Max Boost vs AFR Question on 7M

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
I currently have my manual boost controller set to max out 1.3 bar while pulling hard between 2nd thru 4th gears. When I accelerate at higher cruising speeds the boost jumps up to 1.45, the warning light on my boost gauge goes off and I back off immediately. Boost creep? While I am in the process of figuring out how to control the upper limits of the boosting, I want to avoid a piston melt down.

My question is, based on my mods below, if the AFR remains in the 10 or so range, how much boost can I run on pump gas before bad things happen? Or maybe the question should be posed with 550cc injectors, timing, etc, taken into consideration as well. I just don't want to assume anything.

The AEM WB, usually stays pegged at 10.0. and maybe hits 11 while at WOT. Keeping in mind I am watching the road and just glancing at the WB. Of course this all happens super fast. Also, FYI, I never hit fuel cut. (yet)

Like most of us, I've put a few coins in the build. The car is idling good and pulling hard at 1.3 and I am not really trying to squeeze more HP out of it at this time, I just want to avoid an ignorant mistake. Better to ask now than to come back here later asking, "why did I melt a piston", and have to listen to everyone pile on my dumb ass! lol

If you can improve my question to give a better explanation, by all means.... I'm all ears....

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't know how much boost you can run without knowing if you're getting knock or not. I personally wouldn't run that much. Isn't that like 20-21 psi when creeping? I run 22psi on mine with a larger turbo, but I have meth. I know people that run 23 psi daily on pump gas with turbo's equivalent to yours, but in my mind it's only a matter of time before you detonate. Hopefully you want, and I am by no means an expert on this topic. I'm only stating what I run and that I would be scared to run that much boost on pump gas. Good luck.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
exactly... I feel safe at 18 or so. But the creep to 21+ gets me backing down pronto.... In the mean time I am either not going to run at high speeds in 4th and 5th or lower the MBC so it never goes above 18 at 4th and 5th gear pulls.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I "personally" would back it down. I doubt in a highspeed race, you could keep your foot out of the throttle.
Again, I don't know that your boost levels are unsafe and I doubt anyone can tell you that they are because all cars are different. I ran 17.5 psi through my gt35r for over a year and a half with no problems at all on my 1jz on 93 octane. I might could have ran more, but I wasn't willing to risk it. Good luck., Jay

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It will break the ring lands long before it melts anything.

AI-TR-PIN%20-%201.jpg

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
IJ.;1475198 said:
It will break the ring lands long before it melts anything.

AI-TR-PIN%20-%201.jpg

In your experience, at what boost threshold would you estimate that the rings lands begin to fail?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
About 2 psi over the first bad bout of detonation.

Personally I find what I consider to be a safe tune on the dyno listening for incipient detonation then back it down 2psi and 2 degrees of timing from there as a safety margin.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
IJ.;1475217 said:
About 2 psi over the first bad bout of detonation.

Personally I find what I consider to be a safe tune on the dyno listening for incipient detonation then back it down 2psi and 2 degrees of timing from there as a safety margin.

Thanks for the info.... I need to take a trip to the local dyno for some tuning. Might be time to start a new thread....

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
yes I should go aead and hook up the Data logger from the AEM WB. I was getting ready to order the Zeitronix for better analysis. But say I hook up the AEM and see low 10:1 AFR's boosting to 1.4 bar, verifying what the AEM guage is displaying. Would it be safe?

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
lol squiggly lines.
I could see my clutch slip in squiggly lines before I upgraded to the Spec
attachment.php

Scot - You're running a 18yr old fpr with large turbo, 1.4bar and bigger fuel pump.
You said it yourself, it happens super fast.
I would want to start slow and know what is happening from my logs as I gradually up the boost.
No one is going to say Yeah you'll be fine at 1.4 bar.

Here is a good read on AFR:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=159348&post159348

BTW: Zeitronix is good. I like mine.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Going to order the Zetronix tomorrow.... get the AFPR installed soon, taking the IC pipes to get ceramic coated tomorrow too. In the mean time I'm gonna back her off a bit.

Since no one is gonna tell me what want to hear! lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nobody wants to be responsible for you rebuilding your engine and then blaming it on the 7m.........:biglaugh:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
First question i have is how are you running 18+psi on stock TCCS without fuel cut? What are you using to tune with? 20+psi on pump gas is a little more then i would trust, i wouldn't go much over ~16 without methanol or race gas. But thats me, and i share the same feeling as Ian about running a safe mild tune.

AFR, while important, doesn't change the detonation characteristics of a fuel thats not up to octane par in an environment it cant handle. I wouldn't be so much worried about the AFR being correct as much as id be worried about the boost pressure alone causing severe detonation.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
My turbo and mods are similar to yours. On the dyno we noticed knock starting to happen at 24psi of boost WITH water/meth using the biggest AEM nozzle. I did what IJ does, and backed the stock base timing down 2 degrees and I limit my boost to 21psi on pump/methanol. On your turbo, I would limit the boost to 15 psi on pump gas, and suggest adding a meth kit to run up to 22psi, retuned on the dyno to 11.5 AFR.

Also, get an electronic boost controller installed that can adjust boost-per-gear. I had to adjust my Apex'i AVCR in each gear, because I got a little creep in the higher gears as well. Not only that, I can limit my boost to wastegate spring in 1st gear, 18psi in 2nd, and 22psi in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Grip in all gears FTW! :D

nosechunks;1475664 said:
First question i have is how are you running 18+psi on stock TCCS without fuel cut?

Running a rising rate fuel pressure regulator with 50psi base pressure raises the fuel cut very high. Water/meth can also add fuel. I got up to 28psi with no fuel cut and 515rwhp on my 550's and SAFC + water/meth/C16, pulling 19-25% fuel on the SAFC.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Thanks for everyone's helpful responses...

I have some tuning theory to learn.... Off to search land....