mishimoto radiator

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I was thinking about buying one as well, but the Mishimoto only has about 7.5 fins per inch versus the 20 (or so) fins per inch that the other brands have.

For those who are using a Mishimoto, how well does it cool? Do you notice an increase in temps given the fact that is has less then half of the "normal" fins per inch that the stock (and other brands) have?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Well, I can tell you that the one that I got last week will not fit without major modifications. I have been in touch with Mishimoto and they are working on the problem, which seems to be a labeling issue.
Sean (funky_monkey58) has had 3 and they all fit perfectly the first time. We'll see if the next unit is a proper Supra unit when it arrives. I would wait for a week or two to make sure all the distributors have the correct radiator for you.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I have one. It's a nice looking piece. I compared to the stock shroud and seems to line up as good as possible. I have also herd of people getting radiators that the bottom pins don't line up with the factory mounts on the bottom but I compared mine to stock and they lined up perfect. Here's some pics comparing my Mishimoto to stock.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 55
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 74

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Unless they have fixed all the issues (upper mounts, lower rad support clearance, fan shroud mounts, leaky drain plug) like mine had, pass. If I had to do it all over again, I would have sprung for the koyo the first time and actualy saved money.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^That has all been fixed and some teflon tape would have solved that issue.

If you still have your mishimoto; contact them and tell them your issues and they'll send you another. :)

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Zumtizzle;1416809 said:
what radiators have 20+ fins per square inch?

I'm just going by what I seen in this post. If you have any pics or facts to prove otherwise, I'd love to see them, as I was really considering purchasing a Mishimoto until I read this post. If it cools better then stock, I thinks it's a great radiator for the price.

ma71supraturbo said:
I'm starting to compile info & specs on the radiator options now. If it's anything like my previous compilations, I probably won't touch this for another 5 years... Anyway, keep in mind there's more to a radiator than just its core size (or worse, its end-tank size). The Mishimoto, for example, seems like a fantastic deal until you realize it only has 7.25 fins per inch. It's big core size means it can probably get away with it, but its definitely not ideal. I'm going to guess that the Megan is probably in the same ballpark.

Stock: $425, 2-row?, 1.15" core, ?? fpi

CSF OEM: $185, 2-row, 1.3" core, ?? fpi *AT

CSF Race: $340 (discontinued), 2-row, 2" core, ?? fpi

Koyo OEM: $130, 2-row, 1.25" core, 20 fpi *AT

Koyo R: $360, 2-row, 2.1" core, 20 fpi (requires modification to fit factory fan shroud for 7ms)

Mishimoto: $240, 2-row, 2.2" core size, 7.25 fpi (requires modification to fit factory fan shroud)

Megan Racing: $245, 3-row, ?? core size, ?? fpi

PWR: $500, 2-row, 2.2" core, 18 fpi

Fluidyne: $475, 2-row, 1.5" core, 17 fpi

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
If you are on the edge I would say the mishimoto is a good piece but they have had their issues with quality control. However they are very good about replacing units that are not 100% and offer an unconditional no questions asked warranty. Crash your car they will replace the radiator type of jazz.

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
I also would appreciate some statements on this radiator. :wavey:

I live in germany and no shop has it, so I have to buy it in the US. Some shops here have Koyos or Fluidynes, but they cost a lot more than this one. First because of shipping costs and second because of taxes (3,5 % customs duty and 19 % VAT on top of the selling price + shipping cost).
So you can't get a Fluidyne here for less than 500 € (731 $). :icon_sad:

All in all the Mishimoto would cost 320 € (469 $). Quite a difference. :biglaugh:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Looks like the 7 Fin per inch myth has been busted.

If you bought it last month; it'll be the new one. But to make sure does it take top mounts?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Zumtizzle;1417907 said:
Looks like the 7 Fin per inch myth has been busted.

If you bought it last month; it'll be the new one. But to make sure does it take top mounts?

If you took at a roughly 1.25 inch diameter pipe and cut it in half lenth wise so your left with two half circular pieces of aluminum, it has something to that extent welded into the top on either side. ill grab a picture later.