Messed up my AFM, will Lexus AFM work for me?

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
I was out boosting a couple days ago and a radiator hose broke (small one that supplies the turbo) and coolant sprayed out all over the engine bay.
The car is'nt running properly after that.
I dried everything out, esp. aruond the plugs.
The car seems to run fine when its cold and I rev it on the driveway but as soon as I run it and step on the gas it missfires.
When the car is hot it missfires even when i rev it on the driveway.
So I figure that some coolant has been sucked in to the AFM (I have an open airfilter) and the sensitive mirrors in it has been soiled.

Can I switch to a Lexus AFM and still be on stock injectors if I don't boost to high or do I have to upgrade to 550:s as well?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
don't "figure" that coolant was sucked into the AFM. DIAGNOSE the problem the correct way, by checking the codes. :) use the link in my sig, below.

-shaeff

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
the lexus afm uses the same kv sensor as ours. you could pick up a lex afm and just swap the sensor over. then later down the road when you have more equipment you could swap over the afm itself.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
i wouldnt run it unless you have 550cc injectors or a way to tune cause you will run lean (thats if you use the lexus housing)

if you just use the electronics you will be fine

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
^^What they said. Electronics are same...But if using the whole Lex AFM, be prepared for a leannnnn ride (bye-bye motor) or get 550's.

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
I'm thinking perhaps I should go for a Maft Pro instead, a used Lexus AFM will cost me like $300 and a Maft Pro with all the trimmings is about $600 and then I'll get a boost controller and fuel computer...
No more AFM!

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
StefanLarsson said:
I'm thinking perhaps I should go for a Maft Pro instead, a used Lexus AFM will cost me like $300 and a Maft Pro with all the trimmings is about $600 and then I'll get a boost controller and fuel computer...
No more AFM!

$300??? WOW, I got mine from a junkyard for $30, but they go for 120-150 on eBay. But you would need injectors and an SAFC.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Well I'm getting a Lex AFM for $20.
Just look around.

And don't EVAR!!!!!!!1111 ;) dare go to a Toyota Dealership for something like that. You might as well pull your pants down and bend over when you walk in...

Dealerships are good for little things (but still expensive). :(

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
Well, the problem is, I'm in Sweden and Lexus cars are pretty rare, we all drive Volvos over here so I don't think Toyota bothered trying to sell Lexus..
The $300 AFM is from the junkyard and they are usually 40% of the price for a new one, so...
I cleaned out the AFM today and the car runs pretty good now but it still hesitates at WOT and I'm very lean so a MAFT pro or a new AFM is a must...

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Water could still be in your spark plug galley. That's what it sounds like to me. If you're not throwing a code, the AFM is okay.

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
for those of u who have yet to look into a MAFT pro system but are all saying ur gonna need an SAFC 2 and a boost controller, "all the trimmings" includes a boost control solenoid if u get the kit from HPF, also it gives u the ability to adjust the fuel map +/-60% at 12 rpm points in 3 load tables, if i remember right thats almost exactly the same or better than an SAFC 2

supra_driven

Jun 3, 2005
dfw
drbowser3 said:
$300??? WOW, I got mine from a junkyard for $30, but they go for 120-150 on eBay. But you would need injectors and an SAFC.

Just got mine for $10 + tax at my local pick-n-pull salvage yard. If they don't know what it is, then you are in luck. I'm on stock injectors for now, but afc and wideband is going in shortly. Also, there was a chart showing all the injectors of an fc rx7 that showed which 550's were compatible with the 7mgte. Does anyone have a link?

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
I cleaned out the plugs twice, it's dry, it made a big difference when I cleaned out the AFM but it isn't 100%. I recon the AFM isn't completly gone it just gives the engine a incorrect reading, therefore messing up the a/f ratio...