MK2+7M+v160+5.29 final drive

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
Yes you read it right. A 5.29 final drive. Im building a screamer and that is the reason that I want a 5.29 final drive. The main question here is, has anyone with a 7M used either a v160 or v161 manual trans. I absolutely want 6 speed and love the closeness of gears. Anyone know what would be needed to do this setup? Anybody????

YES.....
THERE.....
IS......
ALOT.......
OF............
SHIFTING...............

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
Your guess is pretty rough alright. Your only off by 135kmph. 7k rpm. 5.29 final drive. .793 gear ratio in 6th. And last but not least a tire height of 24.7in. But good guess!!!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You might be the first to try this setup that I've seen, sounds like it would be a lot of fun in the Mk2. For the sake of having it out there, since it's been brought up, what WOULD your top speed be at 7k?

You know... I can't say I've ever seen a V160 attached to a 7m before. JZ's all over the place, but I don't think this has been done with a 7m yet.

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
122mph. This is a purpose built race car Im building, so im not looking at trying alot of combinations to find out if I like something or not. Im just looking for what will work the best for my intent and purpose. Im glad you took interest in this though. Most people run turbo to get power, (I dont have anything against it myself) I would like to try something different. High RPM's. 7k RPM is a realistic start. But Im going to be shooting much higher than that. Thats why I would like to try one of those tranies. At those RPMS, when you shift, you should be really close to you powerband. Your always going to get nay-sayers when you try something different. Thats just the way things are. Some people dont have anything intelligent to say, all they can do is type and hit POST with their BASS AKWARDS way of thinking.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
NashMan;1788906 said:
5.29 ummm your top speed will be ummm 100km ish rough guess
I read this and thought....

NAscreamer;1789150 said:
Some people dont have anything intelligent to say, all they can do is type and hit POST with their BASS AKWARDS way of thinking.
then read this, hit the post button and closed the door behind me...

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
mytmk3;1789155 said:
pretty sure I saw a while ago there is a kit in japan to mate the 7m to the v160 very pricey as you would expect
If you can remember where you saw it, a link would be nice. If not, any websites or shops that you may know of that might have any info on this would be of great help. Thanks!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I was thinking r or an w trans

mating any thing els to a 7m is gonna cost alot of money then make a 7m spin is more money good luck......

might as well buy a 1jz with a w58 and stick a 4.30 in it then use 2jzge fly and clutch

good luck spinny spin spin

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
I know that already. Im not trying to build this car in a week or anything like that. Nor is it going to be a daily driver. Its going to be a race car. I want a car that revs high and due to the gearing will stay at high RPM. I dont post my INTENDED GOAL for RPM because most people will say that is not possible. Its not stupid high or anything, but it is rather ambitous. So to save a whole lot of deveating from the topic I dont post my intended RPM. I know how much those tranies cost, between 4-7K. Most people would say that I should just turbo my car and put this in it or that. THANX!... BUT.... Thats not what I want nor was it the information that I requested. If anyone has information on a v160 on a 7M, THAT.... would be helpful. I have done some research on the topic and found out that the bellhousing on the v160 actually does not come off by its self. When you do remove the bellhousing, it pulls part of the trans with it. Not like the w58. Most likely I will have to fab my own adapter plate as well as cut part of v160 bellhousing off and weld a adapter plate to the v160.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
We once modified the V160 to bolt to a 7M with no adapter plate and moved the shifter to the stock R154 position. I should have some pictures of it. Wasn't easy but was darn well worth it to have an extra gear for highway cruising.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, I love a good well geared, high compression NA car, they're fun. Not common in Supras, but fun. If we were talking a Mk3 here, I'd say you were out of your mind, as NA engines just don't make enough torque to have much fun in such a heavy car, but... we're talking Mk2 here, totally different story there. I would however suggest that high rpms are not the 7m's natural strong suit, the stroke is going to make achieving your goal quite a nightmare and a half. A JZ on the other hand (or... 1uz? :evil2: ) would be quite a bit better suited for sustained high rpm duty. Should read through some of IJ's threads.

Not to say 7m's can't rev high, but there are a LOT of issues needing attention that come up when you do. ;)

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
IBoughtASupra;1789330 said:
We once modified the V160 to bolt to a 7M with no adapter plate and moved the shifter to the stock R154 position. I should have some pictures of it. Wasn't easy but was darn well worth it to have an extra gear for highway cruising.
Any pics of THIS would be awsome!!

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
airhead04;1789329 said:
Where did you get your 122mph at??? I did the calcs and keep coming up with 97.27mph top speed.

That was obviously with the 7k limiter.

Just curious.
OK, I got it. :yikes: The reason why you keep coming up with that is you are using either 4th grear from a w58, or 5th gear from the v160. You are using a 1:1 ratio when you should be plugging in .818. Thats 6th gear in the v160. :icon_bigg

NAscreamer

clutch kick
Dec 23, 2011
chicago(south side)
te72;1789358 said:
Eh, I love a good well geared, high compression NA car, they're fun. Not common in Supras, but fun. If we were talking a Mk3 here, I'd say you were out of your mind, as NA engines just don't make enough torque to have much fun in such a heavy car, but... we're talking Mk2 here, totally different story there. I would however suggest that high rpms are not the 7m's natural strong suit, the stroke is going to make achieving your goal quite a nightmare and a half. A JZ on the other hand (or... 1uz? :evil2: ) would be quite a bit better suited for sustained high rpm duty. Should read through some of IJ's threads.

Not to say 7m's can't rev high, but there are a LOT of issues needing attention that come up when you do. ;)
Do you know what specific issues you are refering to?