might be getting a celica all trac..

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
does anyone know about these? i love them but know little. i think tis a ct-12 turbo. wheres a good site to find out about the all trac and get parts?

thanks guys. im really excited about this find.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
They use the CT26 (not quite the same as the 7M though), and are absolutely horrific for doing regular maintenance on, most owners sell the car instead of doing a clutch on it.

Just something to think about. If it's in good shape, I'd love to have one! They're nice cars.

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
ohh. well we found two. dave is going to buy them both of them. and hes gonna sell me one. one runs and one has everything in it but needs to be wired up. it ahs a jdm engine. he also ahs another engine and turbo and some parts. im excited about it and im not worried about working on it. how hard cna an awd clutch be? if its anything like a dsm or an awd 3000gt its simple. alls ya gotta do is pull drive shaft and take out a coupple extra bolts for the transfer case. ive been around alot of awd mitsubishis so im hopeing its about the same to work on. they are clean and look like they are in good shape. its just so rare its something id like to have.. running or not. id be up for a rebuild. so how about support for them here? can i get stuff. they will probably need brakes and wheel bearings and things of that nature.

dirty jersey.

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
hah wow.. well im sure its worth it. and i do ahve plenty of resources to do just that. the owner said both cars have centerforce clutchs. so hopefully they are in good shape. im tring to find parts for it now and so far ive only come across spec clutchs. i hope this guy isn't full of it. i don't really want a car from someone who doesn't know what they are doing but its so cheap and so rare i have no choice!

i want it i want it i want it

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
I was looking into many alltracs a while ago. They look like sweet cars from what i read. Very well-rounded little car. Quick, 4wd, a good high end speed, and nice handling... oh yeh, cant forget the comfy insides. :biglaugh:
I never read on any of these kind of websites where you can see the common problems of the car. Alltrac.net is good but i think it caters more to the st205's out there, but still worth a look.

What years were you looking into, an 86-89 (st165) or 90-93 (st185)?

I think i had some good websites bookmarked on my old computer and i might be able to get them to you within a day or so, but dont count on it.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
I've had 4 celicas but none of them was All-Trac!!!(85,86,89,90) I still won't a All-Trac some day:love:

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
they were 88's. one was in good shape and ran. the other had a jdm engine and needed to be wires. everything was together in it though. the only thing about the second one that didn't run sit he door didn't close right. but i can yoink a door off any old celica. both white with good paint. im probably gonna end up giving dave a bit for the second one. and ill get that running. i was gonna drop a 14b in my laser or get an awd dsm and build that up, but this seems like too much fun and it will be wayy different around here. im not sure which car ahs which, but one car has 160k on it and the other about 170k. the guy wanted 1500 dollars for both of them. one was from NH and the other NY. hopefully nothing shady and both of them have titles and all. but i jsut want one so bad! nothing gets you more excited when you look it it fmo the back and you see 'all trac' on the back of that.

(thats the sweetest font ever)

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
xride63 said:
nothing gets you more excited when you look it it fmo the back and you see 'all trac' on the back of that.

(thats the sweetest font ever)

Yep.. i get that feeling ever time i see a Previa Alltrac too!! :biglaugh:

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
I had one, a '90' it is a CT-26 just like the MR2, identical as a matter of fact, the engines are the same but the intercooler arrangement is different on the 2, the early ones 88-89 are water intercooled the later ones 90-93 were air to air, and yes to do a clutch just pull it, saves alot of cussing and b/s.
I prefer the MK3 though, even though the engine is a 6 and heavier, the All-Trac was a fun car, modified you can see speed in excess of 140 mph, also my all-trac was way quicker than the wrx.
William 89T

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
trydrew said:
I was looking into many alltracs a while ago. They look like sweet cars from what i read. Very well-rounded little car. Quick, 4wd, a good high end speed, and nice handling... oh yeh, cant forget the comfy insides. :biglaugh:
I never read on any of these kind of websites where you can see the common problems of the car. Alltrac.net is good but i think it caters more to the st205's out there, but still worth a look.

What years were you looking into, an 86-89 (st165) or 90-93 (st185)?

I think i had some good websites bookmarked on my old computer and i might be able to get them to you within a day or so, but dont count on it.

ST165 was 88-89
ST185 was 90-93

No 86-87 All-Trac. :)

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
If there 88's u should put the newer motor in it (185) from the 2nd gen!! I was thinking of doing that when I had a celica but I boke it first!!!!

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
anyone ever seen the carolla all-trac wagons??? are they forced induction???? never seen one accpet driving buy, that would be SLEEPER!!

previa all-trac = soccer mom i would BANG......hehe also tell me you've moded it!!!

john

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
jesus me and my friend are plannin g on putting in a clutch for his 88 alltrac oursleves. wed better not have to pull the engine. so what is required for that, unbolt transmission, driveshaft and some other bolts and lower tranny, change the clutch disc and pressure platye and bearing and rebolt it? please tell me this is all we have to do...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
jester1341 said:
anyone ever seen the carolla all-trac wagons??? are they forced induction???? never seen one accpet driving buy, that would be SLEEPER!!

Nope, the Corolla All-Trac's have the 4A-FE engine. They were all wagons, except for in 89 when they made all All-Trac sedan, I want one of those, they're great cars.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
i've got one, it's in the shop right now... just go over it carefully before you buy it... rust is a big thing, especially on the rear wheel wells/arches

yes the clutch does require engine removal, and it's a bitch. many shops won't even work on the car, so it can be hard to find a competent mechanic sometimes.

other than that, it's awesome. mine is currently undergoing a rally spec engine upgrade, with a bunch of other goodies. i think i posted a few pics a while back somewhere on here.

some common problems/things that need replacing/have been overlooked by previous owners... some of the tranny/diff bushings, the struts, the wheel bearings... oil leaks will also a problem, especially with those high mileages, if the gaskets haven't ever been replaced.

also some things to consider... it gets worse gas mileage than the supra (the awd), and it's a totally different kind of car. the supra is a great high speed car, you can go 100 and it feels great. the alltrac was made for low speed driving, stopping and starting quickly, and low speed cornering on rough/bad surfaces. the ride will be much much harsher, no matter how you have the suspension set up. it feels like a rally car, because, it is, not a touring/track car like the supra.

all in all, in my opinion, the st185 is one of the best cars toyota ever made, and the WRC titles prove it. i love the style of the st165, and basically all the same issues apply to both models... the st165 has even less creature comforts than the st185 though.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
to pull the engine on one of these cars.... you do all the normal stuff, unhook harness, coolant lines, oil lines... Then you pull the front axles and back drive shaft. Then you unbolt the transfer case out of the back of the trans. Unbolt your motor mounts and out it comes. Its not that bad, I've done it on my ST165....