ya i agree with guys. If you really want a mk3 get a NA first. Im about to be 20 got my supra a year ago ( 5speed NA) and even in a NA its easy to slide the rear out. ive been in several situations were i could had a major accident but i was lucky. SO if your hard set on a mk3 get a NA upgrade the suspension a bit with the money u save and in time go turbo

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jessemkiiis;1731724 said:
great memories in that car and i would say im a much better mechanic because of it too.
I wouldn't have the tools or the mechanical knowledge I do (which is limited to mechanical, electrical is still voodoo to me) if not for my Toyotas. First being an old Corolla, and my 3 Supras over the years. ALL Supras will need work at some point, this is generally a fact.

supralover2;1731933 said:
would a n/a mk3 beat a mustang gt?
All depends on the driver and the stang's setup. I've embarrassed many a Mustang over the years, no big deal. That said, stock for stock, you'll lose. BUT... your car will always be classy, comfortable, and probably be worth more in the long run if you take care of it. Put it this way: Mustang might be faster, but I'm sure Ford has popped out more Mustangs in the last week than Toyota EVER produced the Supras...

slidebabyslide;1731956 said:
I think , you should wait and leave your options open. Do not shop on impulse.
VERY good advice here. I will say this: I'm *still* in debt over a car I bought on impulse, and this was from 4 years ago...

All that said, my recommendation is still Miata. Girly looking is about the worst anyone can say about them. Bang for the buck, you'll have a hard time finding a car that will be as fun. Not to mention, if you have any canyon roads nearby, once you learn to drive one quickly, not many things will be able to keep up in the twisties. ;)

Wildfire007

Dec 15, 2010
Cullman, Alabama, United States
Turbo Habanero;1732122 said:
Ouch...../QUOTE]

Lol Hey man my friend had a 91 Geo Storm GSI with a 5-speed and put some custom coilovers on that car with some sports tires and it stuck to that pavement like it was magnetized. Back then in high school that car was the SHIT xD! Granted now I have my 88 Supra Turbo and he has a 97 Jetta GLX so we've moved on to bigger and better things. But he still says it was a great car to learn in.

supralover2

Jul 3, 2011
Lafayette,IN
mk3_7m;1732042 said:
What year's your galant? The guy worked on my car specializes in them.
and hey! I'm sixteen as well and yea maintaining a modded mk3 is like fathering a child.
But first things first.

-What you looking for in the car?
-What are you plans with it?
-Can you afford keeping it?
-Purpose?? -Daily? Track?

its a 1996 gtz

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

te72;1732140 said:
I wouldn't have the tools or the mechanical knowledge I do (which is limited to mechanical, electrical is still voodoo to me) if not for my Toyotas. First being an old Corolla, and my 3 Supras over the years. ALL Supras will need work at some point, this is generally a fact.

All depends on the driver and the stang's setup. I've embarrassed many a Mustang over the years, no big deal. That said, stock for stock, you'll lose. BUT... your car will always be classy, comfortable, and probably be worth more in the long run if you take care of it. Put it this way: Mustang might be faster, but I'm sure Ford has popped out more Mustangs in the last week than Toyota EVER produced the Supras...

VERY good advice here. I will say this: I'm *still* in debt over a car I bought on impulse, and this was from 4 years ago...

All that said, my recommendation is still Miata. Girly looking is about the worst anyone can say about them. Bang for the buck, you'll have a hard time finding a car that will be as fun. Not to mention, if you have any canyon roads nearby, once you learn to drive one quickly, not many things will be able to keep up in the twisties. ;)

thats y i dont want it cuz it looks girly i wanna have a first car that i can say 10 years later ya i had that for a first car and it was amazing

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Fox or SN-95 mustang, you'll walk all over, it's not even a contest.

Still, for a first car, I don't recommend a Supra. Lot of car, can be expensive, and doesn't endure neglect at all (overheat it: BHG, run low on oil: rodknock). If you want a Toyota, I suggest anything with a 22R in it :rofl:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Those can make great cars but iirc the turbo ones get crank walk pretty easy.

Maybe a ae86 corolla would be good. Small low power light weight car that fits 4 people. reliable and cheap and easy to fix as well.

Same thing for a nissan 240.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Get something simple, like a Civic. It's cheap to run, reliable, and when things break, cheap to fix. They're also cheap to make faster.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Poodles;1733926 said:
Get something simple, like a Civic. It's cheap to run, reliable, and when things break, cheap to fix. They're also cheap to make faster.

Completely agree here. A mid to late 90s civic would be a blast. Can be a very cheap car AND can be a slick ride if you keep it clean.

A civic will cost a fraction what a Mk3 does in the long run.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The best part about a civic is it costs 20-30 to fill the tank and you get like 2+ times the amount of miles that you will get out of any 7m.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya but 40mpg is cool.. Esp when you start paying for gas.

240 get good gas as well. plus parts are too cheap and theres millions of them and parts.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
But actually buying a 240 that isn't a complete basketcase POS for cheap isn't going to happen because of the drifto craze...

Also, there's nothing wrong with VTEC. All car companies run a form of it now...